• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waterfowl Reports

Backwaters and lakes are freezing up down here on the river. Went out this evening, plenty of birds moving, didn't have much action decoying them though. Got one Gad and missed a couple of other chances.

Was a bust...

couldn't get decoys right.

Mojo no mojo.

Learned something.

Frustrated as we couldn't get them to finish.

So there still there but how to get them to do the dance is another thing.

Goose hunted all day. Cornfield. Had a few flocks work but none would finish. Saw about 100 mallards.

broke 2" of ice for a half mile tonight seen a pile of mallards and with the dense fog through the night i think im sleeping in on the final day frown

I also spent the day in a corn field well more like six hours.

Should have been done with geese by 9:00 am but....

And the mallards where thick grin

I will try to post a pic later ofone of the mallard breast that had a bunch of worms in it.

Sifty

And the boys with what they are calling the last minute mallards.

The one on the right is the mallard that had the worms in it.

full-2159-27089-photo.jpg

Sifty

Sifty- we had a mallard with rice worms (if that's what they are called) a few years ago. People said they are not harmful when cooked but I did not eat it, The guy who shot it took it.

What did you do with it... Cook it? Just wondering how it worked out, did the worms fall off, burnt out or whatever.

Rice breast. Safe to east but you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who actually has eaten affected meat. sick

Sifty- we had a mallard with rice worms (if that's what they are called) a few years ago. People said they are not harmful when cooked but I did not eat it, The guy who shot it took it.

What did you do with it... Cook it? Just wondering how it worked out, did the worms fall off, burnt out or whatever.

Its in the freezer.

Not sure we will eat it.

Sifty

I would trash it--that is pretty gross.

Sorry its not cleaned all the way we frooze it just incase someone wanted to see it more closely.

Sifty

Here's my last report from North Dakota.

Kicked a lone drake mallard out of the the middle of a CRP field while we were chasing roosters. Darndest thing. Flew about 200 yards then set back down. Best I can figure was he'd been wounded. Seemed to fly ok, tho.

Saw one misguided flock of Canadas heading north of all things. Other than that, the skies and frozen sloughs were bare of waterfowl. Guessing the majority are south (or at the Crystal Sugar lagoons in Moorhead...still plenty of geese flying over Fargo every day).

I think I'll risk my luck with saying this Saturday morning we will limit out on geese in Ottertail County. Friend reports near 2K geese in grand pa pa's 440 acre cornfield this morning, now they'll overgraze it by Saturday morning but matters not as they are sitting on a point on grand pa pa's land in the river where our blind is for late honkers. Wish duck hunting was still open as the mallards are in there to.

Late season goose hunting usually provides some of the best Mallard action all season. To bad you have to sit and watch 1000's of them land in your decoys cry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still got green heads here I found a natural spring on the shoreline of our lake and the green heads are busy in it cleaning themselves up and enjoying the water. The open water hole is about 4-5 foot under a tree branch and about two dozen mallards are there. Hope to sneak up and take a few pictures of them. Last night it was fun to watch them land on the slippery snow covered ice. My lab was going crazy watching them.

Good luck sledneck ... One of these years I will head south for waterfowl

Yeah Pretty nasty Sifty...I've never seen anything like that before. sick

As for Northern Minnesota..Everything is locked up tight. Ice fishing is in full swing so reports from this area won't be back until Spring time for Snow Goose Hunting! Wishing Everyone a happy New Year!!