• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks for the late night report Load...

People will not find a better 1st hand report then that I would think.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• lispeej

• BD110

• gardn184

We were also down there last night, managed 4 very small smelt by the bridge and nothing at all down by the airport. One plus was I found the leak in my waders so I think I've got that all patched up now. Hopefully picks up later this week. Will hopefully be heading down for a test pull everynight this week so I'll try to keep you all posted.

I stopped down to the Tot lot just after 9:00pm tonight. It didn't look like it would be possible to check on smelt this evening. The seas were on the rough side.

Thanks for the late night report Load...

People will not find a better 1st hand report then that I would think.

X2

Gonna try to get down and take a couple pulls again tonight, looked at the DNR website today and if I read it right about a week ago they predicted 3-5 weeks for the smelt run. I hope they're wrong because I'm gonna be pulling a lot of water for nothing otherwise.

There is a few in the Lester today and the water temp was 48 degrease this after noon. I saw the ones being caught by hook line and sinker. So it will not be long with temps like this.

so are we thinking that it's a good chance that they might run sometime this week? As of now, I'm planning on heading to the lester and other areas later this week.

how do you catch them on hook and line, i want to try. what would presentation be and where can i fish?

I hear lake superior was nice and calm today. Any luck seeing smelts on sonars/fish finders?

They were stacked up big time in 40' of water in front of the cheesey entry yesterday and today. Lost 3 degrees over night though. Yesterday I found 40 degrees and today it was only 37. I say at least a week.

We need a light wind out of the east and a warm rain and it will happen, "Pray for that warm rain"

was out last night with tearing lips and a couple others, we only pullled in two smelt at park point. The one was a female and the other a small male. Waders still leak anyone have a suggestion, they're lacrosse with the protective material over the neoprene. Its a small hole and I tried shoe gooo and super glu

Too windy and cold for tonight. The run hasnt started in Ashland and we are usually a week or 2 behind them.

i heard the run has started in ashlund but slow some one had 1/2 to a full pail by the end of the night

hoping they start soon. have next week off. after that I have to work three weeks straight.

Saw a lot of smelt as shallow as 12' today on the cheesey side.

NO.

Yeah.

That's what I thought also. I will be out tonight trying to smelt.

Anyone else coming out?

Unless the wind dies it will be a no go. It was building and we got blown off earlier today.

I'm up for the challenge.

Heading out now. Hope to see some of you guys.

Will report any findings in the morning.

-PL

Was out last night at the lester river, but got there a little late. Some folks caught smelt, but they were trickling in very slow. Amazingly enough, there were about only half a dozen people smelting. I would have to say altogether, about 4 gallons worth of smelt was caught between everyone. The wind wasn't too bad, and the water level this years so far seems a little low.

I heard some guys talking about park point producing good numbers but they also mentioned that the waves/currents were big.

With the potential warm weather rolling in, I must say that it should only help with the smelting running.

Good luck folks. Please post any of your finding as well.

Who is going tonight? Ill toss the Christiansen in the truck but I dont get off work til 11pm. The wind should be much more doable tonight.

I wont make it out smelting until later this week. I'll probably be out Thursday night at the earliest.

Northlander:

Are you planning on going out to park point?

Ya if there is someone there after work.

Good luck.

Sounds good.

I wish I could come out tonight, but doesn't look too good right now. Will have to wait and hear all of your guys' reports.

-PL

Nothing on the MN. point last night that I saw. Smelt are all over Wi. point though.

we didn't get any by the lift bridge last night but the guys who left before us had about a half a 5 gallon pail full.