• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

5am on the SS and nothing in over a hour so I ran to the pump house and fished 120' to 140' of water. Tried on top and nothing so sent a grren glow/white with black dots Jims Flashback spoon down about 80' and got 2 small shore trout. Tossed back. Called a buddy and he said to head out of Mc Quades and find 230-270' of water and pull sticks/cranks on top. I know it sounds funny dont it. Well I wound up with 3 nice lakers with the biggest at about 11 or 12#. Spotted frog RR 600 130 back off the board at 2.2 mph did it and also got 1 on the 700 RR in wonderbread. Back home about 9:45. Beuatiful morning out there. just perfect temps.

Now I get to mow lawn in the heat. crazy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

9 lakers and 1 king yesterday. We did try to fish closer in the pea green water but had to run out a bit to find a change. The surface temps were 70 degrees until we got out to the clearer water.

Photo were you fishing on top with boards or on the down riggers? Our down riggers aren't ready to go yet so wondering if it is worth the time. Thanks

You can still catch fish on the surface like I said in my post. Its odd but its working.

I won't say we have not caught any fish on the downriggers this year but the vast majority have been on top. When I am running my riggers the balls have been set no deeper than 30 feet. If I had to leave one piece of equipment at home it would be the downriggers without question.

Thanks for the info fellas. One last question. Is there much of an afternoon/evening bite? I know trout bite better in the a.m. but wondering how much they shut off on the big pond. If there is a bite is it better to fish up until dark or has the fat lady sung before then? Thanks

Thanks for the info fellas. One last question. Is there much of an afternoon/evening bite? I know trout bite better in the a.m. but wondering how much they shut off on the big pond. If there is a bite is it better to fish up until dark or has the fat lady sung before then? Thanks

You can catch fish all day but in my experience, AM is best

last time up we did well but only in the clear water.

by the looks of the Modis shots a guy is gonna have too run a ways for clean water.

Jim we are headed to lake Michigan next week for 4 days, hope the weather holds for us.

I'll be backup to the gitch first or second week of August.

Gutz,

Post how you do in Michigan. Are you going up to Door county? I am hoping to go the first week in August.

Feathers,

We caught fish on boards, dipseys, leadcore and even 1 on the downrigger down 60 feet with a fly - dodger combo. That was the first fish of the year on a downrigger.

I dont think that murky hot 70 surface temp water holds fish at the surface.

I just got home last night from Algoma, charter trip, nice kings, loads of bait fish, some die off going on. Short bite window yesterday morning, but the day before it lasted all morning. The best lines yesterday were down 75'no downrigger bites.

Fished last night for 2 hours. Hit 75-150' water. Fished the top 50 ft of water column in clear water. Not a hit. Surface temp was 64-68 degrees.

Have we not appeased the lake Gods this year?

No kidding, this is becoming my worst year yet out there

Photo I'm not sure the clearance at McQuade but it is pretty big. There were a couple 20+ cruisers that were launching yesterday.

Fished Sunday afternoon with the old man out of McQuade. Hit a 4lb and a 7lb laker. Both were about 30 ft down. Nothing on the baits higher. I think this warm weather this past week might have finally forced them down a bit. Gotta get the down riggers before next trip.

One weird thing I noticed is there were times maybe 5-15 minutes of trolling where we would mark fish stacked constantly from 100 ft down to the bottom which was avging around 250ft. It would be constant fish filling the screen then you would hit the edge of the school and the graph went blank. They were marking as big fish on the graph with some medium and small mixed in and were absolutely thick. We didn't have the down riggers so we weren't able to try to fish them. They were so thick that we thought there was no way they were lakers? Maybe whitefish? What do you guys think?

Im guessing something like that. I caught whitefish on a stick bait the other day. 1st time thats happened out there for me. There sure were a lot of fish on the graph out in that 230-260ish foot of water. Getting them to bite was the trick.

I have been seeing the same thing. I wonder if a meduim rod with a super line and a slip bobber and crawler or something might work? I know it seems unconventional but hell, cant do much worse than I have been doing trolling recently. Only two fish in the boat in the last 7 trips.

Chaff,

we will be back on sunday and I'll post a report and some pics.

We'll be at Baileys Harbor. And maybe fish gills rock for a day as well./

Hit the McQuade Landing the other day and managed to squeeze out 4 lakers.

All on Jointed Raps on dipseys and downriggers

Fishgutz,

I am very anxious to hear about how you do at Bayleys Harbor. I am leaving for Bayleys Harbor next Wednesday AM.

Good luck!!!

Went out of Knife river this morning. Went out about 3 miles and setup our lines. We trolled out at least 5 miles and threw everything at them. Got one decent laker with a green and crushed ice spin doctor with a green fly in the prop wash and it was the only hit we had. The chatter and the radio sounded like it was pretty slow all over.

It was nice to chat with Northlander and Valv in the harbor.

Tried the SS this morning for some eyes. Did get a few hits, but only ended up losing half a crawler each time. After the first hour or so it was dead.

Nice seeing you guys to Jim. Too bad I had to go to work it would have been a great afternoon to hit the pond.

I was nice to see you too Jim, glad you came on over, and you're welcome to do it again anytime.

Went out later in the day too, threw anything we had + more, but did not get a bite, well actually we had one on a dipsy at 65ft out but lost it right away, that was it.

Went out of Port Wing on Saturday morning. Found a pocket of fish suspended over 180' of water. Had 3 hits, caught 2 lakers. One on smithwick and other on 3 color of lead core/purple spoon. Slllloooowwwwwww.