• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mmmmmm.......golf course brookies. Tasted just like trout chow. You just know that for most of those fish their first worm was their last.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reinhard1

• Raider4ever

• Poacher's pariah

• Northlander

R1, my aunt and uncle lived up on by the antenna farm. Sometime in the mid 70's, 10th west was repaved smooth as glass. A buddy and I would skateboard that hill from Skyline down to 4th street all day. Steep with good curves, best riding hill in the city at the time for longer rides (along with 6th ave. east on Sunday mornings). NOTHING beat the year they repaved lake avenue in front of Washington. Raw speed down that hill. Surprised no one got whacked going through the 3rd street lights. Also hunted snakes up in rock piles near the 'tenna farm.

i went down the hill on 6th ave east with my 58 chev for four blocks with no brakes after they went out on me, even my emergency brakes failed. went through all the red lights on the way down and ended up in a pile of fresh sod nest to a mortuary of all things. that pile stood that chevy strait up in the air and ploped back down big time. i get out of the car and here comes a catholic priest running towards me asking me if i was alright. never forgot that to this day. that was in the late 60's. does coffee pond still exist? i dont golf but my daughter wants me to go with her one day and asked me where i would want to go. i told her if i was going to go anywhere it would be enger golf course. it will probably be a long 18 holes but i will be there more for the memories. good luck.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure Coffee Pond got obliterated when the redesigned the golf course and that whole crazy corner area.

End of Fern Ave. on Kelly street. Best place to be a kid. Big Woods at the back door with forts in the woods, chipmunk, squirrel, rabbit, and grouse hunting , city life out the front door.

Grant School rulz! Pretty strict back then. You didn't make a peep without raising your hand and sat in class with your hands on the deck and fingers crossed. It was OK for a teacher to whip a chalk board eraser at you if you screwed around. I kissed a girl on the check in Kindergarten. I think Mrs Sullivan saw me do it but didn't say anything only because I think she was in shock.

Her name was Phillis and I think she was in shock too, I don't know.

I did sit by the teachers desk once for climbing up the slide before the kid in front of me slid down.

Back then every kid had a red and green mat that you took your nap on.

Then onto 1st- 6th grade.

I'd bury my graded papers in the woods on the way home. I didn't need the getting hassled everyday because of bad grades from Mom and Dad and figured I'd get enough punishment come time to hand them my report card. God I hate those big red Fs.

I always got an A in gym though. Kids were in shape back then, even the fat kids but there weren't many of them. We walked or rode bikes EVERYWHERE. My bike was a piece of crapploa, it would shake like a out of balance washing machine when I got it over 20 mph and didn't have any brakes.

Up hill it did OK though.

I ski jumped at Chester Bowl and fished there in the summer. Bobber and a Daredevil was my go to pattern, didn't catch Jack Squat though.

Since you guys already let the cat out of the bag Twin Ponds and the Golf coarse I'll fess up too. Honed my skills there and brought more then a few meals of Brookies home from there.

Used to carry them on a stick thought the gills. Once in a while some crabby golfer would yell at us and tell us to leave. That was angler harassment but I didn't know that then.

Culture shock when I got into Washington Jr High. Wasn't long till I fit right in though.

Then on to new Central High and graduated in 77 but had to got to summer school.

Oh ya good old summer school. I think I got kicked out for cheating. LOL!

If I would have stayed at Washingtom after 7th grade I would have flunked out for sure. My favorite fishin spot was below the curling club. Monster trout and tons of smelt in there. Nothing like pushing a bike with 2 5 gallon pails of smelt on the handle bars all the way up 10th ave E to 7th or 9th st.

Like Frank said not many fat kids and even they were in good shape. That was way before these stupid video games and cel phones. We walked or biked over to a friends house if we wanted to talk. Thats if someone hadnt cut the chain and stole your bike.

i went down the hill on 6th ave east with my 58 chev for four blocks with no brakes after they went out on me, even my emergency brakes failed. went through all the red lights on the way down and ended up in a pile of fresh sod nest to a mortuary of all things. that pile stood that chevy strait up in the air and ploped back down big time. i get out of the car and here comes a catholic priest running towards me asking me if i was alright. never forgot that to this day. that was in the late 60's. does coffee pond still exist? i dont golf but my daughter wants me to go with her one day and asked me where i would want to go. i told her if i was going to go anywhere it would be enger golf course. it will probably be a long 18 holes but i will be there more for the memories. good luck.

Now that's funny. Shoot, if it had been a fatal accident, you had a priest there for Extreme Unction, and then they'd carry you right into the mortuary. Amazing how many times we cheat death, eh? smilesmile

still think about that. i mean i went through red lights with traffic comming from all directions. there was a center isle i poped over on whatever street the last one is before you hit the lake. then to hit a pile of sod and be stood straight up cant compare to any fair ride. thank GOD knowone got hurt including me. good luck.

Steve, be careful about dissin' Mentalton. No doubt you'd be out of a job were it not for our alums!

someone want to tell me what mentelton is? where in duluth was this area located or is it an area. sorry never heard of it. good luck.

i was wondering what that was. sounded like an old gang back then.lol. i went to emerson one block from my house. thank you. good luck.

Mentalton and Grunt Elementaries. They are about a mile apart and there used to be a school in between them (Franklin). Now there's nothing between Grunt and Congdon (don't make me tell you their "nickname"). There used to be three that I can think of (Munger, Jefferson, and Endion). A buddy of mine got an apartment in Endion a while back and his was a gym wall and it still had a basket on it!! That was sweet.

Now, now, Raider. Before you get too graphic, remember what our DCHS Nickname was? Trojans! So the "Congdons" don't fall far from the tree, eh? Ironically, the other high schools seem under represented on this thread. Maybe they can't fish? What say you 'cakes, _unters, and scats?

I attended 7 different schools over 12 years. When they close Nettleton and Central, every school I ever attended will have been closed and/or demolished. Not a bad batting average, eh? "You want to close a school? just send ol' PP to it for a few years and the school board will tear the place down." Boy, what a legacy.

you know it's weird when i graduated in 67 out of central they said they were closing the school because they felt it was no longer safe as a school structure wise as i remember. wasn't long it became some kind of government building. good memories, swimming team at washington Jr and duluth central also, but still used the washington pool. we had a good team. good luck.

Now, now, Raider. Before you get too graphic, remember what our DCHS Nickname was? Trojans! So the "Congdons" don't fall far from the tree, eh? Ironically, the other high schools seem under represented on this thread. Maybe they can't fish? What say you 'cakes, _unters, and scats?

Im a Hunter by the way! No way I was going to be a Trojan!

This topic has fallen off of the deep end to say the least.

With that said let me join in. Steve (Northlander) you would make the perfect Trojan from what I've been told... I'll let you fill in the blanks grin

I'm Proud to be a Central grad (Trojan) class of '79

This topic has fallen off of the deep end to say the least.

With that said let me join in. Steve (Northlander) you would make the perfect Trojan from what I've been told... I'll let you fill in the blanks grin

I'm Proud to be a Central grad (Trojan) class of '79

I dont get it what am I missing?