• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Got 3 lakers out off the line today. Hit the NS by the pumphouse for a hour and the water was cold and no fish biting so I hit the line in 110' of water and found warmer water and some fish. All fish caught 60' down over that 110'.

It wasnt fast by any means but enough to keep me out for a few hours. New Jims flashback with purple front and green back caught all 3. Put another of the same spoon out on the other line and never got another fish. LOL. All 3 lakers were in that 4# range. Beautiful day to get the old Lund wet though.

Nothing on Flasher/Fly or cranks on lead.

Picked up 3 lakers between the entry and the lester yesterday from 830 to 1130.

All in 70-80'of water on riggers. First was a 4# on bottom in 70' on a Jims watermelon, hit before I could get the second rod rigged.

Then slow for awhile and then a nice 6# redfin down in 80' on a jim's anuyerism. Both went in the box. Raised up the riggers to 24 and 34' and stuck on a magnum harley and pink lots o dots and went in front of the lester to try for salmon. Only hit was a 3# laker on the harley down 34' over 70.

Temps were about 51 near the entry down to 48 by the lester.

Went out from McQuade. Fished for 4 hours with out a bite. Fished shallow and deep with no luck anywhere. Didn't mark much. talked too three boats at the landing and the most fish anyone caught was one. Not sure what happened but it has shut off.

Walleyehunter come on down and show us how its done man. wink

The fish just aint goin down here like they were. I agree they should be snappin in shallow but they just aint. I mean you can get a few but you have to work for them. I have gave up on the big lake and went inland after crappies and eyes that will cooperate.

I had awesome action shallow on monday and two days last week (double digit numbers not too long after sunrise each day ), but only landed 3 with 3 others coming off friday morning. Granted I hit a different spot i've never been at, but maybe the bite did shut off some. If you find an area where they are concentrated and willing its not out of the question to get into a mess of fish and assume that they are going gangbusters all over. It is a BIG lake as we all know ;)Just my 2 cents...

Reports from the group I run with all say fishing has been awful this year and my fishing experience is the same. Spring was good for salmon but other than that, fishing (trout and salmon) has been spotty and never really turned on.

Walleyehunters' fish report is the only good news I have seen...

Would like to hear other reports as to this year in general.

Gonna hit the pond again on Wednesday. I have had a great year in the Apostles and am considering docking there next year.

This was easily the worst year in the 5 or so years I fished out there. I typically fish the spring salmon, and they just weren't going. I was out 4 times in May and only caught a couple of salmon. In past years I might have gotten skunked on one of those attempts, but would expect 10-15 releases on a couple of those trips in 4 hrs or so I would be out for. At least as compared to previous years. Admittedly I was unable to get out in June because of boat issues. Haven't fished out there in the fall in years past, but did have a good outing as reported in my last couple posts.

Yesterday some nice size lakers ( 7 to 12 lbs) were hitting out of Duluth. The wife and I fished the trench with flashers down deep and had a great time. Once we found the fish we went 5 for 7 in a couple hours. Green flashers and flies were best found fish in about 140 fow.

Fished out of McQuade on Saturday...lots of trailers in the parking lot!

Hit 170' to 40' and everything in-between, nothing. Ran spoons mostly, from the surface to 50' with the only rod bend coming from tapping the bottom a couple times.

Beautiful day to be on the lake. I got the boat cleaned up, re-tied a few lures, made some spinners and generally organized my stuff, but I would rather be netting fish frown

Lots of boats off Stoney Point, but haven't heard if anyone was pulling anything in.

Hey guys long time reader first time poster...We have had pretty good luck off the SS all year and has been getting hotter the last couple times out, last friday we were 7 for 10...lakers and coho's..2 guys. Most everything lately has been on dipseys 20'-30' down... The deepest water we hit all year has been 75' we really haven't needed to go deeper, the best action has been 50' to 65' fow. Good Luck

Fished outside the entry alongside 15 other boats on Wednesday AM. We didn't see anyone catching fish. Headed to deeper water and found the lakers. They are still hitting on dipseys and for the first time in my life, I wished I had more watermellon spoons:) That was the hot bait.

