• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prevent a ban on lead fishing tackle

I have thousands of dollars invested in lead jigs, spinners, trolling weights, ice fishing lures, and other misc. tackle. To say that it is illegal and to loose the privledge to use my tackle would be a huge blow to my wallet, and my ability to catch fish. I would however 100% support a ban on lead sinkers and split shot less than one ounce.

This is just a letter with a petition to EPA, and EPA now has a comment time to hear responses to this petition. This is not a rule making proposal, and EPA will certainly not adopt a rule banning lead tackle based on the comments received from this commenting period. However, EPA could decide to develop a rule based on the comments, and then there would be a rule commenting period.

Here is a copy of the letter (on American Bird Conservancy letterhead) that started this process:

Administrator Lisa P. Jackson

Environmental Protection Agency

USEPA Headquarters

Ariel Rios Building

1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N. W.

Mail Code: 1101A

Washington, DC 20460

August 3, 2010

Dear Administrator Jackson:

As provided in the Toxic Substances Control Act (“TSCA”), Petitioners

American Bird Conservancy, Association of Avian Veterinarians, Center

for Biological Diversity, Public Employees for Environmental

Responsibility, and Project Gutpile request that the EPA adopt

regulations prohibiting the manufacture, processing, and

distribution in commerce of lead shot, lead bullets, lead fishing

sinkers, and other lead-containing fishing gear, pursuant to TSCA

(15 U.S.C.§ 2605(a)(2)(A)(i)). Such regulations are needed to

protect vulnerable wildlife species from the ongoing threat of lead

poisoning, as well as to safeguard human health.

TSCA mandates that the EPA must regulate chemical substances where

there is a “reasonable basis to conclude” that such substances

“present an unreasonable risk of injury to health and or the environment”

(15 U.S.C. § 2605(a)). TSCA authorizes the EPA to prohibit “the

manufacturing, processing, or distribution in commerce” of a chemical

substance for a particular use or uses (15 U.S.C. § 2605(a)(2)(A)(i)).

The EPA has already declared that lead is a toxic substance, and has

removed nearly all lead containing products from the market.

We present in the attached petition nearly 500 peer reviewed scientific

articles documenting the toxic effects of lead on wildlife species and

conclude that the lead components of bullets, shotgun pellets, fishing

weights and lures pose an unreasonable risk of injury to human and

wildlife health and to the environment.

Ammunition and tackle manufacturers now market a wide variety of non-lead,

non-toxic bullets, shotgun pellets, and fishing tackle that can replace

lead projectiles and weights. The EPA has long held that whenever a

toxic substance customarily used in the manufacture of commercial

products can be replaced by a nontoxic substitute, the precautionary

principle dictates that articles made of the toxic substance

should be removed from the market. All hunting and fishing gear

containing lead could economically be replaced with non-toxic

alternatives, thus making a strong argument for EPA-regulatory action.

The petitioners understand that EPA is specifically prohibited from

regulating ammunition or firearms under TSCA, but that toxic

components of ammunition can be regulated if non-toxic alternatives

are commercially available. The petitioners have waited until

non-toxic alternatives have become available to submit this

petition in an effort to clearly indicate that this petition is

not an attempt to regulate ammunition or firearms.

Sincerely,

Michael Fry, PhD

American Bird Conservancy

Washington DC.

From some Web sites, it appears there is a problem with small lead sinkers and small jigs causing substantial bird mortality, especially for loons in New Hampshire. I would support a ban on lead sinkers of the size that are causing the problem.

However, as river rat316 stated, it is more likely that only the smallest sinkers, such as split shot, cause this mortality. This is not so different than the Feds banning lead shot for waterfowl. The 1/2 to one ounce and larger sinkers seem very unlikely to cause substantial waterfowl deaths.

There may be a number of fishing lures with brass or bronze that also have small amounts of lead. I would like to see some proof that these lures cause significant bird mortality before they are banned.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has studied the effects of lead sinkers on loons in Minnesota and has found about five to six percent mortality to loons from lead sinkers. EPA reports the following restrictions have been implemented in other states:

New Hampshire has banned the use and sale of lead fishing sinkers that weigh less than an ounce and lead jigs smaller than an inch. (NOTE: A New Hampshire study found that 44% of death in loons was from injested lead sinkers. However, this was from very heavily fished lakes.)

Maine and New York have banned the sale of lead sinkers weighing a half-ounce or less.

In 2004, the Vermont Legislature passed a bill banning the sale (January 2006) of lead sinkers weighing 1/2 ounce or less, and then the use (January 2007) of those lead sinkers in the state.

