• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grew up on the lake and made it a point to stop and talk to every DNR boat that was pulling gill and trap nets. Most of the time the DNR would get annoyed and said they couldn't talk b/c they were on the clock. However, twice I was able to have a decent conversation with them. Heck, they even let me pull next to them and watch them while they pulled a net. Pretty cool stuff. Anyways, both times I talked with them they said that there are big walleyes present in the lake. Their explanation was that the lake is totally different from most of the other "walleye factories" (LOTW,ML,Red, etc.). Most lakes are classified as mostly oligotrophic or eutrophic, but Island is a solid mixture of both. This scatters the fish and you don't get the big schools of fish throughout the lake. Instead, there are small schools located all over the lake. Basically, you have to break Island down into micro-structure and fish accordingly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reinhard1

• Northlander

• fishinfey8

• tacklejunkie

Island isnt like the other 'walleye factories" because it just doesnt have the numbers of big walleye. Thats why Im thinking introducing another stocked strain of eyes would hopefully bread some larger fish.

I will say Island has to be broken down and the wind played a lot. Its just too big to try and fish either side in even a week without breaking down.

Also the Island lake walleyes are just wierd. They arent usually very agressive, at least not for me. I hate when a walleye hits a jig like a small perch. Oh wait maybe because they are really just a little bit bigger perch. wink

Fishfey8 if your up this way and want to hit Island for some fall eyes and crappies let me know. Maybe we can teach eachother some stuff?

well we went pretty much through the growth rate stuff for walleys and now to catch them. i love just to get a meal and tussle with the smallies also. hard water will find me on boulder or rice this winter. good luck.

NL I would love to get out and fish with you sometime. I'm not sure when I’ll be up next, but I'll give you a heads up when I know.

I rarely find the nice fish, but when I do it's more rewarding for me than going to the "walleye factories" where anyone can catch nice fish. I can only catch nicer fish consistently for about a two week period around the same time every year. But, I always catch plenty of fish and also enjoy the smallie, northern, perch, crappie, and occasional musky action all while in pursuit of the bigger walleyes. That two week period does tells me that there is a population of nicer fish in there, even if they aren't strong in numbers, and that challenge keeps me coming back for more.

that's it exactly the challenge is always there. the other reason- the beauty of the lake and variety of fish. good luck.

They are all growing real good in there. I think the walleye population could be much better if the DNR did some intensive research and did some stocking.

The DNR wouldn't have to go any further than the SLR for a solid strain of big walleyes. Vermillion has some as well.

Thats what I was thinking. A fish that is used to warmer river water as well as deeper cooler Big Lake water. Would be a perfect fit. Does it make too much sense? Could it be that easy?

Maybe Ill plant some 22" river fish in Island this fall. wink Just jokin of course.