Even though we found the fish, it was slow.

Not that it really matters now but wich entry, there is 2 after all. LOL. Im assuming the Superior entry?

Hey guys long time reader first time poster...We have had pretty good luck off the SS all year and has been getting hotter the last couple times out, last friday we were 7 for 10...lakers and coho's..2 guys. Most everything lately has been on dipseys 20'-30' down... The deepest water we hit all year has been 75' we really haven't needed to go deeper, the best action has been 50' to 65' fow. Good Luck

Welcome to HSO, Mozer, and thanks for the report! smile

The fishing this year has been real good when I have been out. If there were ever 2-3 days of stable weather they were going real good (salmon and trout) I wet the boat about 14 times this year and only had 1 skunk and it was my own fault. The rest of the trips I pulled 2-6 fish per hour with 6 or fewer lines. Salmon were slower this year than normal but trout were about the same.

You were fishing Silver Bay/Grand Marais area or where again? It makes a big difference where you were fishing thats for sure. Also when. Around Duluth it was very spotty depending on where you were and when you were there. Early in the year I had some very good fishing but mid summer was a bit tuff with a few good late season days but over all I would say it was a slower than normal year around the Duluth/Superior area. The weather did play a big role in that. I know the South Shore and some of the North Shore had a lot of mud for a long time wich made finding fish without long runs mighty tuff.

Anyone know if the salmon are still biting over in the apostles? I was going to head over there next week for a few days.

I know what you are going to say NL, and I have posted in the "apostle" forum but there is not as much chatter and response in forum.

I lived over there for a few years and still make it back a few times a year, i have heard they are starting to come in a bit now, any where from houghton point to bayfield should be a good bet now. I would hit 20' - 35' fow to start with boards and dipseys. Monkey puke spoon on a dipsey always a good bet over there......sticks on the boards, should get yah some fish. Good Luck

Thanks Mozer. I am not sure if it will be next week or the week after. I wonder if that will be to late? From what I understand, fishing has been good and maybe slowing a bit.

It gets better the later it gets actually from what we have experienced the fish move in, which they are starting to do now and you get a mixed bag of splake, salmon, browns....we fish out there in November running board lines into 5 ft of water banging fish...guys will troll over there until the ice in the landings or on the lake keeps them off.

Is anyone still going out on L.Superior this time of year or do you stay off of her after the Laker season closes??

You can stay out there but you need to change tactics.

Lake trout season doesn't re-open until December 1st.

Board lines and surface lures looking for those Salmon is about all you can do this time of the season.

Salmon season is continuous on Superior.

Brook, Brown, and Rainbow Trout seasons don't open until April 1st.

I know a few guys who will fish Superior as long as they can get a boat to open water somehow. Whether that's by an ice free launch, or lugging a small boat across the ice,...they'll get out there.

The biggest inhibitor this time of the year is the weather. Storm patterns change and winds frequently blow from the NE which is never good on Superior. Evening daylight is short, mornings get cold and equipment can protest. I have already had to scrape the frost from the boat windshield once this year.

I prefer to fish from shore from here on out but if we have any more calm, 70+ degree October Saturdays, I may bring the little boat once or twice.

I think this is coming up on the best time of the year to catch loopers out of a boat/canoe. They're aggressive, their flesh is much better, and fewer folks out looking for them.

• 5 months later...

Loonasea and I got out today for the first time. The reports from yesterday sounded like there was a good bite. Today we landed one nice Looper that was 28" and one Coho. Both were caught less than a mile from McQuade access between 11:00 and 12:00. Lots of baitfish out there but we had no other hits. Water temp was right around 35 degrees.

Randy's Looper:

full-4091-18731-img_0562.jpg