• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What are your guys thoughts for friday night, do you think that waiting untill this weekend is pushing the run, my brothers went out last thursday and did okay, but I was busy this last weekend with a wedding out of state, sucks that the run had to be the same weekend that I made promises to go out of the state.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• lispeej

• BD110

• gardn184

northlander, can we chat a little bit?

shoot me your e mail at josh.pietschconstruction@ gmail . com

A question for all the experienced smelters:

This morning, my wife just finished cleaning the smelt we netted on Monday night (we had them on ice in the fridge. If you can't clean them right away I've found they'll last up to two days with this method) and informed me that of the approximately 3 gallons she cleaned, she could count the number of females on one hand.

Just curious, does this indicate the run may be over, that it has yet to begin, or nothing at all?

I can't go again until next week and am wondering if I've made my last pull of 2010...

In my experiences usually the more females you see the stronger the run and the shorter time it has left. We had quite a few females a few days ago with a lots of eggs in the bottom of buckets. Not many LARGE females though so Im guessing this weekend will be prime time. Thats if weather cooperates.

Way to windy tonight for us. Some die hards tried it but it just wasnt smart to be out in them waves.

So do you guys think there will be any running on friday night. I would live to go out o ce this year and get me some. Let me know your thoughts for friday night.

If I had to guess I would say they should be still running for this weekend. It didn't look to be that great of action for the people dipping at the Lester Wednesday evening but we had a very steep drop in temps for the previous 24hr period.

I plan on giving it a try tonight and Friday if the winds allow on the point.

Do the northern streams around Grand Marais see a smelt run as well?

I believe they do. I don't have first hand knowledge but I believe that the same question has been asked and answered in the past. Feel free to check back through all of the pages on this thread if you haven't already done so. If not I'm sure someone will come up with an answer for you.

Thats good. Had a buddy go out on tues night and said they didnt get anything but i think they were just dipping on the lester

Glad to hear the report!!

I'm guessing you got a workout to boot. Any water over the waders in 35 degree weather to report as well?

That sure makes the next couple of day still sound possible as far as the run goes.

Thanks again for the report!!

Im looking at a new dip net, would an expandable be ok or go for the long wooden handle, any opinions?

Both are ok but I prefer the wood ones. The alum ones seem to crack and then break too easy. I always wound up putting a wooden dowling in my alum ones anyways because they all cracked after a while.

Im betting this weekend will be prime time or close to it but the point will be very busy. Get there early.

Im guessing WI. point has to be still getting some smelt as well. Anyone have any up to date info on that?

Looks like maybe rain for the weekend????

I have never had luck smelting in the rain. What about you guys? I may come up this weekend as well.

My report for last night (Thursday) is poor. The conditions were not that bad but they were not pleasant to say the least. I was down the shore several blocks from the tot lot and the numbers were very low. By the time we called it quits and carried the net to the truck a thin layer of ice was forming on anything that was wet. Hopefully things will warm up for today and this weekend.

Anyone planning on heading out this evening?

Has anybody been able to find a wood handled smelt net for sale in any of the sporting good stores around Duluth?

Nope. Only alum ones and I think thats about all you will get. You can cut the alum off about 8" above the net and put a old push broom handle in it or get some dowling from Menards.

Has anybody been able to find a wood handled smelt net for sale in any of the sporting good stores around Duluth?

I used to buy mine at the local ICO gas station in duluth. I have checked, and they no longer sell them. Must be different managements or something now.

My report for last night (Thursday) is poor. The conditions were not that bad but they were not pleasant to say the least. I was down the shore several blocks from the tot lot and the numbers were very low. By the time we called it quits and carried the net to the truck a thin layer of ice was forming on anything that was wet. Hopefully things will warm up for today and this weekend.

Anyone planning on heading out this evening?

I would love to come out, but am still trying to get more guys to come up with me. Gas is cheaper when we all chip in. We'll have to see for now.

I use the closet poles that are six feet long from Menards for my nets and they work great! Yesterday was bad at the Point. No luck. Hopefully this weekend will be beter

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

SE wind now and for tonight.

If your thinking about smelt stop thinking and get out there.

Just plan on being there till at least midnight.

6' poles are perfect.

well guys, i think it may be over. we came up friday night, went to wisconsin point. there were a lot of people but no one was catching anything but weeds and clear minnows and shiners. we caught about one smelt. the water level was lower than last saturday when we came, people were actually catching a lot last weekend. i also heard during the week after that fast weather drop that people got a lot. we were there until 2pm today, the waves were already hitting hard by the lester river. we just fished the whole morning and came home. last night there were a lot of people on the lester river, but they were only getting a few here and there. we got two, and stayed til 1 because we were at wisconsin point the whole night hoping it would pick up by 10:30 but nothing happend. so yeap, its sad that its over. the weather did warm up pretty fast this year. last year around this time it was just starting.

Yep, couldn't catch a half dozen on PPoint or Tot Lot/ bridge area on Friday night. Randy ( CO ) stoped to talk with us & check us out, he said it looked over for the year.

Thanks to the guys from Barnum who let me hook up & pull their short net, The 25 footer was a bear to handle.

Later -CLoma

Midcoast, just go to google.com and use the map. type in wisconsin point and it should show you the area. its just across park point when you look on the map.

Make sure you have a Wi. License if you go to Wi. Point KLee.

I dont think its done but it could be. There really was only 2 to maybe 4 half way decent nights. 2 were ok and 2 were real good. Then we got poor weather.

I think we need some better conditions and if we get them this next 4 days or so we could still get some smelt. If we dont get some smelting weather the next 4 days its over.

Yeap Northlander, I always make sure I have a fishing liscense whenever I'm fishing out of state. I hope its not over so fast, I would like to get a few good pulls.