• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DNR says tough deer season?

bogwalker

Maybe its because north of Duluth isn't really deer country. Those populations will and should vary greatly over the years. the deer are going to move to the youngest of forests and away from the aging forests. Wolves are only one factor of many.

Also if a your bear season says that to you mrklean, then when I seen over 30 up the sawbill in late August over two days, i think there might be to many.

I quess one way to fix the problem quick is to only have 100 doe permits. my guess is there will be more deer next year and the year after that...should be back to managed before to long. deer populations probably follow some type of S graph where populations go up and down continuously, rarely staying at a steady population for too long

Why let the DNR tell you anything really, we noticed a few years back the population coming down so all land owners in our area were talking and we bought 0 bonus tags as a collective unit, we have plenty around for this fall, and talked some groups into a more selective buck harvest while we were at it. Too much opportunity for bow, rifle and muzzy so several of the deer that used to survive the hunt don't anymore as they are still hunted for many days after what would have been an already closed rifle season with 10,000 old school muzzy hunters, now what is there 80,000 muzzy hunters with in-lines that will kill and wound even more deer than past years, and "saving" their tags for late bow or muzzy, a few of the many reasons. My hope is there was so much standing corn last year my hope was that a lot more made the season, last spring for the first time found multiple wolf kills so it's unknown.