• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

If Mallett is available at #12 - which is EXTREMELY unlikely, given his terrific showing so far at the combine, and the number of teams that need a franchise QB - the Vikings would be fools not to take him.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

I was a big supporter of Mallets, BEFORE the combine....Now RED FLAGS fly when I think about him being "the face of the franchise". If our FO are comfortable with his reported past....then I'm all for it also. I think Locker will be a better pro though.

Nothing about Mallets past has been verified by anyone...it's all just rumors up to this point.

The guy can rub some people the wrong way with his personality but his talent and skill will make him a 1st rounder this year. People tend to forget about that other stuff when he starts to hit Harvin over the middle for 60+ yarders. Vikes need to take him at 12 if he's there.

Mallet reminds me alot of Phillip Rivers...a little brash but can throw the laces off the ball.

If he treated the teams the same way he did the media....he will drop in the draft. A lot of teams won't touch him. If he was civil to them, and answered their questions honestly, I see him going high.

Tarvaris Jackson looking for fresh start

The Minnesota Vikings brought an end to the QB Tarvaris Jackson experiment by not extending a qualifying tender offer to him, reports Judd Zulgad and Chip Scoggins, of The Minneapolis Star Tribune. Jackson, as previously reported, is now free to sign with any other team that he chooses. Jackson was believed to be the team's quarterback of the future after being drafted in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft, but it never developed as the team would have hoped. He started a career-high 12 games in 2007, but was replaced early in the 2008 season and then spent most of the last two years backing up QB Brett Favre. Jackson noted earlier this year that a change of scenery and a fresh start might be what he needs.

Which CFL team do you think will sign him?

Which CFL team? shocked

I was thinking more along the lines of the kokomo mustangs of the mid continental semi pro league laugh

I watched some of the QB workouts on NFL network. Everytime they showed and talked about Newton they brought up JaMarcus Russell. That doesn't bode well for Newton

I would rather have us "reach" for one of the 2nd tier Qb's than draft Newton. I think they would be safer.

All good speculation but with the queens history with the QB position it will be Donavan Mcnabb or Carson Palmer, Kevin Kolb or perhaps ;)Jeff George(again sick) picked up to start. Then they will reach deep and pick up some unnamed slug from a Division 3 school with one year of starts under his belt to grow into the practice squad qb before a couple miserable starts and then start the search for the next journeyman, brokendown qb that they can find that might have 1 good year left in them. It doesn't matter who they pick or what round, they can't seem to get past the diamond in the rough, hope and a prayer picks when it comes to QBs. I hope I am wrong but this vicious circle has been going on for to many years to think they would stop now.

Tunrevir~

Certainly can't argue with your accessment of the past.....however, I am holding out hope that the new coaching staff can break the cycle. Our coaches ,on the offensive side, have a history of developing some guys. The BIG TRICK is identifying the right guy, getting somewhat lucky in the draft, and pulling the trigger when you get the chance. I feel good about our chances this year....at least I believe in these coaches.

Get Mallet and then REALLY solidify our offensive line thru draft and FA and we'll be good to go. I could see them going to a WR in the 2nd too. Rice and/or Berrian will both not be back next year...maybe neither.

I don't think Mallet will make it to #12...too many teams need a qb in front of us.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if we went with a DE with our #1 also. Call it the Rodgers effect if you will...if Quinn or Jordan are available I think the Vikes would have a really hard time passing on one of those two.

I think they should take BPA with the #1 pick. Considering, I think we have a hole in every position. Then round 2 they draft Colin Kaepernick, then also get a veteran QB to compete for starter this year.

"Walters quotes unnamed Vikings insiders as saying that Joe Webb is nowhere close to being an effective starter."

Should be interesting when and if teams can start signing players. Who is going to walk in the door?

I also think they'll go BPA for #1.....but that is tricky, because they will draft off THEIR OWN BOARD, not the media types who tell us the best one THEY think is. No team opens their board up for review......that is what makes the draft like a chess game(or poker). It literally changes after each pick. I'm not that high on Kaepernick, too slow a delivery. I expect a Drew Brees type QB, rather than a cannon arm without smarts. Look at the wonderlic scores and quickness of decisions, and delivery, for our QB.

