• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Side-imaging sonar reviews

thatoneguy

Humminbird has their own software too and you will get that free when you register your device at their site.

Humviewer is available as a free download. It's a great tool, I like to use it to map out areas to fish in the winter. I can mark rockpiles, sandbars, weedlines and whatnot and upload those waypoints right to my GPS.

You can setup different views, color palletes and ever create your own recordings to show others.

Here's a few shots I captured with my computer when I was downrigging on Lake of the Woods last summer, all of these were captured using HumViewer.

full-623-4651-comboview.jpg

full-623-4652-2010a1.jpg

full-623-4653-2010d.jpg

full-623-4654-theend.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• delmuts

• Nick Kuhn

• reddog

• harvey lee

It's the google I'm feeling lucky result for HumViewer. It's hosted on a Danish (I think) site but the page is in English. It's pretty intuitive, and works rather well. It's not an exact playback but it's pretty close.

Well I picked up a Humminbird 898 C Si today. I think its time to hit P4 and get the learning curve started. wink

Well I picked up a Humminbird 898 C Si today. I think its time to hit P4 and get the learning curve started. wink

Welcome to the Hbird family!

Theres a ton of information on the web, just do a search of the most active sites. bbc xumba, sideimagesoft etc

You will be miles ahead with the learning curve if you get your settings adjusted for optimum viewing right from the start.

I found the transition extremely simple.

Well i bit the bullet and ordered a 798 SI this morning. My stomach is still turning!( not use to spending that kind of bucks for fishing) grin, even thou my wife gave me over have of the money for it! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

You'll love it. Don't worry about the screen size too much. The 798 actually has a higher total pixel count than the 898 or 998. So for anyone with sharp eyes, it's perfect.

It's the best i could afford! grin Can't wait for it and the power converter to get here so i can start playing with it.

Well i bit the bullet and ordered a 798 SI this morning. My stomach is still turning!( not use to spending that kind of bucks for fishing) grin, even thou my wife gave me over have of the money for it! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

Nicely done Del!

Same here including the $$$ from the Mrs; I just scored a deal on a 798SI HD unit that was way too good to pass up. Looking to match it up with a 858 on the bow. Only issue is that I have an older Minnkota PD with Universal Sonar I, not the Uni Sonar II as the built in transducer so I may have to run an exposed cable down the TM shaft to the transducer, unless there's a work-around for that. Any suggestions? Or will I end up with a new Terrova too?

NK: I may have to ask you to join me in the NE metro this Spring to reduce my learning curve! wink

cjac, your motor with US1 will work with the 858 if you have the MKR-US-8 adapter cable (which is now obsolete, I believe). However, you will only get the one frequency (200 kh), single cone, and no temp.

Im looking to put a 798 on my boat this spring and have been watching online for several months now. Im curious, Ive heard a few people mention 'good deals' just curious what kind of deals are you guys talking? Can I expect to get one for less than $800?

Thinking my best chance might be waiting for the sportshow and seeing if I cant get a good deal by dropping a bunch of cash at once seeing as I need a trolling motor too.

Should be able to go under $800 for the older 798's. The new ones come it at the same price point with better features, so no way last years will sell very well at the same price. 797's last year could be had for about $700. I'd expect $750 to be a good price to buy at.

If you want to buy locally the sportmans show will be your best option. Next week is the St. Paul sportsmans show where you could probably haggle a deal on one. Otherwise I know of a few very reputable online stores that you could definitely get a deal on one. The one thing nice about buying online is you dont pay sales tax which will equate to 60-80 dollars in savings.

Ive purchased stuff at the shows and not paid tax as well, just one of the reasons Im thinking of hitting the shows.

So what is the big difference between the old and new 798s and the 797s?

Ok, so I looked around as far as I can tell is the 797 has a slightly lower pixel count, only one card slot while the 798 has two and a 16 channel gps receiver (50 channel on the 798). Did I miss anything? Would losing those features be worth a price reduction of $100?

Hey TurnUpTheFishing,

Being a single guy, I can say that I feel the same way about GPS channels, pixels, and SD card slots as I do about women: The more the merrier. grin

I was looking at buying a GPS fishfinder last summer (SI makes me drool, but is still out of my price range.) and was thinking about buying a less-expensive one with fewer features. I finally decided that I should just wait a little while and buy the more expensive one for two reasons:

1. I really had no problem spending a similar amount of money on a firearm, and this would be my only fishfinder rather than an additional one (like a firearm purchase would be).

2. The extra ~$200 spread out over the several years I'll have it and god knows how many uses (I'm running it in winter now, too!) really comes out to be a pretty small expense when compared to the increased ease of use (more pixels and SD card slots) and slightly better performance (more GPS channels).

Decide on which one you want, then find the best overall (I count lots of stuff in "overall" including retail experience.) deal you can.

That is very true. I too have been the fence on whether I can even justify this locator. Ive finally come to the conclusion that I can justify it but not at retail price. Ill just have to wait and see what kind of prices I get quoted to me and decide then.

I know what you guys mean! I was VERY lucky in tht my WONDERFULL WIFE gave me half of the money as a Christmas present! Otherwise it would be a while before i got mine!

Well! My 798C SI arrived tuesday! Haven't fired it up as of yet( hopefully today!).Got it registered, had to get some fuses for the inline( my others are in the boat, in storage! cry), so plan to hook it up to the power converter today! Been going over the manual for it! WOW!! 200 pages with diagrams etc. Still trying to decide where to mount the transducer. Now the fun starts! grin

I dont think theres 200 pages...... in english, I think theres like 4 different languages printed, but I could be wrong with the 798.

Yikes, I just looked online. You got screwed, theres 210 pages online. grin

Since the waters hard, you got nothing better to do anyway, wink but nothing beats on the water experience. I dont think I spent over an hour reading thru my 997 manual.

Theyre pretty simple tools that are capable of doing way more than I need.

I think I referenced the manual twice, everything else was just playing around to get it working. My initial advice is to use the 20/60 combo cone angle. Finding fish in 15 FoW is a little sketchy with just the default 20 degree cone. I also bump the SI and DI sensitivity up to 12 to start. Don't forget to check the software version. It should be current but you never know.

I was noticing that the unit from Humminbird comes with the uni map loaded into it. How can i check to see if the one i have has it also?? Otherwise, i may have to take it back and order one from the factory outlet.

If there are any contour lines on any lakes when you don't have a mapping chip in the unit, then you have the built-in unimaps.

I have been playing with my 998 every evening since I got the 2 new 2011 Lakemaster chips last week. (I found a smoking deal online and sold my 2011 chips on electronic-bay.) I use my ICE 55 setup. I just unhook the power to the ICE 55 and plug it in to the 998 (same plug is used). To view the maps without a GPS receiver plugged in you have to go into simulation mode. I can kill an hour every evening scanning potential new spots on the high-def maps. I make new waypoints that are a different icon than the standard icons that I already have set-up for my existing waypoints. During open water I'll go check out these new areas with SI and convention down sonar. The Lakemaster chips have quite a few new HD lake maps for my area of south central MN.