• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Lake Fishing Reports

I have the same questions with regards to the new slot increasing the size structure of the walleyes in B-S. I have fished the lake for 10 years now and only once have I seen multiple fish over 20" caught in a weekend. Not to mention the cabin owners that I stay with have been fishing the lake since the 60's and they had only seen a handfull of walleyes over 20". I don't know how much the new slot will help grow much bigger walleyes. For some biological reason the walleyes don't get big in B-S. There is plenty of food for them or so it seems. Maybe too many small walleyes? Stunted? Time will tell. Maybe I will dig into the lake chemistry a little.

Our group caught 50 walleyes. Only 5 keepers. Nothing over 15". Couple crappies, northerns, sucker, tullibee, sm bass, perch.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• lispeej

• Born2Fish

• Crappie2760

Has anyone ever had any luck using smaller crank baits for Walleyes on Big Sandy? Any consistency to this method?

They work really well this early in the season on the shallow rock points 4 to 8 feet.

Thanks I was curious as I usually fish for smallmouth and crappies but may attempt to throw some crank baits as well for pike and walleye. I've tried trolling lindy rigs on big sandy many times and never get a bite....

The Eye picked up just a bit this past weekend. Again not many big fish caught but we did manage a few in the box. Vertical and dragging jigs tipped with leeches worked well in the 6' range.

Oh and the Crappie action has picked up a bit with water temps ranging from 58 to 63... wink I landed quite a few on The Jig "naked" but the meat crowd was getting bigger fish on there presentation.

Are the crappies still in the rivers or are they out in the main lake suspended now? They are tricky to locate without any electronics. Any luck for walleye in bellhorn bay? Or were they out around the rock pile/bouy in the main body of the lake? Im curious because I've heard both so far. I'm sure there will be lots of boat traffic this weekend...hopefully more fishing boats than annoying fat tubing/skiing boats! Good luck this weekend all!

I saw a gar last fall on big sandy near the prairie river and prairie river bridge but thats it...I'm heading up to aitkin lake Saturday or Sunday to see what's biting and possibly up that prairie river!

Yes, there are Crappies in the River's still and a few other locations in the main lake that we've found, best luck was shallow 5' or less but we did hit a few in 12'. We did try Bill Horn initially for slabs but didn't locate any at that time. I've never had much luck with Eye's in Bill Horn other than the once in a blue moon ice-fishing outing.

Good luck to you too!

If you can find 60 degree water or warmer you could maybe find pan fish in 3-6 fow.2011openwater010.jpg

2011openwater066.jpg

2010-2011promoonice1057.jpg

Wow nice crappie pictures! Hopefully that will be the scene this weekend as well!

Report is a little late but 3 guys caught 41 walleyes opening weekend. Kept 1 that went 15".

We caught a few walleye this weekend. Only was a keeper...16". But we actually caught enough to have a good time. I think I like the new slot on BSL along with only being able to keep 5 bluegill. Might not have many to keep for now, but hopefully we will eventually.

trolling lindys is normally how we get them in the mid to late summer. Last year we caught our share trolling lindys in 10-15 feet of water. Been seeing quite a few guys out this year already using them. Though haven't seen much for bent rods just yet! Lots of snake northern being caught too.

With the long weekend at hand Doug and I were off to Aitkin Co for a little crappie action. We made it up early Friday morning and got checked into our hotel room and were on the lake by 10am. Having knowing the lake pretty well we knew right about where the crappies would be staging at this point in the season. What we were looking for was a shallow area near some deeper water. We set up in about 9 to 10 FOW and were casting into about 6 to 7. Right away the first spot was producing fish. The action was pretty steady until about 12 when the action slowed. So we fired up the grill and put on some brats. After we ate we gave it about 1 more hour and around 2 we went in search to a different spot with the same structure. Again setting up into about 10 FOW and this time casting in more of 5 to 6 FOW. Sure thing the crappies were in there thick. It was constant action with a few Gills mixed in also. We were there for about 2 hours and as quick as we caught them they slid right out.

