• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

I'm starting to like Stanzi more also, the trick with any draft is figuring out WHEN to take who you want. Every year teams are all over "the board" with their picks, so just bacause we may have someone as a preferred 4th pick, NO guarantee they will be there yet. The method of BPA is sound ,when you use your own board to pick from. LET THE MEDIA SECOND GUESS ALL THEY WANT! In the end, you got your guys(as many as were available anyway).

I look at all the players I would like on our team......we need about 5 extra picks. cry

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

What we need is this CBA to get done so we (and eveyone else) can start signing (or losing) free agents.

Until that happens...I don't know how anyone is going to fill out their draft boards...every team roster right now is a huge question mark.

What we need is this CBA to get done so we (and eveyone else) can start signing (or losing) free agents.

Until that happens...I don't know how anyone is going to fill out their draft boards...every team roster right now is a huge question mark.

I think its stupid! A bunch of millionaires, and billionaires fighting over money. Why dont they just stop charging so much, and the average fan would be able to afford to go to a couple games. If they actually have a lock out this year, I will loose interest, and not watch football anymore!

I actually like all these QBs ,except Koepernick, better than a couple "top tier" guys. Probably in order of preference for me...

Dalton

McElroy

Stanzi

Ponder

Devlin

Koepernick

Ponder down near the bottom only because of his injury history.

True. Stanzi would defidently be available later. There is now way Frazer takes a QB in the second unless one of the top 4-5 slip. I honestly think people are overhiped on this years QB class because of Media hype. I bet out of the top 4 at least one maybe two are still around at 12. Too many REALLY talented DB's, DL, LB, along with a few other for sure talents.

I really think Bomar and Webb are the kind of guys that will work hard enough to get better, and have enough talent, but this work stoppage really hurts them. With a new OC, and offense also, they need reps....I hope Musgrave got them a playbook. The thing is the longer the lockout goes, the less chance we even get a veteran QB at all. A veteran wouldn't have any advantage for a new offense. I was reading on another site a LOT about Bomar.....lots of talent, and he seems to be the forgotten QB.

Ben Leber discusses potential Favre return, Vikings distractions

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 18, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT

You know what this week of miserable labor talk could use? Some Brett Favre talk!

Vikings linebacker Ben Leber joined PFT Live for an engaging interview and addressed the possibility of Brett Favre returning to football in 2011. Yes, we may as well admit that a long lockout could help Favre’s chances of returning to the league. Again.

Leber also talked about why the 2010 Vikings struggled.

“I wish we had the time to go over every issue,” Leber said.

Ultimately Leber said it was “hard to battle” the distractions and off-field issues the team faced. He says many of them were never reported

Taking Stanzi in the 2nd round would be worse than taking TJack in the 2nd. He'll be available in the 4th or later rounds...why take him in the 2nd???

I don't have a crystal ball to know that but I would be willing to wager he would not be a worse mistake than Jackson.

Interestingly enough there is a bit of news surfacing that I believe will push him up the draft board including the 30 score on the Wonderlic test.

A recent article on Stanzi:

People have found it shocking to say that Ricky Stanzi could be the #1 QB in the 2011 NFL Draft, which I understand. Honestly, I barely knew who Ricky Stanzi was before the computer spit this rating out a few weeks back. After triple checking the data, I wondered "why aren't more people talking about Stanzi?" He has the size, the statistics, the arm. Outside of the quantifiable/measureable data, in my extra research Stanzi had the character, leadership, winning percentage, pro-style offense background, and lack of major injury issues as well (can't really quantify all those). All the things people jump up and down and say that they look for in a QB and it is sitting right in front of our eyes and many are missing it because Todd McShay (just pulled a name, no offense...insert Kiper or Mayock if you want to) hasn't turned on to it yet. That's not a rap on McShay (or others), it's a rap on us as collective fans.

Our mathematical system has rated Stanzi #1; and perhaps you think that analysis is crazy. However, my main thrust of this debate is -- at minimum Stanzi should at least enter the 2011 QB draft debate/discussions with the "Big-4" (Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallett). The "Big-4" QBs have obvious flaws, we're not talking four rock solid Andrew Luck-types to talk about (had Luck come out, our system would have him #1 of all QBs we have ever studied). There are serious questions marks on the "Big-4" that would make me nervous before I would crank out a 7 figure check on any of them...yet the mainstream sports media is stuck on the "Big-4" QBs with barely a whisper of Stanzi or Andy Dalton, or Pat Devlin for that matter. It's likely to change, it almost always does as we move closer to the actual Draft day.

I was reading today that Devlin is moving DOWN draft boards, because of his POOR pro day performance. Maybe we can get him as urfa, for practice squad. I'm kinda afraid we will end up with Weber there.... Ponder and Stanzi are moving up high on my list.

