• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

Well I finally found one mock draft that has mallet in the first round which begs the question: why would you take a person at pick 12 when virtually everyone thinks he is a second rounder. Of course the vikings are looking at him. It's because there is a great chance he's on the board at 44 and its possible things didn't go there way at 12. Or in the chance they trade down toward the end of the first where you could justify taken him. But it isn't going to happen at 12.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

I say we don't even take a QB at #12 at all. We can get fill a bigger gap somewhere else and still get one of these QB's everyone is talking about in the 2nd round. If they are all a toss up why risk the 1st pick on a weak draft class. A couple of these guys will slip, Rodgers was supposed to be the 1st or 2nd best QB of his draft and slipped to the late 1st. Here your talking about 4-5 guys that are toss ups.

Maybe there's a guy playing arena football and bagging groceries like Kurt Warner. Not bad for a non drafted QB. Then there is Tom Brady. I'm sure there are more. I wouldn't waste the pick on Mallet, Newton or Locker hoping that one could be the next Manning.

D line is getting really old. D backs are questionable. O-line needs some help.

Hoping for the next once in a lifetime Tom Brady is a better option than the qbs you listed???? First and foremost this team needs the answer at qb. You don't go anywhere in the NFL without that answer. Hoping for the next Tom Brady is s far fetched option. I would rather see Mallet than some long shot in the 6th round.

Well I finally found one mock draft that has mallet in the first round which begs the question: why would you take a person at pick 12 when virtually everyone thinks he is a second rounder. Of course the vikings are looking at him. It's because there is a great chance he's on the board at 44 and its possible things didn't go there way at 12. Or in the chance they trade down toward the end of the first where you could justify taken him. But it isn't going to happen at 12.

Well, we are the Vikings after all. You might ask why they would use a draft pick to move up in the 2nd to grab a QB who was projected to go in the 6th. Or why they would trade 7 players and 5 draft picks to get a RB that doesn't even like running in the system they are using.

On way or the other there are a whole bunch of teams in the league that need a QB and there is not a very good chance he will be there at 44 so we either take him at 12 if we want him, trade back and gain a pick if we think he will fall a little bit, or just plan on going with what we have.

True saying....Not pertinent, but true. There is a HUGE difference between "ignoring history" and letting it control you, so you don't do anything......

This year leading up to the draft is lame, we could be signing some free agents or making some trades so we could have better direction heading into the draft.

I say we don't even take a QB at #12 at all. We can get fill a bigger gap somewhere else and still get one of these QB's everyone is talking about in the 2nd round. If they are all a toss up why risk the 1st pick on a weak draft class. A couple of these guys will slip, Rodgers was supposed to be the 1st or 2nd best QB of his draft and slipped to the late 1st. Here your talking about 4-5 guys that are toss ups.

+1.

The vikings have a bigger gap than the qb position?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I agree zep...but we need one so a reach is likely if the top 2 are still there smile

All we need is a real bad record (the worst in the NFL) this year and we will have Luck next year laugh

Why does everyone think Luck is going to be a great pro quarterback?

He's been a good college quarterback but that doesn't always transfer to the pros. A quarterback is going to be only a sgood as the team around him and the Vikings are a long way from having the pieces to compliment a good college quarterback.

I agree zep...but we need one so a reach is likely if the top 2 are still there smile

All we need is a real bad record (the worst in the NFL) this year and we will have Luck next year laugh

The Vikes are in a terrible spot (#12) in the draft order for picking a qb. The top couple of guys will probably be gone right away. If we wait until the 2nd round to pick one we may be out of luck then also...almost every team that drafts in front of us needs a qb also.

The Vikes WILL take a qb early in this draft...they almost have to. I think they'll go with Mallet.

The vikings have a bigger gap than the qb position?

No, but I don't think they should rush out and pick up any QB with the #12 pick just for the sake to get a QB. A QB you can get at #12 this year you can probably get in the 20's. Trade down and stack some picks and still get one of the top 5 QB's in the draft. One or two Qb's end up being good per draft if your lucky, chances are we won't pick the right one.

I'll put up any amount of money that they won't take mallet at 12

Mallet to spend TWO days with the Vikings this week...just sayin.

