• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why do pleasure boaters dislike fisherman?

say your fishing a crowded area with not much room and another fishermen is running by you. would you rather have him come off plane which creates a big wake or zip by you on plane to keep the wake smaller. I'm not saying too close but close. just curious. i almost prefer people to keep going on as long as there not headed at me.

I prefer the "bigger than mine" boats go by on plane. Up at the cabin a few weeks ago my brother and law and I got up early and were on the water before the local bass club took off for their end of the year tournament. We settled on a spot and were fishing for smallmouth when 12 boats (ranger, stratos, the usual bass boats) buzzed us. Thank God they were on plane or we would have been swimming.

If everyone would just use common sense this world would be a WHOLE lot better wink

Depends what kind of boat it is....those big tuna boats really don't get up on plane, or even when they do, they are still pushing a ton of water.

Take a look at that video I linked to. He's up on plane and just about swamped our 16fter. I had to cut the video short because of the f-bombs that were dropped as we were rockin and rollin. laugh

But yeah with other type fishing boats, I would much rather them zip by or totally come off plane. Half plane only makes it worse.

Quote:
Depends what kind of boat it is....those big tuna boats really don't get up on plane, or even when they do, they are still pushing a ton of water

You're right Dtro, that thing was pushing a lot of water and I hear you on the F-bombs, although I would have been dropping more than F-bombs and mostly in my pants eek

say your fishing a crowded area with not much room and another fishermen is running by you. would you rather have him come off plane which creates a big wake or zip by you on plane to keep the wake smaller. I'm not saying too close but close. just curious. i almost prefer people to keep going on as long as there not headed at me.

I'd prefer they come off plane before they get to me, and then slow to a "no wake" speed!

When I meet someone on the Minnesota river, and i'm going upstream, i'm only going about 1mph to not make a wake...and thats OK! While going downstream, it might be 4 or 5mph where i'm not creating a wake. Regardless, take your flipp'n time.

- But i don't fish crowded areas...

ya i know the big cruisers always push a huge wake. I was just wondering. I zip by other fisherman in my bass boat. I usually try and stay a couple hundred feet away. but sometimes its more like a 100. With that said. I am also not doing it to be disrespectful or rude. i do it because that's how i prefer it myself. If you all told me you would rather the boats be off plane. Thats how i'd do it from now on.

I think they feel and it's true that they have as much rite to the water as fisherman, we've all had the crazy pleasure boater frustration, has anyone seen this 150' rule enforced ? I'm a non-metro guy so I haven't and it's like tailgating, it's rarely enforced so those who do those things have no fear of getting pinched, man I miss the 80's when you'd only have an occassional water skier to deal with and there was plenty of room on the lake for all and no one had today's technology. It's a crowding issue and one that's with us to stay.

To answer the original post and thread title its because I'm really handy with a 2oz. daredevil on a 7' flippin stick(with no hooks of course wink ) and I have jet ski repellent (a brick) and a really loud mouth. grin

However I do try and respect others on the water since it is for all of us. If there is a busy boating lane or a obvious location that people go through I stay away from the area. Jet skis are a blast to ride and just cruising around in a boat is fun IMO too. Respect does go both ways on the water and I try to give a wide berth to others on the water too.

As I'm reading these posts I'm reminded of my 6 year old who keeps telling me that it hurts when he bends his hand back a certain way. Simple response, don't do that anymore then. I grew up on Tonka and it's obvious nobody griping about the big boats have ever owned one. The difference between a $40.00 cruise and an $80.00 cruise is whether or not your on plane. It's common knowledge that you don't take a 14' boat on Tonka, unless you like getting swamped. I don't condone people acting oblivious to the other boaters but when some yahoo has his 14' boat in a KNOWN power alley, I don't feel sorry for him if he gets wet. If you feel like taking your dinghy out on Tonka, do some research and look up the designated "Quite water areas", they have speed limits and are good areas to take the kids out swimming. If some jerk is being unsafe, stop crying and call the fuzz, that's their job.

No offense too anyone who lives down there, but its time for my bed time prayer. Thank you lord that I don't live near a large city. And thanks for all the quiet peaceful time at the lake this summer. Reading these posts really makes me appreciate home.

But yeah with other type fishing boats, I would much rather them zip by or totally come off plane. Half plane only makes it worse.

+1

My wife and I canoe a LOT. This summer it has been my experience that fishermen,as much as pleasure boaters, buzz canoers. We counted 6 fisherman motor by within 50-100 feet of us last weekend... on a north metro lake... in open water even!-one at very close to full speed that darn near tipped us. You have to be a jerk to buzz a fisherman, and an absolute [PoorWordUsage] to buzz a canoer. be careful out there!