• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trailing Deer with Dogs

mabr

the 30 years i've been hunting i've never seen a dog chase a deer ever, let alone a dog in the woods during deer hunting. yeah i've seen those dogs in the ditch along the roads sniffin' road kill, but i surely don't think: "that dogs chasin' and killin' deer, lets turn around and go shoot 'em !" that way of thinking is immaturity, trigger happy or both. If you see a dog in the woods it's probably a local farm dog out exploring and just plain screwing around. i think some people jump to conclusions when they see a dog unattended during deer season. it's definatly not a "problem" IMO.

"that dogs chasin' and killin' deer, lets turn around and go shoot 'em !"

Obviously, that would be plain stupid..........but do some RESEARCH and you will find that dogs chasing deer is a problem and unfortunately those dogs that are caught by DNR are usually put down right away or shot on site and this is done cause it is a PROBLEM!! I like how you all are saying that i am going to shoot a dog if one comes by me in my stand.............i would never do such a thing, but would be very tempted to if there is a deer right in front of it and the dog is after it!!

You say you've never seen a dog in the woods chasing deer, well you would probably start to see them if people use them to track down deer especially on public land!

But back to the original "trailing deer with dogs" i would be for it if it is done by TRAINED dogs like the original poster had said!!

How do you prove a dog is trained, my friend in Stevens county had a K9 unit hit on his blazer, daughter took it to school, friend showed up ready to kill daughter, dog jumped in backseat area and began eating a bakers dozen of cookies, after many apologies from the sheriff's office that was it. I'd rather have a leashed dog find that deer, get it properly tagged etc. than to go blast another buck, find the 1st buck days later just to cut out the rack, waste the meat etc. I'd pray that this wouldn't happen to often after exhausting every effort without the dog because do you really want Rex lifting his leg and scenting up your hunting area so people would do this as a last resort I'd hope.

But back to the original "trailing deer with dogs" i would be for it if it is done by TRAINED dogs like the original poster had said!!

What exactly should be required for a trained dog to recover deer? I'm not saying training wouldn't help but come on, should our dogs be training and require some kind of permit or license to track a deer.

I say if you have a leash, a nose, and a willing dog give it a try. No need to complicate things.

I say if you have a leash, a nose, and a willing dog give it a try. No need to complicate things.

X2

My lab will just as soon sniff a squirrel up tree or a rabbit into a brush pile. And yes, she'll trail fresh deer scent but she knows the command "Deer! No!" And she's trained for birds and does a dang fine job with em.

I'd take her in heartbeat to track a wounded deer if legal. She'll not only be smelling the deer but possibly the blood that is so difficult to see that we're missing it. Or just even sense the stressed deer. I can't possibly know all the thoughts going through my dog's head when she's sniffing scent. There's way more to the scent story than I'll ever understand - so that's why I have a dog with a good nose. smile

A little internet searching will reveal that using dogs for trailing wounded deer is a very exact pursuit. It started in Germany and is gaining acceptance and usage across Europe and in some places in the U.S. Not your average lab. Long-haired dachshunds and other seemingly unlikely breeds. Most of the trailing happens on leash. Scent trailing. It is very specialized and not sure how it would translate for the average hunter during gun season. Gov. Pawlenty could have used one last year.

A little internet searching will reveal that using dogs for trailing wounded deer is a very exact pursuit. It started in Germany ...

you mean my Cherokee and Shoshone ancestors learned that from Germans?

Amazing.

blush

You're right to point that out. I meant my comment with respect to what would probably be allowed now if Minnesota would ever legally allow dogs to be used to trail wounded deer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Using a dog on a leesh to help find a wounded deer makes total sence to me. Good old MN has to make it hard and have a million rules. On a side note I hunted the same patch of woods by St cloud for 12 years. After about 4 years a neighbor had a litter of shepard pups. Year 2 they were in the woods running freely and I scared them away a few times. years 3 and 4 I saw them chasing deer and told the owner about it and mentioned that somebody might shoot them if they saw it happen. Personally I couldn't do that but I hunt with guys who would and mentioned that to him. He didn't care. Year 5 a guy started trapping fox and yotes out there. I also mentioned this to the dog owner. Sure enough one of the dogs got into a trap. I went to the dog owners house and told his daughter about it and to hop in her car and follow me to the dog cuz I was not going to approach it. She came along and set the dog free and was crying a lot. I told her that I mentioned it to her dad that we hunt the area and there is also a trapper out here. She must of had words with here dad cuz I never saw the dogs in the wood again. That was 4 years ago and I havn't hunted there for 2 years now but I bet they are still penned up.

My old Lab helped in the recovery of more than one deer as well as helping me find sheds. On more than one occasion I watched him as he lay watching deer walk past him in the yard and not so much as bark at them. To say that using dogs to do this will make them deer hungry is rediculous. I have seen dogs allowed to run wild become deer chasers because it becomes a game to them. A dog trained properly to obay its owners commands will not be a problem. Obviously there will always be exceptions, but The greater good will come from allowing the use of dogs,not condeming it.

wow..........she beat the royal s$%t out of that dog!! And as far as prairie lions, aka cats, every hunter should be picking them off when hunting!! wink

After careful review of the regulations, there is no law against shooting and losing a deer, returning home, changing clothes, and taking your dog for a nice (leashed) nature walk to raise your spirits.