No way Stanzi.. Aint gonna happen. Iowa tanked this last year...Practice squad QB...I actually liked him better the year before..I would take dalton way over him....Who knows? One mans opinion...

Ol' Brett hasn't even "Officially" retired yet, maybe they plan on making the o-line bomb and havin the ol man stay. He signed some papers but we know that don't mean much lol.

Since there may not be any training camp this year....who does that benefit? A certain grandpa perhaps?

LOL yep, Favre would probably be the best QB this year if no QB's have camp, he's used to it. Longwell will probably be the best kicker too now that the NFL is gonna move the kicking spot up 5 yards.

I would prefer that Webb/ Bomar get a chance to shine , before acquiring "just any QB", cause he is a veteran. Draft one, and get one UDFA....and let the competition begin. (soon) Draft for power on the lines, and speed everywhere else.

Let Webb and Bomar play? Dumb down the Offense? Were out AP? So when his contract is up he goes somewhere else along with other FA's. A Vet QB is needed to bridge the gap till when whoever is ready. If those two are the 1 and 2 Qb's , they might as well release/trade a lot of people and start over 100%.

Look at the two games Webb started, No td passes, 17 and 20 comptetions didn't go over two hundered yards in either game.

Webb was chilly's pick. Frazier will find his idenity. Webb will hold a clip board.

its bad when lions fans are telling you there's no reason for optimism with your QBs smile

Webb should not be holding a clipboard...he should be being groomed as an "all purpose" offensive weapon.

Returning kicks/punts, wild cat qb, line him up in the backfield...in the slot...and out wide. Make him a defensive coordinators nitemare.

Whatever they do, they need to get the ball in his hands!

That would be a perfect fit for him.

To have these guys as the option for under center every snap this year would be a nightmare. With the current situation of the NFL. No way could an offense be effectively installed. They need someone with a little experience and knowledge of the game, to help speed up that process.

The Vikings are for sure one team that will be severely hurt by the mess going on right now.

I still think the Viking need to get a young QB in here, such as Vince Young, J Marcus Russel, or even T Jackson, and have an honest competition with Webb, and Boamer winner starts. We dont need a grampa in here, that is set in his ways, we need someone that is thriving, and willing to fight for a starting job. Whoever we bring in, I just want an open competition, I dont want the keys handed over to them.

I am sure you guys think I am nuts, but in the current situation, a 1 yr contract with T-Jackson, I think would give us are best chance.

You're right...I think you're nuts.

Cut ties with TJack and NEVER look back. This team needs to move on from that decision.

You're right...I think you're nuts.

Cut ties with TJack and NEVER look back. This team needs to move on from that decision.

+1, need to draft one!!!! Period!!

I dont argue with the drafting part. But with the lockouts going on, there more then likely wont be a summer training camp for the NEW QB to learn the game plans, or get the timing down with the receivers. So basically you are saying we should draft a QB, then have him not have any training camp, possibly no preseason games, then start his first passes to the Wide receivers on game 1 of the season? Which is a very likely possibility, that we wont have training camp, or even any preseason games this year.

Thats what I was getting at, I think then, T Jack would be our best option. He knows the receivers, he knows a lot of the play book, and the system. At least the previous system. And with the lock out, I think the team would be insane to make drastic changes to the system without a training camp. I dislike Jackson as much as all of you, but without a training camp, to expect a rookie QB to come in and run the offense, without any practice at all, is insane.

I dont argue with the drafting part. But with the lockouts going on, there more then likely wont be a summer training camp for the NEW QB to learn the game plans, or get the timing down with the receivers. So basically you are saying we should draft a QB, then have him not have any training camp, possibly no preseason games, then start his first passes to the Wide receivers on game 1 of the season? Which is a very likely possibility, that we wont have training camp, or even any preseason games this year.

Thats what I was getting at, I think then, T Jack would be our best option. He knows the receivers, he knows a lot of the play book, and the system. At least the previous system. And with the lock out, I think the team would be insane to make drastic changes to the system without a training camp. I dislike Jackson as much as all of you, but without a training camp, to expect a rookie QB to come in and run the offense, without any practice at all, is insane.

You must have forgot...we have a new head coach and a new offensive coordinator. TJack has no more understanding of our new offense than Ryan Mallet does.

Webb is said to be throwing to the Vikes receivers now...on their own. TJack has zero relevance with this team anymore.

Look for the vikes to grab a free agent quarterback, even if they draft a rookie. I don't think the Wilf's are ready to throw in the towell on this group on offense. Running backs have short careers, by the time a rookie QB can contribute, Peterson may be too old or too injured to be the force he is now. The present owners have never been afraid to throw money at free agents. (Favre, Allen, Berrian(OH MY!), Hutchinson)