• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2010-2011 Gophers

Scott M

Great second half for the Gophers as they pull away 95-77. Sampson goes 9 of 13 for 22 with 8 boards, Mbakwe 8 of 9 for an 18/10. Rodney chips in 17 and 7. Mbakwe and Sampson just rolled over Western Kentucky. Rodney Williams did a nice job hitting open shots and attacking the basket. Hoffarber again paces the team in passing with 9 assists. 16 for Hoff and 12 for Nolen.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night versus North Carolina. It's a tough matchup but I don't think either team will blow the other out. Minnesota's size ought to be able to slow North Carolina's youthful but athletic bigs, including Harrison Barnes.

Unfortunately early season nonconference neutral court victories have been the high water mark for the Gophers for the last two years. In 2008 the Gophers beat Louisville (overall #1 seed in tournament) and in 2009 Butler (last year's National runner up). But this year there is still room for growth. The gophers looked really tough tonight but they still need to work in Joseph, rebound better, and make foul shots, to name a few things. Their half court offense looked good, but better defensive teams won't give them the space to operate or the time and lack of a double team to let Sampson sky hook in the lane at will. The key each year with Tubby is to make progress so hopefully the Gophers are doing that this year...last year's distractions seemed to cause the team to spin its wheels in a year in which they should have won some more games and advanced in the tournament. Still, this front court really lets you dream about making a deep run, and if the freshman reserve guards can contribute this is going to be a tough team with a great inside out game, athleticism, and tough defenders.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• CJH

• Dotch

• CodyDawg

Top Posters In This Topic

Sampson was very good but I agree that he will likely not have it that easy inside against UNC. Same story going into BigTen play.

Mbakwe. What needs to be said? Dude is beast.

I have been critical of Rodney so far this year and I still question why he is a starter, but he was a big contributer last night. He still made some awful mistakes with the ball, he needs to clean that up asap if he still wants to get minutes when Joseph gets back. The freshmen came in and made the same kinds of mistakes as well, can't have that kind of stuff going forward as the half court offense looked bad when no one was moving.

Nervously excited to see what happens tonight against UNC. My gut says they lose by double digits. My heart says they pull out an upset win. My head is hoping that they can just keep it close and make this game look good on a resume come March. No matter what happens, they need to clean up the turnovers, half court offense, and FREE THROW SHOOTING to have a chance against good teams like UNC. Should be a fun matchup!

Gophs sure looked good tonigth against UNC. We controlled the game most of the way. In all honesty, we looked like the better team. Better players, etc.

I really don't think Carolina is a top 10 type team, but we will let the year play out and see what happens.

Any way you slice it, a great win. This could be a heck of an exciting season. Gotta love that.

PS Mbakwe is a man among boys out there. He sure looks like a topnotch player and Nolen was great tonite too.

Great win and the team played and looked like they knew they were the better team. No hand wringing and playing timid and hugging after the win...they played like they expected to win and know they have a long ways to go to be where they need to be.

Great work by the whole team. They hit the free throws down the stretch and took better care of the basketball in the second half and notched the win. Would like to see them work on their lob passes...3 turnovers on those and no buckets.

Devoe will take this team one notch higher if they can get him back on the court. Looking forward to Sunday night.

That 2nd half was right on. Big hoop after big hoop. Hoffarber and Nolen both had cold blooded 3's at different times when NC had closed in. And just when you hadnt heard from Rodney Williams he throws a few big hoops in. I had no idea Mbakwe was that kind of force. That kind of athleticsm built into that brick sh*thouse of a body will be a nice addition this season.

Mbakwe- That's the first time I've seen him play. I know it's just a glimpse, but wow, I don't think the Gophs have ever had a player like that.

It's a great victory, anytime you can beat one of what I consider the Big Four.

Duke

Kansas

North Carolina

Kentucky

It may say North Carolina on their jersey, but they ain't the Carolina were accustomed to.

In fact, they're losing to mighty Vanderbilt right now....

Get'm while they're down I guess if it makes you feel good.

NC lost, and the Gophers take a one point lead into half time..... Gotta say I think this team will be the one Minnesota team to watch this winter! Football is all but done IMO! Wolves are more exciting, but this Gophers team has talent and hopefully they can compete with the rest of the Very good Big 10!

Great Game for the gophers and a nice tourney! Finish it off by winning 74-70! Hope we can produce these types of results in March!

Another big win for the Gophers. With this one they will creep into the Top 25. Nolen was the X factor in playing great defense once they switched him onto Casey Mitchell and on offense he was able to get into the lane and draw fouls. He shot 11 of 12 on free throws...that patience at the line translated to the whole team. I felt the officials really took away the flow of the game with all foul calls, but it benefited the Gophers as they shot fairly well from the line tonight. Hoffarber was very patient with the ball and was able to get some looks in the second half off ball screens and overloads against the zone. His shot from the corner that gave Minnesota the 3 point lead was a dagger. Mbakwe was a manchild again, with 16 points, a pile of rebounds and 6 of 7 on free throws. Colt 45 was aggressive with 15 points and 8 rebounds inside. The team got little from Rodney Williams and Sampson, but they showed why they play such a deep bench and got a little from everyone. I thought we were in trouble when the line change came halfway into the first half and the freshmen took the floor, but they took care of the basketball and actually played pretty well. This will pay off down the road in the conference and later in the spring.