Why waste the #12 pick on someone that in any other draft wouldnt be worthy of a mid 2nd to a mid 3rd. If other teams are stretching an d grabbing mediocre QB's, that will just leave better players on the board for us, that are worthy of a better pick. If our guy isnt there at 12, get the BPA to fill a hole in our team, lord knows we have many. Even if we dont get a QB out of the draft this year, isnt going to kill us, we are already a dead team, with many holes. By drafting a 3rd round QB with the #12 pick will just hurt the team that much more in the future, (see T-Jack). If we have to let Webb play this year, and fill in the other holes first, then draft QB next year. More then likely, there wont be as many teams in need of a QB next year, and we can get more bang for the buck with our pick.

Just curious where you saw that info on Mallet with the Vikes for 2 days? Just because a team spends some time with a guy, doesn't mean they are going to take them with their 1st round pick. All it means is they are interested enough to"see what makes them tick"....or as Frazier said "do dilligance". He also said " we can't afford to get it wrong".(QB) I am glad to see them working the process hard, and not just listening to rumors.

I do believe #43 pick is too late for a top QB this year,so if they identify a guy they think is IT, it might mean a trade down , a few spots, in the first. IS IT WORTH IT?????????? confused

Mallet isn't a top pick! I NO ONE thinks this guy is a first rounder. There is NOTHING out there to suggest otherwise. Not a hint. If they take him at 12 they will have found yet another way to be the laughing stock of this league.

Who's to say they don't like him as their 2nd round pick and they have their eye on a different player at pick #12.

James...I don't know where you're getting your info from from but I just read an article about teams possibly jumping ahead of the Vikes to take Mallet. It's supply and demand.

8 of the 12 teams drafting in front of the Vikes need a qb...some behind them too. Mallet and Locker will both be gone by the time they draft in round 2. You either take one of them at 12 or say goodbye to both...maybe that's a good thing.

Mallet is THE BEST professional prospect as a PASSER in this draft...and it's not even close. He's also played in a pro-style (west coast offense) the last two years against some of the best defenses in the country. Do the Vikes like Mallet...Locker...who knows? I guess at the end of this week they'll know alot more...and we'll know the same...nothing.

Two day visits aren't spent on guys they are thinking about taking in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Zepman,

Agreed Mallet has potential but I watched him 4 or 5 times this year and most of the time they were running a spread offense and threw in a west coast twist every once in a while. I honestly don't know if Mallet is any better than what we have as he is totally unproven in a pro situation. Mallet still has problems with footwork and accuracy issues on mid field throws. Of course that will come with experience. To pick the best of the worst this year just because we need a quarterback is dangerous. I agree with others in saying if he is around in the second round take him but he is not a firast round pick. Kiper and Mcshay can't even agree on him asfar as talent is concerned and they are supposed to be the gurus of the draft. I Vikings can't gamble with their first round pick this year they have too many other positions to fill with players that have displayed better talent and ability.

Is it really worth the Vikings using a draft pick on a questionable QB this year? He may or may not turn out. Then next year, another pick has to used for that same position. This is like a early 90's lion football flashback.

the lion's played football in the 90's???????? oh you are talking about the time when everyone else in the division was worse. hahahahahaha!!!

Zepman,

Agreed Mallet has potential but I watched him 4 or 5 times this year and most of the time they were running a spread offense and threw in a west coast twist every once in a while. I honestly don't know if Mallet is any better than what we have as he is totally unproven in a pro situation. Mallet still has problems with footwork and accuracy issues on mid field throws. Of course that will come with experience. To pick the best of the worst this year just because we need a quarterback is dangerous. I agree with others in saying if he is around in the second round take him but he is not a firast round pick. Kiper and Mcshay can't even agree on him asfar as talent is concerned and they are supposed to be the gurus of the draft. I Vikings can't gamble with their first round pick this year they have too many other positions to fill with players that have displayed better talent and ability.

I agree with all of this and I'm of the opinion that they give Webb a chance over ALL the qb's in this years class. My only concern is that the Vikes have stated numerous times how they plan to pick up a QB early in THIS draft. Without free-agency...you almost have to take them at their word. IMO, all the qb's in this years draft need 2-3 years of sitting and waiting. If that were possible, I'd like Locker over all of them. Since I believe the qb we draft will get extensive playing time THIS YEAR, I hope they end up with Mallet, as I believe him to be the only one who could keep Percy, Rice, AD and CO. happy enough here to sign extensions when it's time.

I like Webb...if it were me drafting, I'd be picking o-lineman early and often to help him develop over the next few years.

Lets start this up again. All the latest mock drafts have the Vikes taking Prince Amukamara in the first and Locker, if he makes it past Washington, in the second round. Picking Amukamara would enable Cedric Griffin to move to safety supposedly.

What's everybody think?

I just heard a couple on the radio today and both had locker going in the first to the skins.