Saturday brought great hopes with the Friday action. We set up in the same spot in the morning with good action for about 2 hours then it slowing. So after the action slowed we were in search for fish. Went to the same second spot with no bites. The search continued with many stops along the way only to lead us back to our original spot to grind it out. With slow action we did manage to pick off fish threw the day but nothing very fast.

Sunday brought some better hopes than the results of the previous day. Again we setup in our first initial spot with good action but again only lasting for about 2 hours. So in search again we went off into some outlets on the lake looking for similar structure but mainly warmer water. We found many spots along the way. The first bay we stopped at was full of hammer handle pike. Boy was that a blast. The next few bays we found some really nice Bull Gills. With Sunday being our last day we were not going to stay on the water long but with all the fishing action we were having it was hard to leave the lake. Pulling the plug around 6 we made our way back to the landing with a great trip in the books.

We found a lot of different water temps. Friday being anywhere from 58 to 62 with the same on Saturday. Sunday we found 62 to about 64.5. It was definitely about finding warmer water and sun shine. Every time the sky clouded up the action slowed. Small baits and finesse tactics were also the key to our success.

full-25002-9318-imag0595.jpg

full-25002-9319-imag0600.jpg

full-25002-9320-imag0604.jpg

Here is the video we also put together from the weekend.

http://hsoshow.com/video/540/Memorial-weekend-panfish

Chris,

Nice job on our weekend! I had alot of fun and look forward to doing it again real soon!

We were up for the weekend and absolutely slaughtered the walleyes! We caught around 40 or so and kept 8. We fished in about 7-10 feet of water just using slip bobbers and leeches. Our biggest fish of the weekend was a hair over 29". It was the biggest walleye I have ever seen come out of that lake. Lots of fish under the slot, none over 18" other than the 29"er.

Ha, I love it. Watch out, some are very protective of that lake.

It's okay. I know just how protective they are. We have a cabin on the lake and know a lot of people up there. With the slot they have on the lake, it should make for people not being able to keep many of the walleye anyway. Most are under the slot, with only a few running over it. And I am really liking the 5 gill limit that is on there this year too. It should make the bulls huge!

Nobody's ever been protective of the Walleys on BSL. Crappies and gils rightfully so IMO.

That is very true. And honestly, the people up on BSL are all, for the most part, very nice people willing to share a lot of information. And I can understand them wanting to keep a FEW secrets about the lake. I am very happy for the slots they applied this year. It should make for some big fish in a few years. Heck, there are already some pig gills up there if you can find them.

That is great, can you give any advice as to what structure you are looking for? We bought a cabin up there recently and I have really struggled finding walleye. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Well right now we have found them right off our dock. But I know a few guys that are looking for sharp breaks. I don't think it will be too awfully long and most will start going a little deeper (10-15 feet). We had fairly good luck last year trolling lindys in about 15 feet of water. There are a few rock piles out in a little deeper water (most are marked by buoys), that I have seen a few come out of. The big one came right off a point in roughly 10 feet of water. Leeches seem to be the ticket.

I appreciate the advice, I am going to be heading back up this weekend after taking this last one off. Hope to get in to some.

This past weekend was great fishing. I caught an 18 inch smallmouth, 11 walleye and lot of perch!! One crappie and a lot of pike as well. Can't wait for 5 days of fishing over the 4th of July weekend!

You and every jet ski and water skier from 612. cry

You and every jet ski and water skier from 612. cry

It's 612-er to you sir... grin

That is why you just gotta get up earlier and get out before all the ruckus starts! I do agree, the lake will probably be full of them for the 4th weekend. We hope to possibly start getting in on the crappies here soon. Plus I think the gills will start turning on any time now.

The crappies were definitely on this past weekend, my nephew and I caught over 20 in about 2 hours of fishing. Get out early!

Pier I see you resemble my remark. wink Thats ok someone has to live down in the steel and cement. better you than me though. I get lost almost every time I try to drive around down there. grin