• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

I photographed a wedding yesterday in Silver Bay. The reports I got were that lakers have been hitting very well, and kings have been caught within easy sight of the marina, including a 20 lb king a couple days back. That was all the detail I heard. Trustworthy source, though. smile

The way the lake has been laid down this weekend, both days I was up the North Shore (yesterday and today), I was really itching to get out in the boat. We even did some posed wedding photography at the SB marina in the groom's parents' fishing boat. Talk about wanting to fire it up and head out! gringrin

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Fished Sunday. 25 miles out of Sup Entry is where we found the fish. Purple spoons up top was the key. 6 lakers 3-8 lbs.

Anyone having any luck any closer? We have been returning to our spot 25 miles out but it is just to far. We have not had much luck closer.

Well I got 2 lakers and 1 king 7-9 miles out on the Mn. side of the line. Found the warmer water out there. All fish in the top 40'.

Thanks NL! I am heading out again today and really dont want to run as we are going to get a little wind.

Might hit that warm water and troll toward the Lester in the break.

Are you fishing the pond today?

Skunked on Saturday out from McQuade, but sure was a nice night to be out. We had trouble with a down rigger for about an hour. The smoked salmon we brought along was good though. ;-)

Thanks NL! I am heading out again today and really dont want to run as we are going to get a little wind.

Might hit that warm water and troll toward the Lester in the break.

Are you fishing the pond today?

I cant get out until after 5pm but yes I will be out.

We went out of McQuade this week end. Only two of us but got five lakers. Only missed one. Water Melon spoon took most at 60 to 90 feet down. Fished mostly 210 ft of water. We felt it was pretty good for a couple of guys who weren't sure what they were doing. Was hoping for a few salmon but learned you go for what the lake is giving up that day.

Didn't get out until about 3 yesterday. We did get our lakers but slowwwwww...this is the poorest fishing in this end of the lake that I have seen in the last 5 or 6 years anyway.

Warm water moved out with that SW wind. Fish were all on dipseys and lead core...surface.

I hit the SS about 5:30 and did not see a walleye. Went over to the MN. entry where some warmer water had been seen and hit 2 small lakers on spoon with 7 oz. of snap weights set 160 back. I cant believe the amount of Lakers still being caught on top this year.

McQuade and Two Harbors have been goo for me as of late.

Pretty much everything off small and medium dipseys and spoons

Sounds like the pump house is heating up. 120' of water on a new Jims Flashback spoon. Purple on 1 side and green on the back. Marine General is burning through them as quick as they hit the "Wall of Shame".

So, seeing as how I am a amateur Lake Superior fisherman, I'll give you my report but would like some constrictive criticism at the same time.

Fished 9/10 starting at about 4 P.M. and fished till 7:30 out of Tofte. Worked 80 fow out to 200 fow concentrating on 105 fow. Ran 2 downriggers, a 10 color lead, and a five color lead. Went 1 for 1 with the Reaper Magnum Green Fox Glow Spoon on the 10 color lead taking a 3 pound lake trout. Also ran a variety of spoons and 1 white dreamweaver flasher with a blue fly and then later a white fly. Speed normally 1.7 to 2.0 mph. Water temp at the surface in the mid 50's. Marked few fish on depth finder.

Fished 9/11 starting around 7:15 A.M and finishing by 11:30....... Had a hard time getting the fiancée out of bed. Anyways, worked 50 fow out to 250 fow concentrating on 90 fow. Same spread except took the flasher fly off around 9. Ended 2 for 3. One 6 pound lake trout and a small 2 pound king. 3 pound lake trout got off at the back of the boat. Speed from 1.8 to 2.4 mph. Marked more fish than on Saturday. Lake trout came on same 10 color lead set-up and king came on rigger 80 feet down in 90 fow with the same Reaper Magnum Green Fox Glow Spoon.

On a side note the Badger tackle Reaper Magnum Green Fox Glow Spoon took 1/2 our salmon on Lake Michigan this past year and 3/4 the year before. Earlier this year (Memorial Day Weekend and June 11th) we did fantastic out of Tofte in the 95 fow area having our limits of lake trout with only 5 or 6 hours of fishing. We didn't have downriggers and ran leadcores up to 13 colors, lead weights, and dipsies. Did the downriggers scare away the fish!?

Thank you for any input.

So, seeing as how I am a amateur Lake Superior fisherman, I'll give you my report but would like some constrictive criticism at the same time.

