• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Lunker

Waterfowl Reports

Wanderer

About the the biggest news I can come up with on this years bird info is that significantly more hooded mergs than usual have been seen in central - western MN.

Id like to get a nice one.

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

I have been seeing gadwalls my dads pond has a pair and 3 other ponds have them to 

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

Lots of mallards, geese, and swans around

monstermoose78

The swans are thick. Geese are showing up in numbers and same with the cranes!

IceHawk

Seeing a bunch of full plumage divers, swans and geese on the sauk river near Rockville. Spring is always excitieing for a waterfowler. Put a few wood duck houses out last week and checked on the ones already in place!

Mike89

sand hill cranes here today...

Wanderer

March 21 - saw my first goldeneyes of the spring migration tonight.  They were cruising south so I imagine they were scouting further north but didn’t find the water they were looking for.

There are spots open on the river but not much around Little Falls yet.  Judging by the looks of the ice though I’ll be seeing open water by Sunday.  

Wanderer

March 26 I got a text from a neighbor that he saw a half dozen woodies.  Gotta take his word for it since he knows ducks but I still wanna see em with my own eyes.

March 27 and they’re at my place along with some hoodeds.  And we’ve only seen a few goldeneyes so far I’m calling them early birds and won’t doubt my sanity next year when the early ones show up again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rick

Time to fire this baby up again...any early goose pics and/or reports?

monstermoose78

Well I seen a few groups of mallards this morning and two big flicks of teal. The geese are flying high and early or late in the day

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

Just settling in for a 4 hour nap before launching the boat on LOW - provided we’re not in the middle of a T-storm.  South winds so that helps.  Rain doesn’t bother me but the chance of lightning does.

Good luck tomorrow.

• Wow 1

Wanderer

Chance of lightning....  haha.  When will it stop?!  In about an hour.  Let’s load up.

• Wow 1

papadarv

Second flock this morning. They seem to find safe feeding grounds when the guns start popping.

20190921_085343.thumb.jpg.dd858a733712e10be51c847e1abb616b.jpg

• l Love It 1

Wanderer

No doubt @papadarv!  They’re really good at it too.  The small family flocks have joined together where I’ve been seeing geese and now number 50+ typically.

We saw some geese and a few ducks today but didn’t shoot any.  We didn’t find anything worth setting up on.  Pretty amazing how slim the duck population is up here.  The biggest flock I’ve seen, including the drive up, numbered 5 birds.  It’s been mostly random singles and pairs.

The flooding up here has been amazing too.  Something like 10 inches in 25 hours.  Roads are flooded and the ditches are raging rivers.  The downstream sides of the bigger culverts look like power plant discharges.

We’re considering other options for tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Wanderer

Ah, a couple walleyes just made it all better. 😁

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

MJ1657

Not a lot of ducks flying this morning. 

• Thanks 1

monstermoose78

Well I did not get up this morning had a good time at the wedding!! I sneaked down to my dads pond at noon and bingo. A triple yep this bad shot sniped one off a log and knocked the other two out of the air. Finn was on them ducks like flies on poop. One hen woodie dove on Finn and he tried to find her. I waited an hour and half for that hen woodie to pop up but it never happened.

ABC169EF-A696-4D5B-971A-74EA412D0C2F.jpeg

0F2D1A26-A63C-4176-BA02-2C656EC53BFC.jpeg

2609F940-3AD9-47DB-9412-75402E9D09EB.jpeg

23ABFE5B-A8D8-49BE-AB7B-5C1A89F32200.jpeg

• Like 1
  • l Love It 2

Wanderer

Those hen woodies can be some tough customers!

Since I had half the state to cover on the way home I swung through a spot I wanted to hunt last year but was shut out by a storm - go figure.  I had just the last 2 hours to paddle it and see what was up.  Started pushing up birds right away; mallards and ringers.  Didn't try shooting anything till I got back in it a bit.  Found a nice 40 yard wide hole in cover and a lone mallard came by.  One shot, one dead bird.  Stuck around for the last 45 minutes, got buzzed by some teal, then time was up.  More birds showed up while I picked up.  Good chance I'll be back.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Kettle

I told myself I was done hunting Minnesota..... 57$ later out of the budget I'll be living off if ham sandwiches the next two weeks and one pintail and one goose..... I'm a sucker 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 2