I was just looking at what QB's I think would still be on the board for our second pick, and Kaepernick, looked to be the best option. I do agree, he isnt the best throwing QB, but he sure is athletical, and canwhip the ball when needed. Kinda the same player as Webb, but just better upside I think. I would love to have a great pocket passer with our second round pick, I just dont think there will be one worth it on the board for us.

Qb is a carp shoot for sure....just because a guy can throw a football 80 yards, doesn't make him a good QB. I was just reading some projections etc. and ran across something interesting. A guy was projecting college qb stats/ probable pro success, based on successful pro qbs, and came up with a surprise best prospect. Ricky Stanzi of Iowa.......interesting?????

The article is "An even more accurate system of grading college qbs" by Christopher Gates. Look it up and let me know your thoughts.....I just watched some videos of Stanzi, and I gotta tell you he is moving up in my mind.

Qb is a carp shoot for sure....just because a guy can throw a football 80 yards, doesn't make him a good QB. I was just reading some projections etc. and ran across something interesting. A guy was projecting college qb stats/ probable pro success, based on successful pro qbs, and came up with a surprise best prospect. Ricky Stanzi of Iowa.......interesting?????

Chances are pretty good the second "tier" of qb's will have just as good of chance of putting a franchise type qb in the right teams hand. The big question remains....which one and for which team.

Stanzi

Dalton

Devlin

Koepernick

Ponder

McElroy

I'll go out on a limb and say one of these 6 will be the best qb from this years class 5 years from now. If I had to pick two from the above it would be McElroy and/or Dalton.

I am a High school Biology teacher and have a good friend thats a Calc and stats teacher. We are in a Dynasty football league and basically talk football non stop all year. He is fantastic at crunching numbers and some of the stats are crazy.... for instance; Over the past 10 seasons - The odds of a first round drafted QB being a contributer / starter for more than a full season on an NFL team is about 50% with just as many busts as successes. With the second round it's around a 20% success rate over the last 10 seasons. SO.... with that in mind. Myself being a huge vikings fan and fully aware of the crazy importance of this off season for this team, I #1 - trade down several spots. Take Best player available at my first spot, if that's Mallett, Locker... so be it. They will go later than most are speculating, #2 - accrew as many blue chip players as you can in draft. Hopefully 3-4 probable contributers, at O-line, D-line, WR, and D-backs. #3 - as much as I HATE the idea, look for vetrain help or free agent help at QB. And, finally WE have to be pryaing for CBA aggrement becasue we NEED to be activly pursuing Namdi Assemmwa (spelling). Worst case scenario, we get a better crack at Andrew Luck next year. He is as close to a sure thing since Matt Ryan, but better.

sooooooo, there will be about 5 teams TRYING to LOSE all their games next year, to get Luck? Locker was rated #1 last year also.....that changed over the season.

I agree with trying to pursue Asmugha. It sure would be nice to have a shutdown corner on the other side of Winfield. I also think the Vikings need to take a long hard look at available safeties too. The ones we have are not that great.

They need to take a QB this year, no doubt about it.

This team is going no-where in the next year or two, gives the young QB some time to grow.

The central has 3 relatively young QB's in it and are set for a few years, lets follow suit and get one!!!!!!

Locker or Mallet is my choice.

The report I read about Mallets day today, from the throwing standpoint...AND the media/questioning part was all POSSITIVE. Probably threw him back into the high numbers, draft day. I wouldn't be that shocked to see Gabbert slide down a little by draft day.

Mallet will go top 10...too much talent and too many teams needing that talent.

I've heard the Vikes really like Locker...I'm hoping it's a smokescreen and Mallet falls to 12.

I have been watching tape on the college players and I agree that Mallet looks good and if we are going to a more vertical offense like the Steelers, Pats, Chargers etc he could be a good choice but in looking at the top prospects the one guy that seems to stand out for some reason is Stanzi.

My early wish list is for us to pick up Julio Jones with the 12, Stanzi with the 2nd round pick and then use the rest of the draft and FA to add depth to the OL, DL and secondary.

IMHO a 2 TE offense with Stanzi, Jones, Harvin, AP, Kleinsasser and Shank would be a force to be reckoned with.

Taking Stanzi in the 2nd round would be worse than taking TJack in the 2nd. He'll be available in the 4th or later rounds...why take him in the 2nd???