Fished 9/10 starting at about 4 P.M. and fished till 7:30 out of Tofte. Worked 80 fow out to 200 fow concentrating on 105 fow. Ran 2 downriggers, a 10 color lead, and a five color lead. Went 1 for 1 with the Reaper Magnum Green Fox Glow Spoon on the 10 color lead taking a 3 pound lake trout. Also ran a variety of spoons and 1 white dreamweaver flasher with a blue fly and then later a white fly. Speed normally 1.7 to 2.0 mph. Water temp at the surface in the mid 50's. Marked few fish on depth finder.

Fished 9/11 starting around 7:15 A.M and finishing by 11:30....... Had a hard time getting the fiancée out of bed. Anyways, worked 50 fow out to 250 fow concentrating on 90 fow. Same spread except took the flasher fly off around 9. Ended 2 for 3. One 6 pound lake trout and a small 2 pound king. 3 pound lake trout got off at the back of the boat. Speed from 1.8 to 2.4 mph. Marked more fish than on Saturday. Lake trout came on same 10 color lead set-up and king came on rigger 80 feet down in 90 fow with the same Reaper Magnum Green Fox Glow Spoon.

On a side note the Badger tackle Reaper Magnum Green Fox Glow Spoon took 1/2 our salmon on Lake Michigan this past year and 3/4 the year before. Earlier this year (Memorial Day Weekend and June 11th) we did fantastic out of Tofte in the 95 fow area having our limits of lake trout with only 5 or 6 hours of fishing. We didn't have downriggers and ran leadcores up to 13 colors, lead weights, and dipsies. Did the downriggers scare away the fish!?

Thank you for any input.

I have noticed in the last several years that more fish have come off of dipseys than downriggers. I'm not a Lake Superior pro by any means but this is what I have found.

However, the fishing has also changed from what you did in late May/early June compared to now

lake trout are going gangbusters right now. the big females are moving into staging areas and spawning grounds. I am catching fish at a rate of 5-6 fish per hour. anywhere from 2 - 15 pounds. Fish have come anywhere from tight to bottom all the way to 5 feet down. Spoons, sticks and FF all working very well right now

Im guessing you mean Flasher Fly? (FF) Any color spoons/sticks standing out. Last time out purples were good.

lake trout are going gangbusters right now. the big females are moving into staging areas and spawning grounds. I am catching fish at a rate of 5-6 fish per hour. anywhere from 2 - 15 pounds. Fish have come anywhere from tight to bottom all the way to 5 feet down. Spoons, sticks and FF all working very well right now

That's some great fishing. Congrats! smile

Big lake trout can be either sex. It's not like walleyes and pike, where the females are big and the males are smaller. Lakers of 2-15 pounds aren't especially large in any case.

Watermellon, watermellon, watermellon. Steve, 15 pounds is a good size trout. 6 pounds is a good size trout. B side put out a lot of 15 pounders?

Nope, Bside doesn't put out many 15 lbers. Still not what I consider a large laker, with the hook and line record being about 70 lbs, and larger fish caught in nets.

It's no big deal whatever we call "big." Just makin talk at ya. They're all goooooooood! smilesmile

Has anyone been in the Chequamegon Bay, Apostle Island area lately. Would like to get one more short road trip in since I'm laid off next week and have not seen much info lately. Would ideally be targeting a mixed bag of trout/salmon.

Thanks Dave

Thanks for the tip walleyehunter. Watermelon worked and so did rainbow on leadcore out 180-230ft. Had 5 fish on and ended up bringing two to the boat. Nice 4lbers. Not bad for a few hours with only two lines.

Has anyone been in the Chequamegon Bay, Apostle Island area lately. Would like to get one more short road trip in since I'm laid off next week and have not seen much info lately. Would ideally be targeting a mixed bag of trout/salmon.

Thanks Dave

Post this in the Ashland/Bayfield area site and you will see what Jim Hudson and others have been up to down there.

glad i could help. not sure what is going on the south shore, but the north shore is pumping out fish in a big way. fish the flat water and keep your speeds slow 1.8-2.1 and keep your leaders a little longer on your flys or whatever else you have behind your dodger, the bigger lakers dont like to chase

I had a third out, it was a dispey ran it shallow and deep, but it didn't produce anything. Therefore only two lines, if I had another leadcore I would have thrown that out too. wink