In June 2000, the Massachusetts Fisheries & Wildlife Board voted to prohibit the use of all lead sinkers for the taking of fish in Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs, the two bodies of water that support the core of that state's loon population.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has banned lead sinkers in two national wildlife refuges and Yellowstone National Park; restrictions have been discussed on the use of lead sinkers and jigs at other national wildlife refuges where loons and trumpeter swans breed.

---

None of these restrictions are as broad and sweeping as what the letter to EPA is requesting, the ban of all lead containing tackle. If you want to comment on this issue, you should be aware that there apparently are some areas where loons and some other waterfowl have died from lead sinkers and jigs. Personally, I'm going to wait and see if EPA even decides to take any action before making a comment. My hope is that EPA will see that the claims in this letter are too broadly stated and will basically ignore it. If EPA proposes a rule to ban lead tackle, I'll definitely be commenting to try and get it restricted to areas where lead tackle have caused problems, or to limit it to smaller sinkers and smaller jigs.

Just thought I would throw this in for consideration.

The Center for Biological Diversity also has a program going right now they are calling the "Endangered Species Condom" program. From what I gather, the theory is the less people reproduce, the less danger some of these species will be in. Here's a quote taken from their website:

Quote:
To help people understand the impact of overpopulation on other species, and to give them a chance to take action in their own lives, the Center is distributing free packets of Endangered Species Condoms depicting six separate species: the polar bear, snail darter, spotted owl, American burying beetle, jaguar, and coquí guajón rock frog.

Oh No you didn't... mad

Now they have gone too far...

I'll never give up my daily meal of Coquí Guajón Rock Frog's!

Them Bastards!

My God..What next?

wink

Thanks Redlantern. I think it would be pretty easy to change a bit of our fishing habits (being more picky about WHEN we use lead) to limit leaving it where it's getting eaten.

It sounds like the worst thing you could do is pouring split shot all over gravel, so do the opposite of that :P Save split shot for when you're fishing a bit deeper.

Some people just have to have a cause and need control over others. It could be because their own lives are so out of control.

That may be the best summation of this issue and many others.

Thank you.

I'm with you Main, not too tough for me to splurge on a non-toxic split shot for about double the cost of lead. Why is this even an issue? Of course this whole thing can be taken a bit too far but as far as split shot goes, why not?

Not to be argumentative, but I think it may be more of a case of Bio-concentration. It happens when little critters on the bottom, salmanders, mud-puppys, etc., inadvertantly ingest lead, which in turn are eaten by shore birds, sandpipers, grebes, loons etc. The lead actually concentrates in the higher food chain animals flesh as it travels further up the food chain.

It's also been documented that loons will dive very deep, up to 200 ft., to hunt for their food. Hence, scattering lead in deeper water is not necessarily going to stop the problem.

Personally, I'd hate to see our MN Loon population disappear.

Thank you Jerry for that info (Blue Kayak).

Anyone have any ideas what a substitute for lead could or should be? I'm looking at my 6 & 8 oz no-roll and bank sinkers right now and wondering what could replace the weight with a similar/smaller size than lead for the same price.

The most expensive tackle for Catfishing to me is the sinkers and if they went up in price even more I would be disappointed.

However, we gotta do what is best for our wildlife. I would rather be safe than sorry and lose populations of birds.

If lead is an issue in venison, then I should have had issues years ago.

All a bunch of hogwash for some company to fill thier pockets with a new lead free product.

I think this country has issues much more serious than lead in bullets or fishing tackle.

i agree harvey. my goodness i'm surprised i'm still around with all the venison, partridge, and rabbits i have eaten and they were all shot with lead. good luck.

Case closed ... harvey and rein haven't gotten sick.

I don't need to know anything more than that.

How about sunburns and skin cancer fellas ?

Tobacco and cancer ?

Whats been your experience ?

Cause its all about you.

How about sunburns and skin cancer fellas ?

Tobacco and cancer ?

herbicides sold at walmart/ homedepot to kill weeds.

Very highly toxic and anyone of any age can buy it off the shelf.

Millions of gallons spread all over the country.

ethanol that dr cornatzer helps produce, it sends the toxic by-products into the air, water and on land.

For their ethanol production they use waste coal and burn it for electricity.

And also, they do not capture the gasses that are highly toxic.

Since far more mercury and other toxic contaminants enter a waste coal burner to produce a given amount of electricity, these high levels of toxic contaminants have to come out somewhere. Toxic metals cannot be destroyed by burning them. Toxins are then concentrated in the highly toxic ash that ultimately threatens the groundwater wherever this ash is dumped. The industry claims that 99.8% of the mercury in the fuel is captured and ends up in their ash.

