• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Reports

Very few ducks on a metro lake this morning. Heard the same thing from a party that was down there mon morning....

went out yesterday same lake a 10th of the birds still managed 12 and add to that 4 Wanton wastes could tell they were day old birds a little more leary of finishing off. Still a great day out in the boat for being public water

Hunted minnesota river this morning 2 small flocks of teal and 2 flocks of wooducks, missed wooducks, below tree line and didnt see them in low light conditons until to late frown

North metro. Nothing. Geese flared.Mojo. One small flock of ducks seen. Tundra swans migrating all morning

Limited out this morning on a solo hunt out West. Plenty of mallards in the area and GWT. Fun hunt and the birds worked well and had all shots with feet down and cupped up in the decoys. Passed on many divers (ringbills, cans and buffs) Geese were moving in big flocks too. Ice starting to form on some of the small pole holes. Tomorrow should be good too. I felt like I was hunting in ND. wink

Full Moon and NW winds are usually an exciting combo this time of year. I'll be out on Lac tomorrow. It was too windy for a count but I'm hearing good things. There were reports of a big number of snow geese on Marsh lake earlier in the week.

Definately a big push of ducks clouds were black up here seemed like the push started sunday got a limit for 6 on a lake north of bemidji then went monday night cooked some duck in the duck blind with a few buds didnt reeally focus on shooting birds but shotten and [PoorWordUsage] the whole time went out this mornig and shot abunch of mallards even got one with a band... might try tommorrow depending if we eat duck tonight hopefully it will still be snowing tommorrow morn though

Did some scouting this morning.

Found some divers.

Hope they are still there in the morning.

Expect new arrivals today with the wind the last couple.

Just got back from my first nodak trip of the year, LOTS of juvie snows, this spring should be another blood bath. 4 days of hunting we shot 246 snows, wich one the days we only shot 24, 16 lesser canadas, 1 greater, and with the mallards the thickest i have seen limits came quick. Met some of nodaks finest and shared a hunt with a father and 2 sons which in turn lead to dinner and bird cleaning at there house and hopefully some life long friends!

Was out for a bit this AM. You'd think this wind would have help. Not where I was in the north metro. Very few birds seen, but I was only out for the first hour or so. Hoping for something to improve by the weekend.

Went out today, got 3 ducks. But really it only counts as 1 because 2 of them were coots. The other was a hen mallard. Saw a good amount of ducks, just couldn't get them to come in. Ice is starting to form a little bit. At the boat access there was some skim ice.

Went out west again to the same spot and maybe about 50 or so ducks on the water. It was night and day difference. It was very slow. Did manage to get a nice drake mallard though. Passed on two solo hen mallards that landed 10 yds from me. Scouted around and found a whole wad of ducks. Hunted them in the mid morning and filled out on 5 GWT. Fun hunt. Most mallards and teal I've seen so far this year in one spot--would guess close to 500--fun to watch. Also found 3 large rafts (150-200) of ringbills. Geese were on the move as well.

Cornfield.Nothing. Saw 2 small flocks of geese heading towards big marine. Heard 5 deer shots and had a nice buck walk through the end of cornfield. No waterfowl shots heard. Done with that place till everything freezes but rivers.

Say Albino, did you shoot the coots deliberatly or by accident? If you chose to shoot them do you eat them? They are actually pretty good ya know. If you shot them by accident that is unfortunate and you'll have to study the "bird ID" book some more.

And if you just shot them for the hell of it you really ought not do that.

Took some PTO this week. Tues was a great hunt. Mallards and cans everywhere. Me and my dad shot 10. 6 mallards, 2 cans, ringer, and a redhead. Should have had our limit of mallards but messed up on 1 flock (I forgot to put a shell in the chamber and my fathers gun jammed after one shot). Another flocked buzzed us and the dog flared one flock. Wen the ducks were pretty much gone compared to the day before but managed 4. Some big flocks of mallards were seen but much harder to commit and less call responsive. Thurs we only got 2 and saw even less ducks. From what I heard mon and tues were the days to be out. Couple buddies managed a limit of mallards on thurs but had to be in the right spot as not to many people had much for ducks on wen and thurs.

North metro. Not many ducks seen but man were there geese !! Have not seen that many in a long time. Couple flocks of mallards before shooting and maybe 20 afterwards. None came close. Looking back now I should have a limit of geese but never shot. Wanted them to decoy and they never did. Too many real birds just down the shore!! Wish I would see some of these new ducks in the area.

yesterday on my way to work I noticed a pothole that hasnt held a duck all season and it was holding around 200 mallards this is off of 94 north of ,

maple grove

Elwood, I know the pond you are talking about. The one that looks super ducky but there is NEVER anything on it? I saw bout 100 birds on it today. I'll be out mon and tues forsure.

Mallards are hitting the metro big time right now. Canada is cold and the birds are moving down. Missouri is having a strong opening week.

Saw a lone mallard and then a flock ofabout 20. Also 6-8 divers. These were not new birds. Heard a fair amount of field shooting. Nothing close for me.

I was out near Hugo this morning, saw a ton of mallards and a good number of geese. Also saw four or five huge flocks of migrating ducks, couldn't tell what they were, long ways up.

I saw the same as you guys this morning as far as mallards, the most I've seen this year. Went out with my son got my first limit of the year, nice mixed bag. Birds were flying non stop all morning. Saw a ton of Buffleheads too.

Tons of new birds seen on select public sloughs in the SW metro this weekend!!! Mallards in the hundreds, divers of all kinds, teal, woodducks and geese. O and the swans were everywhere so make sure you identify your target!!! Sloughs are drying up and cant get decoys out so pass shooting has been the new norm. Ended the weekend with a few bills, a mallard, a teal and a good old Shoveler for two guys!! Teal and divers were flying so close to the cattails that when we saw them they were already past us. Mallards followed the swans and would sit in no mans land. Heard of good field shoots in the area. Heading out to LQP next weekend hopefully they stick around for a while weather is looking ok besides the 20's at night. I'm doubting that the S zone will even have open water by season end but I can hope!!!

A few lakes in the central part of the state was reported to have divers by the hundreds and one lake close to a thousand.

Some good quick jump shoot Canadian Mallards yesterday on WMA's west of the metro. Lots of Mallards grouped together in out of the way pot holes.

full-39083-13866-weekendducks.jpg