• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Lake Fishing Reports

CAn anyone tell me where the bait shops are on big sandy, how to access bill horn bay and where I can pick up some hair jigs? I'm at the resort right now and it seems no one can get me any leads! Thanks!

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• lispeej

• Born2Fish

• Crappie2760

Any recent reports for Big Sandy tullies, or any reports for crappies, sunfish, or perch?

Tough day for me. Got stuck this morning with my full size suv, took almost 2 hours to get the my suv out. Spent more time trying to find a access as I've never been on this lake. Marked some fish but had no takers on slips, jiggin waxies, and euros. Had to pull some tricks out of the hat, WI style to hook up with some slabs. (thank goodness for it!) In a total of 3 hours total of fishing managed 2 slabs for pannies. Half a day left tomorrow, hoping to get into some fish! Not sure where to start. Hoping to still get on to tullies before I leave.

email me [email protected]

I need your name so I can call you at the lodge.

The bait shop is on 65 just south after you take a left on 65.

i need a couple of the jigs too.

can you call me as well when i'm up there?

Diggn7....nice chattin this morning...hope you got unstuck and onto that waypoint.

I'm hoping your gal catches one of those hog tullies!

Nice to have met you Diggn7...get yourself a good 2" jerk strap...LOL

That snow was a lot deeper out there than I thought it was,but it was fun plowing through it with the Expedition.

After I pulled you out I ran into a gal all by herself stuck up at Fisherman's.

Well I stopped to get her out too.

I hope that trail I packed down for you helped you get off the lake ok.

Give me a shout next time you come up.

thanks once again for all your help and your kindness, if your ever around my neck of the woods give me a holler and well have go chase some hog of a slabs! Without your help I'd probably be stuck out there. You are by far one of the coolest and nicest individuals I've ever met, and especially for being a legend in my book! Hopefully someday I'll get to fish with you so you could show me a thing or 2.

The jigs were money! The ol lady almost out fished me today. lol The bite was slow and most were smaller but sure is a lot of fun but sure was fun. for 2 days of fishing and about 8 hours total of fishing, it wasnt to bad. Yes I'll get me a new jerk strap! Lol..

The trip off the lake sure was tough, I missed the turn and got stuck again. Took about an hour to get off the ice! Another special thanks to a local name Zack for helping me get off the ice. The snow on the lake is unbelievable! So use to pull people out of the snow it's the first time I've been stuck like this, made for one frustrating day.

I'll have to take you up on that some day so let's stay in touch.

Sorry to hear you got stuck coming off.I really tried to leave you a somewhat packed trail.

Also good to hear your gal caught some fish.I knew it would be tough out there for you.It has been at least....those 100th oz hair jigs will normally drag in a few.

Take Care!

I found a local bait shop that sells fresh water shrimp and mayfly larvae. I believe these mayfly larvae are the same things that the tullies eat.

Was up there sunday, ice was about two ft plus lots of snow. No 4x4 don't go. Ended up catchin two tulibees n one crappie n a perch, fishin was slow.

I wonder what full size suv diggin7 was driving? How he managed to get stuck. Is there really that much snow?

There is lots of snow on the lake. We were up there this weekend also and used the snowmobiles the whole weekend. We fished out in Bill Horn and caught nothing. Had a few hits on the tip ups but missed them both. The guy that was 2 houses down from us ended up with a few northerns and a eel pout. Then moved the house to another area and ended up catching a walleye in the first hour or so of fishing. Overall fishing was slowwwwwwwww. We are hoping to get up there a couple more times for some ice fishing. The area we are in now has a lot of potential.

lispeej,

I drive a 05 Nissan Armada LE. I realized my SUV sits lower and the air suspension wasnt much help out there. As soon as I hit that ice I would get stuck. There is alot of snow out there. Several individuals got stuck out there, especially with the extra coat of snow that fell on friday to sat.

So me pulling a trailer with my landcruiser may be tough? I'll prob wait til the snow packs a bit tighter b4 I come up there. Dont want to get stuck either.

lispeej,

I drive a 05 Nissan Armada LE. I realized my SUV sits lower and the air suspension wasnt much help out there. As soon as I hit that ice I would get stuck. There is alot of snow out there. Several individuals got stuck out there, especially with the extra coat of snow that fell on friday to sat.

Would you say morning, afternoon, evening, or night fishing is most active on BSL?

Most active would be at sun up to about 10 and then from 2 till sundown for tullies.

Although you can hit them all day.

I have some friends coming up this weekend. I am a bit hesitant to come up because I heard the bite has been fairly slow. But you never know with fishing. They can bite at anytime as well.

what are you fishing for? The crappies have been slower than last year but they are still biting.

Our main focus are tullies. But the good sized crappies & perch's are always a bonus.

Is Bill Horn Bay the place to be for tullies, crappies, and perch? What is the average catch of each of these fish per 8 hour day. When do the tullies, crappies, and perch fishing usually get better?

Once the snow starts to melt and drain off is when the bite normally picks up.

With the snows we have had the run off should be a good one this year.

It seems that with the extra oxygen that the run off provides and the fact the the water warms a degree or 2 ....those mayfly larva leave the mud and become suspended is when the tullie bite goes crazy.

Last year we banged them earlier than normal...say the end Jan...this year several are getting caught now....although you can tell they are not real aggresive yet. Some are though.

Lispeej

It appears any of the chartruse combos are working as well as the oranges.

jigpics042.jpg

jigpics039.jpg

This was the 1st weekend in Feb last year.

2010icefishing187.jpg

I really appreciate the effort you take in showing us your hot baits. Will definitely give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Our main focus are tullies. But the good sized crappies & perch's are always a bonus.

If tullies is the case then I would give it a try. We found some 2 weeks ago and am going back out this weekend for more.

I won't be chasing any tullies this weekend because the tire chains I ordered came out too small of a size. Hopefully somebody will plow or blaze trails for others. I just won't be able to check out my spots from last year.

up to 21" of ice, still heavy snow but a little more packed down, light slush underneath here and there, soft snow drifts of 12 inches...4x4 travel was still very difficult.

My tire chains have arrived now...So if I wanted to look for some tullies, then I should stand a good chance of looking for them.