Waste coal ash is dumped in communities not far from the waste coal burners, threatening the groundwater with leaching lead, mercury and other poisons

1% of 1 million = 10,000. CORRECT

1% of 100 million = 100,000. INCORRECT

1% of 100 million = 1,000,000 is the correct amount!

and what has that have to do with led bullets or shotgun shells? maby try a new thread. seems like you already have determined that knowone in our families have had any of those terrible afflictions and have not felt the terrible grief that goes with it. is it ok if a couple of guys give their opinons? we are not rocket scientist like yourself who knows best for the rest of us who are in perfect health.

As someone who has personally handled and tagged loons and other birds that died from lead poisoning as a volunteer (since the anti-lead ban people only buy anecdotes over data), I fully support a ban on lead tackle and shot. Yes, I still have a some lead sinkers in my tackle collection, but as I go through them I am replacing with non-toxic. Additionally, I shoot steel for grouse--though it makes me a little nervous in rocky areas where ricochet is possible. The biggest problem I've had is just finding non-toxic tackle in small towns. I wish some of the local stores that sell tackle would stock some of the more affordable non-toxic alternatives so people could see that they aren't really that bad.

Am I excited about higher prices? No. Do I think a lead ban would increase competition among manufacturers to come out with an affordable, quality non-toxic product? Yes. Do I think that people who've fished with lead for 40 years would be upset with any alternative no matter how good? Yes. I'm definitely not rolling in dough and I definitely have minimalist gear, but do I think the cost difference between lead and non-toxic is a drop in the bucket compared to what most guys are spending on fishing these days? Yes. Do I think the low cost of lead encourages people to fish with lighter line and drag through snaggier cover than is probably smart? Yes.

Anyway, I just don't think sportsmen should continue to add more and more toxic lead to the environment, especially knowing that it kills waterfowl. Yes, I grew up biting split shot from the time I was six years old and IIIII'mm purfektly%%%%%fin^^^^^e stoppwatchverbbigcedartreeees....**drool** crazy What was I? Oh yeah. The point is, I would never in a million years bite a split shot now that I know better, and even though I don't hunt deer, if I did, I wouldn't be pumping lead fragments in meat that I wanted to feed my family either, no matter how many old timers claim to be purfektly%%%%%fin^^^^^e.

I'm making the adjustment now, some type of restrictions are on their way, and I support them sooner than later.

ok, you make some good points. i am willing to have an open mind on this and may change my tune on this one. as far as i know loons diet consists of fish. could their lead content be from being in water which has a lead content or do the fish they eat , eat the lead pellets and then pass it on to the loon. in my mind i just dont see ducks eating that many pellets. but thats just me and i realy haven't looked into it as much as you did. as far as venison i would think it would have the least concern since most people remove the meat from the wounded area. i responded to the other posts because i think everyone has been impacted by some infliction or disease in one way or the other and we were talking about the damage lead that is done to birds and animals. so i will read up on it. thanks for you post. good luck.

Ive shot many many pheasants, all with lead. Now they are coated in copper but still when cleaning birds I find bb's that are not completely covered.

Ive shot deer with a large lead slug, I have no problems.

I find it very interesting that people are concerned about the wildlife all of the sudden when they should be concerned about themselves, and there kids.

as many of you know lead occurs naturally in many places; reservoirs, lakes, rivers or a well that supplies your drinking water.

The network of pipes and indoor plumbing through which that water travels throughout your house - even a faucet itself - may contain lead, or have been connected with lead fittings or solder. Your tap water can contain harmful levels of lead.

Your city water line might have a lead fitting some where still which is dropping lead deposits into your drinking water...

And who's concerned about the wildlife??? As far as I am concerned I will still be shooting lead until they ban it. I will still be fishing with lead until they ban it. and I will still be balancing my tires with lead until they ban it.

EAT LEAD!

my point is someone has to convince me that lead shot is harmfull to wildlife. i dont hunt ducks so i realy haven't paid any attention to it. partridge dont eat shot shells only get shot with them and i remove them of course. that is why i brought up the loon example in my last post. they eat fish and i dont believe they eat pellets from shells. so if there is lead found in a loon it has to be the water source and can be there naturaly. and as far as deer it's a no brainer. how can a lead bullet harm you from venison. the meat from a wound is removed before eating unless your andrew zimmerman from bizzare foods. however i try to keep an open mind on a variety of things, but in the meantime let it be lead. good luck.

reinhard1:

http://birding.about.com/b/2010/02/27/lead-poisoning-kills-condors.htm

The same principle is probably true for a number of MN's scavenger birds of prey.

