• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins get Matt Capps for Ramos

SledNeck

For those of us drooling over SP's, when you can't get them, you need good ones in the BPen.

why? so they can mop up the game when were losing by 5 runs?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jwmiller33

• Z-520

• PierBridge

• DonBo

If your bullpen blows a game what chance do you have to come back? If your starting pitcher has a rough start at least you got a couple of innings to try and come back.

First off.... I think the biggest reason folks don't like the move is because it was REPORTED that they weren't willing to part with Ramos to make the Cliff Lee deal. NO ONE knows exactly what was offered or asked for in regards to the Twins and Mariners.... Smoak from the Rangers was a much better prospect than Ramos, especially when he is barely above .200 in AAA. I'm sure they pushed hard, but weren't willing to mortgage the future. We are still built relatively well for the next 2-3 years.

Secondly, just because it is believed that Capps wasn't offered by anyone by the Nats, doesn't mean he wasn't and it doesn't mean he won't become a good closer. Johan Santana and Joakim Soria were both attained in the Rule 5 draft from their prospective clubs because their clubs didn't think they were worth protecting and those guys turned out pretty well....

Thirdly.... after one night of seeing Capps, his fastball definitely looks a lot better than anyone elses in the pen. 94-96 with some movement.... It makes the pen deeper and will allow some starters to only go 5 if need be.

None of our starters are that bad that they can't keep us in it and with our lineup right now, a mediocre start is enough to get it done a lot of nights.

You are right as usual JWM, so I guess the BP won't matter unless you also have enough offensive firepower to overcome that 5 run deficit.

Now if you don't have the SP or the firepower you are like me...a Cub fan.

Good comments, Coach. I thought the Twins had offered a package - including Ramos - to the Mariners for Cliff Lee. Wasn't enough. Look at what the M's got for Lee (Justin Smoak), and then the package of prospects the Phils gave up to get Oswalt. Starting pitching was/is a lot more expensive than what Ramos would bring. And I don't think the Twins were willing to package Ramos and Hicks/Revere together in a deal.

nice job tonight capps... everyone on here was right... you are a godsend and the savior of our bullpen

Actually he is and the trade for him was probably better than one for a starter.

Nice try on blaming Capps for Delmontys little league play in the 9th.

so capps IS a godsend and the savior of our bullpen? your startin to sound like the person in your avitar. i didnt see the game nor delmons play your talking about, but i did see he blew a save.

true,, Capps blew the save. But he didn't implode,, like so many closers do once the game is tied. He buckled down and got the Twins into extra innings which is all you've got once the lead is gone. I found it odd that Tatoo boy didn't replace Guerrier in the bottom of the 13th???

true,, Capps blew the save. But he didn't implode,, like so many closers do once the game is tied. He buckled down and got the Twins into extra innings which is all you've got once the lead is gone. I found it odd that Tatoo boy didn't replace Guerrier in the bottom of the 13th???

Rauch was in his hotel room watching the game with some sort of allergic reaction.

delmon gave up that run in the 9th not capps. total and complete misplay. bad jump, bad route, and bad execution of a sliding catch.

One cannot catch them all. Delmon has had a few plays that maybe he should have made but his bat has made up for close to all of them.

The Twins will have these plays just like any other team. There is not one team that does not make mistakes and the Twins are one of the best in regards to errors.

In regards to Capps, no one is perfect.

I thought he kept his cool as well after the missed play in left field. Even though missed plays are part of the game, I bet he was steaming.

I thought I heard tattoo boy wasn't even in the stadium, sick or something.

Rausch had an allergic reaction prior to the game and went back to the hotel???

He was unavailable.

CApps gets credit for the blown save but Delmon not making the catch in left Field was a cause. That being said, closers get credit for saves when guys make great plays and so they get credit for blowing saves the same way. I still Like Capps over Rausch closing games.

It doesn't matter if he blows every save which he won't of course when you pick up a live arm like Capps your team is immediately or immensely better which is the case.

Does anybody have the Twins starting staff stats over the last 14 games by any chance?

more then anything Baker last night pitching holy cow thats the guy we have missed most of the year

Does anybody have the Twins starting staff stats over the last 14 games by any chance?

oh you mean in the stretch where we played the 4 worst teams in the league (w/ the exception of the games against the rays)? i sure hope our pitchers would be able to pad their stats a little bit when we have a stretch where we play the 4 worst teams in the league.

Alright Debbie Downer, I mean JW, if you are so discusted with the Twins, maybe you should get behind a different team. Seems as if you have only bad things to say about the squad. OR maybe you are really a SOX fan just trying to get under everyone's skin, if so, its working.

Another solid performance by a starter today, and Capps came in for the bailout when no one else could. Like I said a while back, we will just have to hope our starters heat up...LIKE EVERY YEAR. Baseball is a long season, and people lose thier minds when players are slumping. The Twins seem to find a way to make a run at the playoffs every year, and usually it is due to our pitchers going on a run. Just have some faith.

well said they split with one of the best teams in baseball im pretty happy, we just need the sux to start losing a few like the tigers

Alright Debbie Downer, I mean JW, if you are so discusted with the Twins, maybe you should get behind a different team. Seems as if you have only bad things to say about the squad. OR maybe you are really a SOX fan just trying to get under everyone's skin, if so, its working.

