• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sturgeon... a few questions

jwmiller33

I net 'em too, but have grabbed some the smaller guys by hand. I wouldn't buy a $100+ net unless you plan on getting your use out of it. Mine pulls triple duty on muskies, cats and now sturg.

Good luck boating a hog by hand grin

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jwmiller33

• DTro

• bobbymalone

• fishuhalik

made it out last night from about 9-1:30. action was pretty good all night. seemed like every half hr-45 min or so we boated a fish. moved around to a few different spots and caught fish in every spot we moved to at some point. crawlers and fatheads were the ticket. biggest fish last night was a 47 and smallest was a 30.

full-27725-1551-dsc00693.jpg

full-27725-1552-dsc00693.jpg

full-27725-1553-dsc00722.jpg

full-27725-1554-dsc00714.jpg

full-27725-1555-dsc00710.jpg

Yeah, it was good last night!!

45,46,48,48,52 and 13 others smile

All was good, except for the one yahoo in the tuna boat that tried to kill us again. He came by once and we got his attention as he went by and he came off his "half plane" after he was by us (which was too late anyways, but at least he slowed down) and then continued no wake all way to Stillwater. All is well right? Nope... He came back later and purposely made as big as wake as he could and gave us a "screw you" honk of his horn as he went by. A smaller boat would have been swamped I'm confindent of that. These were 6fters he made mad

dtro i might have been fishing near you for an hr or two last night. were you in a boat with one of those red/orange blinking beacon lights?

so Dtro, I have to ask. if that was you fishing next to us last night, when you left that spot, did you go home? or go to another spot? i couldnt imagined you guys leaving that spot to go to another one with how many fish you were pulling in the boat! wink

Is this the species in Sturgeon lake by Moose lake? Are they best to fish at night? Seems fun!

Posssibly, but not legal to fish on any inland waters in the state, other than portions of the Rainy River and St Croix.

jwmiller, those sturgeon are nice but not even close to how sweet those white and purple zubaz are grin

I like how he changes pants for the other picture! Nice! Those pants are awesome!

geez good reports guys! im having a little trouble finding someone with a boat that wants to go. i dont have one so im grounded. anyone have an open spot? got out once this year and only got one, really hoping to get out again this weekend. ill buy bait and drinks.

I like how he changes pants for the other picture! Nice! Those pants are awesome!

the wind picked up a little bit after midnight so we had to put an extra layer on! i think those pants were our good luck charm wink

also what kinda areas and depths were you guys fishing? no specific spots needed just what to look for (although i wouldnt be mad if you were willing to share!)

Where's a good place to launch in the Hudson/Bayport area that is open until 1 or 2 AM? I usually launch out of hastings (close to my house) and boat north from there but with this no wake deal that's not really an option. Thanks.

The big guys have been in deep water 50ft to 60. I know of 3 reported and one harvested at the legnth of 62 out of 55 ft. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM cant wait for that meat to be shared. Thankfully my buds share even after what they taught me. Can not do better than those guys.

I respect that. I'll hopefully be hitting Prescott on saturday. Are there solid Sturgeon opportunities just up stream from the confluence?

Any suggestions where to find shad?

Where do you launch at Dtro?

The only DNR launch (i.e. free) I know about in the Stillwater/Bayport region is Boom Site. FWIW, at "no wake" speeds, it takes about an hour to get from Boom Site to the power plant area that a lot of guys fish.

There are some private marinas in the area that charge a fee.

Isn't there one by Andersen Windows? It's close but there's no parking (and from what I hear you pay to park down the road a ways).

FWIW, I consider "slow no wake" restrictions to be trolling time. During travel times just throw a Triple D or something on a sturgeon rod in the rod holder and hope you tie into a muskie on the way to your spot.

Great idea Nick! Never though of that one.

Paying the fee for a private Marina sucks but it's efficient and split between 3 guys aint too bad, wink

Isn't there one by Andersen Windows? It's close but there's no parking (and from what I hear you pay to park down the road a ways).

FWIW, I consider "slow no wake" restrictions to be trolling time. During travel times just throw a Triple D or something on a sturgeon rod in the rod holder and hope you tie into a muskie on the way to your spot.

Hmm . . . I can't believe I didn't think of that before.

GREAT IDEA! THANKS MAN

IDK why I never thought of that in waters that have skis. You got the heavy gear in the boat anyway, why not have a half dozen good trolling baits with.

It must be be bumper to bumper up there dont you guys speak to each other when your out?

I met a great guy the last 2 years and I think your missing out on something.

Dtro, you gain knowledge by consuming! wink

Afton shut down this afternoon be wise.

went out last night... got on the water before dark and left around 12:15. the cold front that came thru the area that brought rain was quite nasty for about 30 minutes, but after that front moved thru it was a beautiful night (mind you it was a bit chilly with that northernly wind). i think the cold front turned the fishing off a little bit, as you really had to work for your fish (and by work, i mean sit and wait). water level was about 2 feet higher than when i was out a few days ago. biggest fish last night was a 43.

lots of boats out there last night and some guys feel they dont need to abide by the no wake zone rules... saw the sheriff out there last night patrolling around.