• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain '11

Beautiful day to be on the ice. Didn't need the portable and until the sun was low in the sky, my jacket stayed in the truck. Fished 30-34ish FOW w/ the most luck in 31-32. Marked fish through out the column but very tight lipped. Found out Green glow w/ medium croppie minns was the ticket for me today. Missed a few, Iced 2 cats and 2 nice eater eyes (Woohoo).

The sad part is I might have left a pair of gloves out there. They have my initials (DVH)(faintly) on them near the brand name. I know it's a stretch and whoever finds them will realize that they are nice and new but..... whistle sure would like to get them back.

Here's one of the days catches, still swimming for tomorrows enjoyment. full-7071-5325-img_20110127_163732.jpg

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• Brad B

• osok

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, yes you picked a nice day to be out there. We had actual melting going on here in the metro! Nice kitty, thanks for the report.

Was out today from about 8A-2P, fished the same area (right where my gloves were waiting). Not as many fished marked as yesterday. We both iced one each and my brother outlaw missed 2. I did get a very nice Croppie out of the deal as well. Green glow worked for us today, but I'm not sure if another color would've been more productive or not.

A lot more people were out on the ice today and some never shut their augers down (so it seemed).

DNR x2 was out checking in w/ everyone and came by to say hi.

Not as warm as yesterday but still very tolerable outside and didn't need to set up the portable.

Headin' to the chain right meow from monti. Red GMC. I'll be running around outside in this balmy weather.

I was walking right tward you at least I think it was you and saw that rodent you had on your head and said to myself that is'nt BSG and turned around and walked back. I Was in the black 3/4 ton. I am headed back yet tonight to spend the weekend out there so I can check out the early morning bite. If you are out this weekend stop over and say hi. I will either be in or by my wheel house.

I can only dream of the day when I can put a wheelhouse out there and spend the whole weekend. My kid is 3 now, I imagine he'll be big enough in a few years. Good luck out there.

Originally Posted By: riverfishingmiss

I was walking right tward you at least I think it was you and saw that rodent you had on your head and said to myself that is'nt BSG and turned around and walked back. I Was in the black 3/4 ton. I am headed back yet tonight to spend the weekend out there so I can check out the early morning bite. If you are out this weekend stop over and say hi. I will either be in or by my wheel house.

Got a present for my birthday and finally broke it out. Coyote mountain man hat. Nice and warm but I look like the old guy from Jeremiah Johnson....

Anyways pretty tough bite for myself, struggled to actually hook fish. Was seeing the spring bobber move, but they must be doing something weird to the bait instead of eating it. To which I believe I confirmed on my 3rd cat of the evening. This guy was hooked weird, Are some of these fish just running into the bait and not actually eating it? And thats what we're seeing on the bobbers?

full-27424-5347-hooked(small).jpg

Anyways here's the stats. 7-8 kittys, with 21in being the largest. and 6-8 other fish. Might be up again this afternoon or Sunday as well.

full-27424-5348-1(small).jpg

It's that time of year for a finicky bite.

Here's some video I took when the bite was like this last year:

Trying to get my first ice cat right now at the meth hole. No luck with that so far. Been out here since about 2. Did manage to get 4 eyes so far. 12 to just under 15 inches. Glow green macho minnow. All went back to be caught another day. Marking fish every 15 minutes or so snd tried just about every color possible so far. Nice day to be on the ice!

Was seeing the spring bobber move, but they must be doing something weird to the bait instead of eating it. Are some of these fish just running into the bait and not actually eating it? And thats what we're seeing on the bobbers?

I've watched them on the underwater camera many times. What they often do is sip or bump your bait without putting it fully into their mouths. Often times they'll do it just once or twice and then they're gone. So from my experiences I've found it's best to set the hook right away when they first hit. Often times you'll catch those "sippers" by the tip of the lip or even a whisker.

Was on the ice all weekend and could'nt nail down a pattern. One thing I found is there is not much of a early morning bite but thre is a slow but steady late night bite. Sat was by far the best day out of the weekend for me. I found a large pod over 24 ft of water at about 4pm and did great till around 6 when the bite slowed. I fished the same general area Sun and the bite was'nt near a good as Sat with most of the ones I caught being in the 13-15in range. In total I think I got 40-45 cats through out the weekend and nothing over 24in.

Fished Horseshoe for a few hours yesterday and all I can say is What happened out there? Even w/ all the the blowing and new snow it looked like a fishing tournament took place w/ all the holes drilled.

Either the bite was slow or there were a ton of people fishing this weekend.

I caught one each small: Cat,'eye and crop, in about 5 hrs worth of fishing. My saving grace was hopping over to the Cedar side and found a mess of Croppies. Kept 3 large ones and sent about 8 more back for more growth.

Marked a bunch of fish suspended around 18-23 FOW that I couldn't get to bite.

So now the really depressing news.... While on Horseshoe I collected almost 3 shopping bags worth of garbage, everything from beer/soda cans to water jugs, timbers and wrappers.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

The Meth hole area has been pressured hard all yr so far. Word has spread about the catfish and the fisherman have come. It is truely amazeing the amount of fisherman that have fished that area. A few times I was wondering if cool cats date was change and I wasn't told. grin There are still alot of cats in that area but iceing them maybe a little challangeing. Now is the time of the yr to dig into that little bag of tricks to catch those pressured cats. If I were chaseing the cats I would venture into some new areas. There are large schools all over the system, in fact we have been iceing quite a few while fishing the craps and eyes. You may not find the schools as easy but with some persistence you may just find your own honey-hole for now and the future! smile

On a side note Thanks alot Osok for cleaning the area up I and others in the area appreciate it. You are a true sportsman!!!

So now the really depressing news.... While on Horseshoe I collected almost 3 shopping bags worth of garbage, everything from beer/soda cans to water jugs, timbers and wrappers.

Big thank you for being a true sportsman and picking up our fellow anglers mess. grin It's too bad there has to be a few slobs out there every year that make everyone else look bad by leaving trash on the ice. mad I pick up enough cans , bottles and propane cylinders but the one item I have learned the hard way to avoid is the plastic grocery bags because sometimes they have a bad brown surprise inside sick

That does stink. The last time a week or so ago when I was at the meth hole, I did not see one piece of garbage.

Must have been a group of slobs that left the mess you are describing.

FMR, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I reach for that"mystery bag".

Harvey, The garbage I picked up wasn't all on the fishing grounds but from the grounds to the Hwy 22 access. In fact by brother in-law and I were laughing that the beer cans were strategically placed so we could find the road if there were a white out.

Unfortunately it's not an isolated problem and something we all need to be consciously aware of.

I fished the Meth Hole, I caught two catfish and there must've been a whole bunch of swimmers, just swimming around. Also had a few light bites that I couldn't get a hook set on.

Its been a little dead on this thread as of late. Any one goin out this weekend?

not this weekend but maybe next weekend if the weather permits.

Been hitting some other local lakes for some Croppie action lately. I'm seriously considering heading out there tomorrow AM to late afternoon to see what I can find.

Good morning ya all.

I am thinking heading out to HorseShoe for some cats this Saturday, just wonder if ice is thick enought for my suburban to drive on the lake or should I use my sled ....?

Thanks in advance....

Soft....

Soft, Last time I checked we had around 20in of ice. There is a pretty good road from the winter access over to the meth hole area and beyond. Just stick to the well traveled areas and you will be fine.

Ok, So I never made it out to Horseshoe on Friday. A buddy wanted to go hit some pan type fish and we went to a lake outside of the Albany area.

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to head out until Friday AM this week.

How was the bite this weekend w/ this warmer weather coming through?