Another solid performance by a starter today, and Capps came in for the bailout when no one else could. Like I said a while back, we will just have to hope our starters heat up...LIKE EVERY YEAR. Baseball is a long season, and people lose thier minds when players are slumping. The Twins seem to find a way to make a run at the playoffs every year, and usually it is due to our pitchers going on a run. Just have some faith.

i am not disgusted with the twins. i am a huge twins fan.. i just laugh at how people are so fickle on these boards... cuddyer lovers one minute, then come a slump they are practically begging to release him.... people hated delmon every second he was in a twins uniform, begging to get rid of him.. all of a sudden he has a good year and everyone complains about where delmon is in the batting order and complain about everything possible surrounding delmon... people (rightfully so) knock on our pitchers for basically playing like minor leaguers for a couple months (except for pavano and liriano) and then they pitch well for a start or two and everybody is starting to praise them (nothing wrong with that) and then focus their frustrations on our bullpen. im never the one being the debbie downer on the twins, im always the one defending the person/part of the team that 95% of the people on this website bash. joe mauer for example again.. has the best offensive year for a catcher in history last year and then all of a sudden he is only batting 317/388/470 (this year) and everyone is practically burning him at the stakes and saying how overpaid he is. people fault him and any night he doesnt go 3 for 5 with a HR, people complain about paying him too much money, when those same people would be putting the "lebron james hate" on joe if he wouldn't have signed that contract with us and ended up playing in NY. its like nothing can ever be done to please some twins fans... if we have a good player, he isnt playing good enough.. if we trade for someone and he doesnt perform well, it was the worst trade ever and we should get rid of that guy. if we sign a player to a big contract, it was too big of a contract and the player is getting paid too much money. if we get a new stadium, well dam mit they should have put a roof on it. we trade for a closer and replace rauch with a guy who has identical numbers (both this season and career) and all of a sudden our bullpen was needing this big arm and its the best thing to ever happen. ill be the first to admit that selling as low as we did on ramos was a huge mistake, and although you can always use another good arm in the bullpen, we didnt address our needs for a SP. the twins bullpen has the 2nd lowest ERA in the league, and you guys go and burn them at the stakes after they have a poor outing or two. while at the same time our starting rotation ERA is near the bottom of the league, and our starters manage to put together 1 or 2 good games in a row against the worst 4 teams in the league and holy [PoorWordUsage], our starters have really turned things around and are back on track...

its just funny how short of a memory some twins fans can have

JW.... if Twins fans weren't fickle and didn't have short memories and didn't panic all the time and rant about this or that......

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE TO WRITE ABOUT ALL DAY???? grin

JW.... if Twins fans weren't fickle and didn't have short memories and didn't panic all the time and rant about this or that......

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE TO WRITE ABOUT ALL DAY???? grin

i guess thats a good thing we will never have to worry about... eh coach? i'll always be happy to correct you and other twins fan's misguided/uninformed ways of jumping to ridiculous conclusions based on subjective theory and irrelevant ideas

I think I am more surprised about how much people that are typing on a fishing website know about the Twins then the Twins themselves. Give them [PoorWordUsage] about winning 8 in a row(while it was against inferior teams)...So what? A win is a win in MLB. You discredit them dominating on the road like they did, then turn around and jump down peoples throats for praising the team? The Twins are 15-6 since the All-Star break...That is pretty darn good in my eyes. I could care less where the wins came from, they are racking them up and only behind the Sux by 1.5 games. They have one of the better records in baseball. They are near 13 games over .500(61-48). I could care less what anyone says about this team, I love em! GO TWINS!

I think I am more surprised about how much people that are typing on a fishing website know about the Twins then the Twins themselves. Give them [PoorWordUsage] about winning 8 in a row(while it was against inferior teams)...So what? A win is a win in MLB. You discredit them dominating on the road like they did, then turn around and jump down peoples throats for praising the team? The Twins are 15-6 since the All-Star break...That is pretty darn good in my eyes. I could care less where the wins came from, they are racking them up and only behind the Sux by 1.5 games. They have one of the better records in baseball. They are near 13 games over .500(61-48). I could care less what anyone says about this team, I love em! GO TWINS!

"I think I am more surprised about how much people that are typing on a fishing website know about the Twins then the Twins themselves."

I know, isn't it funny how we all think we are ESPN anaylists or something. There must be a lot of other guys out there that having boring jobs like me and spend way too much time checking thier Twins/fantasy baseball stats! At least I'm not the only one!

I'll give it to ya JW, you do the research and support your talk with some good stats. And I'm also with you on the fact that I would have REALLY liked to see us add another starter. I truly think adding a rent-a-player like Lee/Oswalt would be the key to going deep in the playoffs for this team. No offense, but I don’t think adding another guy like Lilly/Meyers is goona get it done. Going up against the rotations of Tampa (I realize we just had our guys beat two of their studs) or the Yanks, we need a superstar that can get it done in the clutch. We had it with Radke/Santana, but at that time we couldn’t score any dang runs! I love the fact that we are in the playoff hunt every year, but I would gladly give that up for one good year where we take it to the house. Just like the Vikes the window of opportunity wont stay open forever, we need a title here!

• 2 weeks later...

Based on Capp's performance so far, I'm not seeing him as a huge upgrade over Rauch. I sure ure am glad to have him here though especially with Mijares out for a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure Mijaris will not be back this season. I just has surgery on a torn miniscus and it took almost a year to fully heal, it's still not near 100%.

Based on Capp's performance so far, I'm not seeing him as a huge upgrade over Rauch. I sure ure am glad to have him here though especially with Mijares out for a few weeks.

thats exactly what i have been saying ever since the trade happened... it is nice to add a good arm to our bullpen, but he isn't very much better than rauch, if at all