• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Reports

Was going to take pics of some mallards but the guy that lives on the lake in this spot pushed snow into the spring and blocked off the area with netting so the ducks would not land there. Not sure why he did it?

They will have open water on the river on the other side of the lake or they wil be on the Mississippi soon

The country is frozen all the way down to Arkansas.

I'll be there saturday. Cant wait.

It might still be OK, but you shoulda been there a week earlier!

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing on Green lake yesterday I heard and saw a lone goose fly over. What the ?? Not seen any waterfowl in the area since first ice.

Yeah there's a place off hwy 61 in WBL that stays open all year and there are 100+ ducks there. On my way to work off hwy 36 by N St Paul Target someone feeds them so you can catch ducks and geese circling over the highway every once and a while.

But not geese this time of year, that's crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing some new birds flying north and in medium sized V's. Hunting is closer than we think, especially for you spring light geese shooters.

Yeah there's a place off hwy 61 in WBL that stays open all year and there are 100+ ducks there. On my way to work off hwy 36 by N St Paul Target someone feeds them so you can catch ducks and geese circling over the highway every once and a while.

But not geese this time of year, that's crazy.

There's a warm water discharge at the south end of Goose lake, right off of Hiway 61 and county road F. You'll find hundreds of mallards and few geese there year round. There is also open water by where I live and I see large flocks of geese, lots of divers and a few swans daily.

• 2 weeks later...

HAVE BEEN SEEING A NOTICEABLE AMOUNT OF MALLARDS FLYING OVER OUR HOUSE THAT LAST FEW DAYS.

looks like spring is on its way

I was down in the Twin Cities this weekend visiting family in Hanover. Both days, I had a flock of about two dozen trumpeter swans fly over. That was cool! What a strange noise. Their name certainly fits the bill!!

Those swans stay on the Mississippi river by Monticello all winter and they can be seen flying around that area quite often. If you ice fish Pelican lake, you'll see them multiple times flying over the lake just about every time you fish there. Good to have a good camera ready to take pictures.

Thanks for reminding me of the Swan Tyler I also Two of them in the open creek that feeds the north end of Little Elk Lake and I'm sure thats where the mallards were also landing.

drove from the cities to milaca and back yesterday saw lots of ducks, many pairs almost the whole way.

• 3 weeks later...

Out shoveling snow and raking off garage,sheds,house roofs today. Must have been a small push of geese. Couple small flocks,pairs and singles flying around.Been outside all week and not seen or heard a thing till today.

Saw a pile of divers and swans on the only open water in my area. They are starting to show up, I'm sure the ice and cold has thrown them off some.

Geese are back to the lake in the city by my house, just hanging out on the ice. Been seeing swans too.

There are now ringbill, some bluebill, and buffies in the Kohler open/warm water area across 61 from Goose Lake, along with the many many mallards. Won't be long and the redheads, cans and goldeneye and loons will be back. The eagle can be seen looking for meals of ducks, or eating them while on the ice at just about any time of day smile Swans still there too.

Always fun to watch the migration back north.

• 3 weeks later...

Checked the boxes to make sure ready for nesting and found at least several eggs in the one box.

The wood ducks sure do look pretty with a snow for a back drop, and I noticed a bunch of bluebills in the cloverleaf on the south side of 10 and 101 in Elk River.

Noticed a bunch of ring-bills on the St. Francis River too.

Went for a drive the other day and saw mallards, woodies, bluebills, buffies, Cans, shovelers, hooded mergansers, mergansers, and ringnecks.

Found a flooded cornfield full of birds, and was surprised to see a bunch of shovelers in the group.

Got down to the TC this weekend. Left early in the morning, and saw wave after wave after wave of Canadas from the North Dakota line to Alexandria. Amazing sight. Drove the dog nuts.

At home, I saw a lot more ducks than I can remember, and a lot of divers! Buffies, ring necks and blubills, probably 50, in a tiny farm pond. Even a pretty dashing drake green-winged teal all dressed up for the spring dance. Pretty neat.

• 3 weeks later...

I made the comment on saturday to my buddy.

"we usally are seeing Mallards on the lake this year we have bullbills"

By the way we where fishing in the Lonsdale area.

Seeing a few groups of goslings. I guess the cold, long winter didn't effect them. Haven't seen any ducklings.

Lots of goslings down in Owatonna, surprising since we got 15" of snow a couple weeks ago.

• 3 months later...

I saw about 50 brown teal looking ducks in a small farm pond that has only held a few ducks all summer. Looks limlke there could be a few flying ducks by opening weekend again this year. That is unless they all walked there. grin

• 4 weeks later...

Out scouting today in W Central MN. Of course there were geese. Lots of BWT, woodies and mallards. Even a couple divers on a big slough. Good rice crop & water levels seem up versus last year. Still some VERY small ducks around. Found one pond loaded with ducks - we bumped em out. Still a dozen or so little buff colored fur balls - looked like they couldn't even fly!

Good luck next wknd!

Heard someone say that the safest ducks come Saturday will be the non flyers...will just melt into the cattails...probably true

Was hunting geese in a pasture last weekend. Didn't do well on the geese but I did have about 200-250 redheads flying back and forth on the small creek I was hunting next to about every 15-20 mins, 25-30 yards away, made for some good entertainment. For other ducks, I saw 1 can, couple bluebills, couple shovelers, couple mallards, couple gadwalls and a couple bwteal, wasn't overly impressed with the amount of ducks besides the redheads. NE Nodak