The thing that gets me excited about this tournament was watching the patience and maturity the team showed. They had composure all game and tournament long against some tough teams. That mental fortitude is going to help them win tight games, a real weakness for this team last year.

Next on the menu...fresh sliced bison!

ndsu.gif

Yup - great win. Fun to see that when Sampson couldn't followup with another great game, Iverson was able to be the difference maker. It's also great to see the young guys playing so well while the juniors/seniors are reliable.

Always good to hear they're ranked but the only ranking that counts of course is the one at the end of the season. They let it go to their heads last year but am thinking (hoping) this team is different. Looking at their schedule, there are a few creampuffs in there, but not the plethora of little sisters of the poor that was the hallmark of the Monson era. It should better prepare them for what promises to be a tough upcoming Big Ten season. Was a good weekend though capped off by Chilly getting his pink slip. All this excitement may start to cut into my nap time! grin

AP #15. Plenty of room on this bandwagon, might get some hits on the b-ball forum this winter with the Vikes a mess.

Definitely the most talented Gophers roster we have had in a while...... the depth is the thing that gets me the most... Mbakwe is a beast, Sampson seems to have improved and Iverson and Walker are some great depth with the big fellas. I have been impressed with Nolen so far, although I don't think he should be taking many jumpshots... definitely the weakest part of his game... but he has figured out how to get to the line and seems a bit better at handling the team. Hoffarber has become a great intangibles player... doing a lot of little things and stroking it when he gets room. His defense is a TON better than it used to be. Rodney may be the best athlete on the floor no matter who we play. He seems out of control at times, but if teams get in his face, he can go by anybody. All in all, I think we are just deeper and more athletic than we have been in the past. I still think we will struggle to find a lot of offense off the dribble and a lot of possessions will turn into a Big Ten grinder, but with our big fellas, I don't have a huge problem. I won't pronounce a Big Ten title as Ohio State looked REALLY good and Purdue and Michigan State aren't anything to sneeze at and I think Illinois is going to be pretty good too, but at least it looks like there will be a Minnesota sports team worth watching!!! Hopefully the Goph's can take care of business... schedule should allow for a 10-0 start!

Speaking of depth it was nice to see that some of our younger points guards not fold under the pressure with Joesph out, from the little bit that i did see on Sunday they handled themselves pretty good.

Mbakwe, continues to make me say "WOW".

Nolen, he is the reason they beat West Virginia. Without his free throw shooting and defense on 3, they lose that game big. His offense isn't pretty but he is effective when he can get to the line and he did. Literally carried the Gophers down the stretch.

Hoffarber, looked great at times but we generally solid throughout which is huge. That 'oop to Mbakwe, huge spark and nobody else on the team puts as pretty of a pass on that one.

Sampson looked good in the first two and obviously not so good against WestVa. Good to see Iverson step in and play some big minutes.

Nolen has a "foot injury" and could be out a few weeks and Williams sprained his ankle in Wednesday night's victory over NDSU.

Went to that game and the Gophers looked bored. Never really pulled way in front, but still ended up winning by 19. Hoffarber did most of the damage.

Had to chuckle when it got quiet late in the second half and the chants of "Junior College" rained down on NDSU's bench. Lots of Minnesota kids on NDSU's squad, 8 kids I believe, most of the starters.

Tomorrow night is the Big Ten - ACC challenge. Should be a good game with Virginia. Hopefully Joseph is back.

What a disgusting game from the Gophers...terrible second half. Zero work inside for most of the game, Iverson, Sampson, and Walker combine for 9 points. Mbakwe had 18 but most of those were on put backs. The Gophers really got in a hurry in the second half. They really did miss Nolen, but they had the horses to beat Virginia without him. Disappointing defense and a lack of patience on offense. If they really want to be the world beaters that some think they can be, they need to close out teams, especially at home to an unranked squad. Yuck. First loss of the season, hopefully they can learn from it.

Always good to hear they're ranked but the only ranking that counts of course is the one at the end of the season. They let it go to their heads last year but am thinking (hoping) this team is different. Looking at their schedule, there are a few creampuffs in there, but not the plethora of little sisters of the poor that was the hallmark of the Monson era. It should better prepare them for what promises to be a tough upcoming Big Ten season. Was a good weekend though capped off by Chilly getting his pink slip. All this excitement may start to cut into my nap time! grin

Hmmmm...this game looked like deja vu all over again and they didn't have Westbrook to blame for it! Joseph looked like he was rusty and pressing. The more he pressed the worse things got. Guard play overall was horrible in the second half, defense on the perimeter stunk most of the game and they missed the front end of 1 and 1's that could've kept them in it while Virginia was canning theirs. Virginia was unconscious from outside the arc. Give 'em credit and give the Gophers the "L" they deserve for lack of intelligent effort as a team. Perhaps they needed to be taken down a notch. They need to remind themselves haven't won anything yet that will get them in the tournament without continuing to win the games they should win. As da chise says, hopefully they learn from it.