• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Reports

Did an evening watch on the lake west of town last night. Saw flocks of woodies and some mallards heading back from the fields to the lake. One flock of mallards was about 30-40 birds. Also a few small flocks of teal around.

Pickerel Lake in Nowthen between St Francis and Elk River is loaded with Wild Rice.

Lots of Wood Ducks, teal and Mallards roosting on the lake.

If you hunt it this weekend better be there around 10pm on Friday.

Isn't this the fun of opening day? Scout hard, find a spot with birds, get there WAY TOO EARLY just to sit and hope someone doesn't show 30 min before legal shooting and set up 100 yds up wind!?

I feel for you guys down around the Twin Cities. I lived in Waconia for 5 years and finding hunting opportunities without being overrun by other hunters is near impossible.

As to a report...up here in the NW part of the state, where much of the migration first moves in, there's a few flocks of local geese, and a couple ducks around. It's really dry, and only the small grains are off. Locals are just starting in on the beans.

Weather is still way too mild. Feels like mid-July up here tonight with t-storms moving up from the south. Kinda doubt the dekes are gonna see any sunlight for a few more weeks. I gotta wait for the migration to get started. Too many other things to do before the birds really get moving.

Took my dogs to the retriever club last night in Dilworth. By the time we left, close to 150 geese were loafing on the main pond. I think I found a roost.... laugh

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have been seeing some bluewings hanging around the Princeton area along with the normal woodies. The geese have been flying high or rate at sunset. I have notice a lot of Sandhill Cranes along high 95 between st cloud and princeton the cranes are in the cut corn fields.

I'm going to Bowstring for an afternoon hunt today. I was harvesting rice just north of there last week on Natures Lake and it looked good. Teal everywhere. Weather is kinda cruddy but maybe it'll get them moving.

About an hour north of the metro have noticed good numbers of birds on lakes with rice, I will be heading down to the family farm just outside of Mankato for opening weekend. Good luck everyone!

Kettle

While doing chores yesterday, up here in the NW part of the state, I noticed a few large flocks of geese high up heading south. It seems a little early to see anything truly migrating yet, but these groups definitely appeared to be on the move.

Also noticed a distinct increase in the number of geese in the immediate area. Far more geese flying around town last night then I've seen in the past few weeks.

While doing chores yesterday, up here in the NW part of the state, I noticed a few large flocks of geese high up heading south. It seems a little early to see anything truly migrating yet, but these groups definitely appeared to be on the move.

Also noticed a distinct increase in the number of geese in the immediate area. Far more geese flying around town last night then I've seen in the past few weeks.

I'm in the metro and noticed a high flying flock or 2. Lots of geese around, quite a few ducks too.

Pelican Lake in Wright County is loaded with ducks.

Pickerel Lake in Anoka County is Loaded with Ducks.

Lory Lake in Isanti County has ducks especially in the WMA portion.

Pelican Lake in Wright County is loaded with ducks.

Pickerel Lake in Anoka County is Loaded with Ducks.

Lory Lake in Isanti County has ducks especially in the WMA portion.

And those ducks on Pelican will be blasted off the lake by the million hunters out there tomorrow!

Had a very poor Opener where we were this morning. Four guns shot a honker and a blue and green wing teal. Pretty sad. Two others in our party went to a different slough and shot seven and another two went to a third slough and shot ten. A mixture of mallards, woodies, a few teal and a gadwall. Was just too hard for some of us old timers to get in those sloughs that required walks through heart siezing muck. Lot of hunters out and not a whole lot of ducks. Weather was way too nice also.

Woodies were plentiful in the Cambridge area, many small flocks were seen, mostly locals I suspect and we did take three limits. Some mallards were also seen, perhaps 10 - 20, but none would decoy. Can't complain as it's mostly local ducks right now. Things will improve....

Lots of woodies where we were in Southern MN. The 3 of us got our 9 woodies along with a few teal, a mallard, and a goose. There wasn't a lot of shooting going on anywhere nearby. We probably had the most action of the 4 groups on the lake. Not many flocks over 3-4 birds. A lot of singles and doubles.

East of Kato and got just three today had a buddy on swan got one, last weekend during scouting there were a lot more teal around. Three bag limit of woodies, back out in the morning, was suppose to hunt down here Thursday and Friday but heading north might be the better option.

Kettle

Saturday my 2 sons and I had 14 birds 6 mallards 4 woodies and 3 teal and goose, Sunday was slower 1 mallard and 5 woodies and 1 goose, overall a good weekend, weather was to warm and nice for my liking ,but otherwise a fun time.

I was one of the millions out on Pelican. Actually wasn't any more people than a normal opener out there. Even heard a muskrat pass some gas in the morning wink. I thought overall it was a fair to slow opener. I ended up with 4 ducks, so I guess I've done worse. Not alot of shooting considering all the groups out. A few groups did alot of shooting and some groups didn't do much shooting.

Went the smart route on Sunday, slept in and did a little bass fishing late morning! Even the dogs were happy to sleep in.

Western mn was full of Teal! Sat morning was crazy and our group put 24 teal and 2 mallards in the bag! Sunday was a lot slower and we finished with 2 mallard and 8 teal- tons of people out hunting! Strange part was we had a total of 32 Blue Wing Teal and not a

Single Green

Hunted the north metro Saturday, it wasn't as good as I expected or as good as last year. Last year heard a ton of shooting, not even close to as much this year. A good day still and shot 5 between 4 of us but a bit of a letdown.

Hunted up by Longville Sat and Sunday..while scoutting lake on Friday, loads of ducks...Mallards, Teal, Woodies, Redheads, Ringers and Geese..Sat AM..crickets..some shooting but nothing to get excited about...heard from the duck counter over on Big Rice...10 parties..12 ducks after the morning shoot....went and jumped beaver ponds after that....low,dry. Thankfully the shooting gets better later in the fall usually up there. Think the ducks have gotten smarter and hang around the city. hahahaha

3 of us shot 13 on saturday. mostly mallards. A good hunt. My buddy went with 6 other guys and they limited out (42 ducks!).

A painful lesson was learned on Saturday morning. No, not by me. My twin 5 year old boys were told on Friday night if they went to bed good they would get to go duck hunting in the morning. They didnt, so I took my daughter instead. They were not very happy! But I bet next time they go to bed well!

Opening Weekend, Hutchinson MN

Good numbers of ducks and geese around. Geese seemed pretty educated for opening weekend, but they have been hunted for a while already. Good variety of species of ducks around for September. We saw mallards, woodies, bluewing and greenwing teal, shovelers, pintails, wigeon, redheads, and hooded mergansers. Late ice-out north of us may have caused some species to nest here this spring that normally nest farther north. Some ducks cooperated well, and some didn't. We harvested mallards, wood ducks, wigeon, bluewing and greenwing teal, and a pintail. Good luck and be safe out there.

Carlos Avery opening morning. Non stop shooting for at least the first 45 minutes. Not many made it out to us.6 of us ended up with 10 birds. Woodies and teal. Did not see many mallards at all there. Same old ,same old as someone decides to come out at 7:30 and set up between two of us. Done with that place unless I get rained out during week or the tornado sirens are going off. Hugo area Sunday. Gadwall drake and a woodie drake. Only chances we had to shoot. Unless we were like party on other side. Then we could have shot boxes into the air like they did. Sharpen up boys !! Be patient ! There are 57 days left.