• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Side note. Those are not fish tacos. Missing seasoned sour cream, cabbage, cilantro, black beans, pico, and jalapeños, just saying.....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slab_Supper

• Rubber Ducky

• skip across

• TruthWalleyes

I would say winter is the worst when it comes to giving out good info online, way too many people have too much time on their hands, wheel-houses, and electronics that's put fish on the ice

I find it quite the opposite. Hmm...maybe it is just my approach that can turn other fellas off the ice faster than they got on. Pardon my sarcasm, skarupa. If the lake's smokin' hot, people come runnin' and gunnin' for the fish we work hard for. However, it is up to us to beat them by having a back-up game plan and still catch fish while others go belly up and quit fishin'.

And man is it cold out there when the wind is blowing and your hands are cold from catching fish, like ice fishing without the shelter!

Isn't a good practice to be readily prepared to icefish hard come hard water season? I must admit--my hat is off to you for beating me at the game we call fishin' right now. Being almost a full-time college student doesn't come easy.

See that's what I'm talking about!!!! I know were you fish too! LOL

Rubber, you admit with your own admission in which you are sneaker than what you appear to be. Guess I gotta keep my eyes out for ya. Ha, ha!

Got out there again on Tuesday. That NW wind was a bit brisk, but still managed to get one 24 incher. I didn't see any other boats out there.

TurkeyBoy,

You hit the nail on the head! But if you knew me, then you would except me for me!

LMAO!!!

Anyone that knows me would confirm, that I would help anyone out, its in the Blood!

Except maybe Truth, he seems to have a lot more time on the water then me!

Oh come on, I work my 40hrs (Minus whatever vacation i can take)...But, beyond that, i keep my schedule pretty open for fishing. Fishing is my stress reliever, and i need a lot of that.

Had the lake to myself again last night.

Didn't have a hard time finding fish, but couldn't muster up a bite. Nearly every variety and size of cranks between 1mph and 2.7mph...Nada.

Jig n Minnow i missed a few.

Bobber i missed a few.

Drank some beer and relaxed. Work had me stressed. Skunk or not it was a nice night to be on the water...If you like 35 degrees and wind LOL.

Water temp 44 - Cannon Lake.

Can anyone help a brother out, on how to post pictures????

CLick the brown object with a blue arrow (5th button from the left)

Truth, I live on cannon and that is the toughest lake around to catch eyes from a boat, not sure why but I have never had good success out there

Truth, I live on cannon and that is the toughest lake around to catch eyes from a boat, not sure why but I have never had good success out there

Are you serious? I envy you for living on Cannon. Admittedly, It is my favorite lake. Leave your boat at home come spring and fall. Those fish ain't too far away from the shore. My son and I nailed a nice northern last weekend within an half-hour upon our arrival. Then caught and released perch and walleyes rest of the evening. However, we have seen some fishermen hauling 24-28" walleyes--1/4 oz jig head with 4" grubs or ringworms were pretty much the norm.

TurkeyBoy,

You hit the nail on the head! But if you knew me, then you would except me for me!

LMAO!!!

Anyone that knows me would confirm, that I would help anyone out, its in the Blood!

Oh, shoot!!! For the sake of a wide-open discussion, I got my butt busted. (SMH). I must extend my handshake and call it a done deal. I am in the same boat as much as you are--wanting to see fishermen's frowns turn upside down like a bunch of lil' boys. Heck, I hope to cross your path and gladly fish alongside ya, sir.

I'll agree with fishing close to shore on Cannon. Often i run a planer board to put a crank or bottom bouncer within a few feet of shore. Pitch jigs to shore, etc... wink

I always read that the Canon chain of lakes has its share of Catfish. I have never caught one. Last spring right before the the spawn I found the Bullheads staging. There was another fishermen with his buddy fishing in the area. I remember one of them talking about the Bullhead he just caught " it's one of the good kind, all white meat " he was saying. He was very proud of it. I told him it sounds like a Catfish to me.

Yes Walleyes shallow in the shade of the trees in the AM or should I say east-south east side of the lakes. I use a long rod holding the tip high (because of the shallow water) and zigzag so the lure runs outside of the prop wash as much as possible. Most bites come on the inside rod.

Not sure when this became a Cannon discussion, but since it is I gotta get in my 2 cents. I have always had good luck with walleyes working the structure right out in the middle of the lake. I was planning on heading out there monday morning to catch my lunch (and hopefully a few pigs to release).

I found something on that structure earlier this week. Couldn't identify it. Got multiple scans with my si . maybe a boat lift also looks like a possible crib. If you head straight out from the landing to the gap between the reefs the interesting structure is north of the left hand reef on the far East point of that reef...

Pull a crank over it your surly to lose it as it sticks of the bottom a few feet and is several feet wide.

I always get a little surly when I lose a crank... I will have to check that out, and talk smart about it with the fellas over a six pack.

Quote:
Not sure when this became a Cannon discussion, but since it is I gotta get in my 2 cents. I have always had good luck with walleyes working the structure right out in the middle of the lake. I was planning on heading out there monday morning to catch my lunch (and hopefully a few pigs to release).

Let see, oh yea Sabre lake is part of the Cannon river, up stream of Tetonka. It is right next to the Landing, you can't miss it.

Oh, two Cannon rivers feed into Sabre. The little Cannon comes into the lake on the NE end of the lake.

How deep is the water at the end of the dock right now 8" ? I guess not. They are all in now.

Well I went out on cannon today and I did catch lunch and a few more. I found walleyes in about 12 feet just off the west end of the center lake structure. I did go take a look at that thing you were describing, and I too will go with crib.

Got out to Sabes for one last kitty run! Did exceptionally well on the pickled eggs again! Them cats must be all schooled up cuz I warehoused 6 of em in an hour and a half. Great last outing with my cousin. Can't wait til we are yanking them through the ice! See ya guys out there this winter!!!

I recently tried using eggs (as crazy as it sounds) out on Sabre. While nothing in the boat, I did have a couple hits. They seem to work better than anything I've been trying lately.

I guess its not too late for an old fart like myself to learn new tricks.

Have fun and stay safe out there!

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to heading out to Sabes this weekend with my cousin to catch some monster kitties. I got a fresh batch of pickled eggs and my rod and tip up rigged and ready with fresh line. The ice is shaping up great!

This pickled egg thing has to be a joke...right? Cut suckers or shiners is worse than eggs?..I just don't believe this. Someone post a pic of yolk on some kitty lips.