• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up the Winnipeg Ice fishing for the first time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• manitobawalleye2

• topcat3820

• walleyefey

• Ed Carlson

BTDT, Eddie... ain't worth it, IMO. The tip-ups for gators is pretty hard when walleyes are on, too... you don't wanna' stop looking for green. Stu & I keep threatening to do a serious gator hunt out there every year... whistle. They're out there, though...

AndreJr.jpg

I see it's getting warmer up there. I hear vehicles are getting stuck, are quads ok, or is it only good for snow machines, or is it even bad for those? Just curious as I only have a quad.

Also I have access to a quad with track, have never used them, maybe that would be a good option?

That would be good and wise, or a sled, to best maximize your ability to move and find more fish.

Vehicles are always getting stuck out there... doesn't matter what kind, either grin. The quad with tracks will go anywhere you want. The way it's melting, you probably won't need anything more than a truck but it's always better to have an option wink .

Looking at maybe making a trip up to Manitoba the end of March. I think we may stay in the Selkirk area and are looking for a guide, cheap. It will just be a couple guys from Detroit Lakes. We'll have gear we just need help getting on the lake or river.

• 8 months later...

You can have all my Chubby's, then... I can't catch a cold with one (sorry, Eddy frown ). Gimme' a Live Target or a Rattlin' Rap any day wink.

Fey...

livetarget1.jpg

livetarget2.jpg

Has anyone seen these lures availiable in GFKS or Fargo. I lost the only one I had this fall. Sounds like they took Lake Winnepeg by storm last winter! New 1/4 ouncer out this year too, and the Crayfish colored ones look like they could be a great mimic on the LOTW rockpiles.

LOL, Well they're charging waaay too much then. That's even more than those Canadian folks have to pay in Loonies up north there!!

Found them for 7 bucks online, another had them at 9 and another at 11 so it looks like their priced all over the board!! I think I'd paid 8.50 or so this past summer at a small shop in Baudette for the one I had.

Haven't got 'em at GM, Ed confused??? $12 here, now frown.

Hope Kopper's improves the finish for a longer lifespan, though... they get naked real quick after a day or two on the lake frown .

The new 1/4oz Golden Shiners in 4 colors and the new Gizzard Shads should be shipping to distributors next week.

The finish on the new Gizzard Shads sems to be a bit different Terry.

Bring on the ice.....after one more late season musky trip next weekend.

The quad and auger are ready to go.

that was what was planned....

Sorry to say my mother-in-law passed and the service is today....

hopefully muskies next weekend at LOTW

I am sure some will be trying/checking in 2 weeks if the wind lays down....

3 weeks on foot close to shore.... 4 weeks with with quads....

you starting out east or west this year? i will stay on the west....too

close to home for me to bother going to the east...last years first trips were on the big reefs out from hecla and elk island....

We'll be up with our group Jan 13-16, we rented a cabin near Grand Beach this year. Do you know if there are any reefs near that area that would be good? This is our first time concentrating on the lake, what depths should we concentrate on during that time?

I have never fished Grand Beach Peter.

But I have heard of guys fishing Grand Beach reef, which is apparently on the south side of town.

Locals put shacks in the area, so it should be easy to find.

I have, with Andre' & a couple of buddies... went around the point from the West beach. Nothing to write home about, other than the ugly ice that gets stacked up from the wave action when it forms there, that is. Hard finding any water there... seemed like it was ALL reefs.

You can get into some dandy perch fishing, though wink...

324.jpg

I have fished between Brand Beach and Balsom Bay with some success. Too hard to predict depths right now. Just be prepared to move a lot and watch ice ridges in the area.

We'll have sleds with us so we can head south a bit if we need to, we'll see how it goes up there. Would you suggest we head south, if so, how far would you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

experiment till you find what they want that day. Generally though an agressive presentation works best.

Exactly... follow it down on a tight line and watch the screen light up wink. Always pays to have the second rod rigged with something else, just in case the LT calls 'em in and they won't take it, right Lee 2c ? Drives you crazy when they just fly in and nose it or sink back down after bumping it crazy .

what Topcat said is right on. It is important to have a "throwdown" rod handy or another hole close by with another smaller bait on it for the finicky ones..I have been experimenting with a drop shot off the live target, to see if I can get a few of the lookers to hit that too.