• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

The hole south shoe is red clay well most of it on this end of the lake. When we get a good blow this is why the south shore is dirty and it drifts over to the north shore with the wind and currents. With water this cold it is in the top 2 feet so mo big deal for trolling good cover for the fish:-).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Isn't there some color changes that happen when Warm water meets colder water? confused

This mud is not from the Nemadji.

Northlander is right on.

When it starts coming out of the entry's I will post again but this is just from the wind.

ok, thanks. we used to fish for trout up on the blackhoof when we were kids and i dont know if i ever seen any stream as muddy as the nemadji early in the year and after a good rain. never fished on the south shore on the wisconsin side. i figured it was all beach like park point. good luck.

skim ice has and will be a problem in the mornings along the shore until the temps warm a little more...fished from 4 till dark today caught two and lost 2 they are out there. It was interesting watching the boats bust threw the ice that formed from the time they went out till they came back in I didn't realize they would be that loud breaking threw the ice.

man they are hard core. my kind of fishermen. good luck.

Too hardcore for me. As much as I love to fish, that might be a little much

Went out and checked a few spots to see what the ice looked like and see if there was anything biting. Lots of skim ice everywhere. Down at the French they got a few at sunrise and then it iced over and was pretty tough fishing condition until almost noon. The only fish that was caught was a boat trolling by. Looks like 3 boat launched out of McQuades and one from Bluebird. Quite a few fish rolling at the French at times but it was so flat and calm. Sure wish it would warm up enough to get rid of the ice!

Slower day today no bobbers down for me although I only put in 3 hours. Didn't see a fish caught from 4:30PM until dark. Plenty of rollers...maybe tomorrow will be better.

Got to fish the shore this morning in a nice little snow fall. I got a bite within 5 minutes of getting both lines out. It was a 12" Coho and was the only bite in the 6 hours I sat on the shore. One other person caught a Coho otherwise we never did see another person catch a fish. It sure seemed like the perfect morning with the heavy overcast and light snow and a little wind out of the east. The shore emptied out by 11:00 and you could pick out just about any spot that you wanted. Lots of bird activity going up and down the shore made for a very nice sit.

Jim

what did you rig up with? Bag or crawler? I maybe swing up next weekend and give it a try.

Jim

what did you rig up with? Bag or crawler? I maybe swing up next weekend and give it a try.

I was using a crawler with a shot of air. BD110 and I hit it early this morning and Tom was able to land a nice male around 4 pounds. I got nothing mad Not one bite !

It was a slow morning with just a few fish rolling. There were a few Loopers and Coho caught but most got just what I got. The boats that were out deeper were able to pick up a few fish.

My friend and I are up here in Duluth going to college. We just decided to give fishing a try at lester river for some Loopers and salmon. Any advice? We stood out in the wind and rain this morning and got a little to cold. Is it realistic to catch fish out that way? Any advice appreciated!

First off Welcome to HSO!

Nasty weather can be a great time to fish but it does make it a lot tougher. You have to dress like its winter which is not all that tough. The hardest part is keeping your bait in the water were the fish are without the waves picking it up and dragging into shore or locking it into the rocks. Casting can be a challenge as well but when it get nasty the fish will come very close to shore to feed so you don't need a very long cast to get to the fish. Good luck and if you get into them be sure to post a report.

Thanks for the advice! What are the best times to fish down there? Are mornings the only time?

Morning and evening are good times but in reality they could bite at anytime. I was thinking about your weather question and thought about my past 2 days and how slow it was. I had snow rain,wind,calm,fog sun and the fishing was slow the whole time. Things will improve once the rivers start dumping more water and warming things up a bit.

Hey Jim,

I didn't hear from you this morning but that didn't stop me from heading out to the French. Not many there with the wind and weather that's going on today. Froze my backside off but I was able to manage a nice Coho for my trouble. It came on the bottom line with a crawler just after 7:00 about the same time as yesterday.

It was tough going trying to keep the bobber line out long enough between casts. Started to loose the feeling in my hands so it was time to hang it up for the day.

I would like to say it sounds like fun but I know better wink

Glad to hear that you at least got a Coho for your troubles. Felt nice to sleep in this morning. The heavy wet snow sure does stink mad

We need some warmer temp SOON !

My friend and I are up here in Duluth going to college. We just decided to give fishing a try at lester river for some Loopers and salmon. Any advice? We stood out in the wind and rain this morning and got a little to cold. Is it realistic to catch fish out that way? Any advice appreciated!

zfinnman,

Welcome to HSO!!

Are you able to fish anytime during the week or just weekends? I work most of this week but will be off most of the following week. If you and your buddy would like to meet up early one morning to go over the basic set up needed for Looper fishing send me an e-mail. My address is below. Put Looper fishing in the subject line and I'll send you my cell number.

Again welcome to the site!!

Overcast days are great because you can pick them up all day. I slept in this morning and picked up one with four bites in the Lester around 11 today. You can catch them all day even on sunny days but they like to hang out in shady places with lots of protection around them.

ME AND A FRIEND GOT OUR 6 LAKERS ON STAURDAY. LOST SEVERAL OTHERS HAD TO WORK FOR THEM (9 HRS) BUT WHAT A NICE DAY ON THE GITCH.

ME AND A FRIEND GOT OUR 6 LAKERS ON STAURDAY. LOST SEVERAL OTHERS HAD TO WORK FOR THEM (9 HRS) BUT WHAT A NICE DAY ON THE GITCH.

In a boat I would guess? confused

Is anyone out fishing the French or knife rivers for Kamloops or salmon?

I was considering bringing me and some other novices up to try our hand at fishing the banks.

I only get a single chance to shoot up there. watching the temps, looks like overnite temps are warming. I am very green at fishing the river for trout like this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

One more quick question, any advice on fishing from shore on the lake? (North Shore) I was thinking that if the fish are not in the river (French/Knife) yet, the river mouth might produce? Nightcrawler on bottom? Spoons? Spinners? Not sure how deep the mouths are or how far out you need to get to get the fish...

One more quick question, any advice on fishing from shore on the lake? (North Shore) I was thinking that if the fish are not in the river (French/Knife) yet, the river mouth might produce? Nightcrawler on bottom? Spoons? Spinners? Not sure how deep the mouths are or how far out you need to get to get the fish...

You can't fish in the French - it's off limits.

Loonasea and I got out this morning and had some decent action. I lost one on a fly and missed 3 other bites and Loonasea picked up 2 males and missed 3 or 4 other bites.

McQuade is ice free and there were about 5 boats that launched out of Rice with one side open and a little ice to dodge before you gout out in the main shipping channel.

Time to get the boat ready!