And lead in venison:

http://www.startribune.com/local/17480194.html

When the bullet or shot enters the deer, it fragments, splinters, and disintegrates, and embeds small particles well beyond the initial wound. Luckily the amount is generally pretty small, but I wouldn't feed it to a pregnant woman or young child.

thank you for the sites and i read them both. it's hard to comment on the condors that died from lead poisening whithout sounding uncaring. three birds from an protectd species and only 350 left of those is never good news. but this issue is national if not world wide. as far as the deer situation at the food shelfs i personaly give food items to the food shelf and volunteer through my church and hand out safe food from semi trucks to the needy. giving wild game from hunters may have good intentions but a bad idea from the get go. not everyhunter proccesses their deer the same and fragments from bullets can happen. i have processed deer for years and have removed the bullets if still in the carcass and all surrounding meat. any food items given to the public should be inspected before given to the public and even then as we see in recalls of hamburger ect. unfortunate situations occour. you are only asking for trouble when the public gets involved in donating wild game even with the best of intentions. good luck.

This lead thing drives me crazy. Why are we so reactionary? Lead is a proven, known toxin that we continue to choose to use. Sure it will cost more to switch out our fishing tackle. If we do it will only cause manufacturers to come up with something different which will eventually come down in price and increase in efficiency. Probably never as cheap or as easy as lead. My goodness, how we squeal when we are called to change just a little. To say "I've been using lead all my life and it's never affected me" is just ridiculous. It's a continuum--who knows how you have been affected. I bit down lots of split shot in my youth but to let my own daughter do that now would only make me an [PoorWordUsage]. We can change as the available information changes.

I worked in Alaska on a Spectacled Eider study. We lugged a portable x-ray machine around the Y-K Delta. Just one ingested lead shot lead to nest failure.

I still want to use depleted uranium. It may not mold as easy as lead, but could you IMAGINE how great of a sinker material it would be?

• 4 weeks later...

As your Representative, I would like to update you regarding an important issue to which you expressed your opposition: the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banning fishing tackle containing lead.

Shortly after you contacted me, on September 24, 2010, I joined Representative Dan Boren (OK) and 77 of my colleagues in sending a letter to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson on the issue. Citing the lack of scientific evidence to support a ban and the impact a ban would have on American fishermen, we expressed our opposition to a federal ban on traditional fishing equipment and lures. Moreover, we stressed that individual state fish and wildlife agencies are already monitoring and addressing localized issues involving lead.

Rest assured, your opposition to the EPA banning fishing tackle containing lead will be well remembered during the 111th Congress. Thank you for previously contacting me on this issue and for all you do for our community and country. I care about you and if I or my staff can be of assistance to you regarding this issue or any other, please contact us at the Woodbury or St. Cloud/Waite Park district office or the Washington, DC office.

Sincerely,

Michele Bachmann

Member of Congress

• 1 month later...

EPA denies ban on lead tackleEmail Print Comments1

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The angling public and the fishing industry once again have beaten back an attempt to ban the manufacture and sale of fishing tackle containing lead.

This time around, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) denied a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other groups.

"The sportfishing community applauds EPA's decision," said Gordon Robertson, vice president of the American Sportfishing Association (ASA). "It represents a solid review of the biological facts, as well as the economic and social impacts that would have resulted from such a sweeping federal action. It is a common sense decision."

In its letter to the groups, EPA said, "You have not demonstrated that the remaining action requested in your petition — a uniform ban of lead for use in all fishing gear — is necessary to protect against an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment, as required by TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) section 21. The petition also does not demonstrate that the action requested is the least burdensome alternative to adequately protect against the concerns, as required by TSCA section 6. Accordingly, EPA is denying your request for a ban on lead in all fishing gear."

Just as did organizations during the 1990s, these groups asserted that a ban was justified because significant numbers of water birds die from ingesting lead sinkers. Scientific research does not support that claim.

"The petitioners claim that lead is threatening loons across the nation, but several studies, including the most recent population study by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, say that loon populations are either stable or increasing throughout most of their range," Robertson said.

In addition to a ban not being needed to protect wildlife, its implementation would have increased costs for both the fishing industry and anglers. Depending on the alternative metal used and current prevailing costs for raw materials, non-leaded fishing tackle products can cost from 10 to 20 times more than equivalent lead products. Also, some do not perform as well as their lead counterparts, and non-lead items are not always as readily available.

A combined effort helped convince EPA to deny the petition, Robertson explained, with 43,000 anglers providing comments "necessary to support the letters sent by organizations."

The Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, The Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, the National Marine Manufacturers Association, and BoatU.S. took the lead, he added.

"Their letters asking for dismissal were instrumental in helping us get this done," Robertson said. "The letter from CSF was signed by 80 members of Congress, and that's really saying something."

• 2 months later...

Quote:
Yeah, the next thing you know these clowns will be picketing the Discovery Channel building, demanding programming condemning lead

They should be protesting the fact that the Discovery Channel building irresponsibly features windows made of clear glass. This creates a great danger for migratory birds. see?