• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain '11

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• Brad B

• osok

Top Posters In This Topic

We made it out Saturday to the Meth hole and ended up with 1 cat a couple crappie, lots of rock bass and a walleye. I had my 5 yr old son with me and I was hoping he would get into a cat or two but the rock bass provided plenty of action for him. Might go out again today.

Nice cat Dtro! I was out with a friend yesturday and caught my first ever cat. What a blast.

Sniffer

Nice cat. Was on the chain yesterday as well and iced my first cat. You might say I'm hooked on ice cats too. grinfull-36658-5065-027.jpg

gmeabake, sniffer -- nice fish. My first trip ever up there I didn't get any cats, just crappies and rock bass. Now you're hooked!

gmeabake, sniffer -- nice fish. My first trip ever up there I didn't get any cats, just crappies and rock bass. Now you're hooked!

When gmeabake hooked the first, I ran 10yards to see what he had. I said you have a pike and it came up the hole; which we were both surprized. Were hooked and we want to get back out there.

Sniffer

BSG, I also met your buddie out there this afternoon and I tryed to steer him in the right direction. How did he end up doing?

None of my buddies said anything about heading up that way? Got any other info on the guy? maybe I might have to make a call???? haha

I hope I didnt get anybody in trouble. Forgot his name but red truck and he was thinkin about bringing his wife up if that helps. He also said you were heading up to fish the big pond today. How did you do?

Quite the croud out there again today. I drilled about 50-60 holes looking for the school this afternoon and didnt locate them untill a little after 4. Once I had found them the bite was great got somewhere around 20 in two and a half hours . Most of the fish I got were in the 14-18in range with only 2 over 20in and the big one was a fat 26. I serched from 22ft to 40+ and everywhere inbetween. Ended up finding the mega school just 30ft from my wheelhouse crazyafter looking around what seemed like forever trying to find them.. Liver was doing way better than heads and the 1/8 red northland forage minnow was my jig of choice.

Well, I found out it was a buddy from work who was up with me the weekend before. So no, nobodys in trouble.

Nope, didn't make it to the pond. Turned the big 25 on sat. so I got into some adult beverages and ruined my sunday.....

RFM - Sounds like you need a hand drilling some holes. Next time I'm up i'll try and head your way and we can make the area look more swiss chees-ish.

Might be up next sunday working on the testing of my new spring bobber I've attached to my favorite walleye rod. Last weekend it worked great, but I just gotta see again grin

Well a belated happy 25th to you Brad grin. Ya I always could use a extra hand drilling holes and finding the school.

I'm headed out this afternoon being it's so nice out and I hope the fish are in the same spot as last night but more than likley will end up serching again.

Oh I see. So this is what people are talking about when they tell me they are jealous of me having the MN river in my backyard and being able to fish big cats every day all summer long. I’m now feeling that towards RFM. grin

I can now empathize with them. LOL

Oh I see. So this is what people are talking about when they tell me they are jealous of me having the MN river in my backyard and being able to fish big cats every day all summer long. I’m now feeling that towards RFM. grin

I can now empathize with them. LOL

+1. Thanks RFM.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Got you guys all beat 5 minutes give or take 1 to the lake! Not to rub it in or anything.gringrin

On a different note got to share the ice with Borch again last night and we had a blast. We were on another section on the chain and we iced a good number of crappies and walleyes. No cats which kind of surprised me, but I'm sure they were close by. Looking forward to meeting and fishing with some more Fmers in the future.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Icehawk,

After you left my future son and law had a good one on but got off. So there were a cat or two cruising with the crappies. I had hoped to make it out today but I'm stuck working around the house and running errands.

Good to fish on the ice with you again. We'll have to get out again soon.

Well I made a last minute trip after my dental appointment in Cold Spring. Hit the Meth hole area arounf 5pm and set up in 44 ft of water, Ended up with 10 cats, with all in the 16y-20" range. A couple of crappies tossed in. Bite was very light and the dead stick out produced jigging 2:1.

Fished the late afternoon early evening bite (6p-ish). 4 cats total, 2 croppies and 3 small eyes. All fish were returned for potential growth.

I was fishing from 27-31' w/ the best luck around 28. I was surprised when I went to Southside to buy minnows he was completely out of fatheads until tomorrow.

Has anybody been fishing the Cedar Island side? spent some time out there in the fall and would love to try and get to that area again.

All I can say about fishing yesterday is I have had better days and Borch hit the nail on the head when he said they were biting light. I did have one big one on for a few moments but lost it due to line failure. I think I got 8 cats that were 12-18in.

Starting to get some snow/slush pockets again. There is one real bad one west of the meth hole just out from the crappie town. My buddie got stuck in it on sat and I saw a couple trucks having alot of trouble in the same general area yesterday.

Cedar Island has been kicking out fish. In the spots I fished more crappies than cats though.

Starting to get some snow/slush pockets again. There is one real bad one west of the meth hole just out from the crappie town. My buddie got stuck in it on sat and I saw a couple trucks having alot of trouble in the same general area yesterday.

RFM which town would this be? the group that sits in the bay or more on the West side?

Reason why I ask is that I'm really new to fishing Horseshoe and am trying to get my bearings down.

This fall by default of the windy conditions I ended up fishing Cedar side more, and now with hard water it's difficult to figure out the contours.

Do you live on Cedar Is? This fall I met a gent @ the put in that lives on Cedar but fished HS a lot.

Borch, Thanks for the heads up on CI. Not trying to sound pompous but never thought about targeting croppies or cats there. I was interested in the eyes. Cats and Croppies are the "bonus/fun" fish for me. I do admit that those cats are fun to catch.

RFM which town would this be? the group that sits in the bay or more on the West side?

Reason why I ask is that I'm really new to fishing Horseshoe and am trying to get my bearings down.

This is would be the group that is more in the bay. Just north of the group of perm. houses.

osok you heading out there this weekend? I might take a break from the cats for a evening and try for some fish I can eat for once.

RFM I will be out there at some point. The Brainerd JC's thing is Saturday and I usually go fish it w/ the outlaws. Maybe this year I can catch something other than hypothermia. But i would like to hook up for some fishing w/ you soon. How does midweek look?

How's the ice thickness, I try and get up that way and fish a few times a year them cats got me hooked lmao , Only issue no sled of wheeler, So It's truck or walk lmao, Can I guy park on the ice over by I think its hwy 22 not sure on the road, But the winter access any help would be wonderful !!

FF, The ice thickness has been conducive for ppl to drive on. The few times I've been out there trucks and whl houses are roaming quite a bit.

I've only stayed to the established roads. 1 out of lack of intimate knowledge of the lake. 2: Getting stuck in slush on the middle of a lake is no fun.

I measured 18 inched in the holes I fished at the meth hole last night. Remember that the ice thickness does vary and if you don't know the lake to stick to established roads.

Good Luck!