• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

Anything above 102" needs a permit, very easy to get online too.

Better be legal and compliant than get a ticket from DOT, they are not cheap.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/cvo/oversize/oversize.html

Fact Sheet PDf

Essentially, say's anything wider then 8'6" (102") other than your mirrors, needs a permit.

My permit was done online, cost $10, they sent it via email or fax.

Definitions

“Oversize/Overweight Vehicle” is defined as a vehicle, with or without a load, which exceeds legal sizes

or weights. Prior to movement, you must obtain an Oversize/ Overweight Transportation Permit from

the road authority that owns, or operates, the roadway you wish to travel on. The permit must be

carried in the vehicle during transport.

Maximum Legal Dimensions (M.S. § 169.80 and 169.81)

The maximum vehicle dimensions, loaded or unloaded, that may be operated without special permits

on Minnesota highways are:

• Height: 13' 6";

• Width: 8' 6", exclusive of rear view mirrors or temporary load securement devices that may

extend an additional three inches on each side of the vehicle or load; and

Can we get back to fishing reports guys? Oh wait we cant get out again!!! This bites!!! I dont remember a summer where I missed so much big lake water time. I hope the rest of July and for sure August is good. Last August was excellent laker fishing around here.

I hear ya Northlander. This has been a tough year for evening fishing trips.

If it isn't stormy, the wind is howling at 30 mph, like today.

I am getting a boat tomorrow and have just been shore fishing the river, all times of the day. haven't been able to find the walleyes yet and don't have a clue where to even go in a boat, I've been using nightcrawlers. Any suggestions or other places to try out, new to the area and teaching myself as i go

Thanks

Hey I haven't been on the big lake either for that matter, but I must say that is one good looking photo Butch.

Sorry for pulling things off track once again... my bad!!

Loonasea and I fished with his friend yesterday with hopes of catching Coho. We went down the south shore fishing anywhere from 25' to 50' with most of our lures on top and later dropped a rigger down and ran plugs closer to the bottom. We never had a strike all day but the guys that went deep seemed to be having decent luck catching Lakers. Most of the boats that we talked with had 4 or 5 in the well and a number of missed fish. It was pretty cool to get out and fish out of a Hewescraft for the first time. The lake was very flat but when we went through the entry and went through the wake a another big boat it was so smooth cutting through the wake. Now I know why there are made for the ocean.

If I ever win the lottery...

Loonasea had to remind me the Walleyehunter80 (Josh) also had a Hewescraft so it was my second ride in one.

Ditto on the lottery thing.

Hit the lake today and it was beautiful out there. Lakers were a bit slower on the Mn. side than they have been but finally found some nice eyes on the cheesey side. Still no numbers but the size was nice.

I was out of TH this past weekend, 3 hours each day, Friday evening and Saturday morning. Pretty slow out there. Seems like all of the action is on the Packer side of the lake. We went 2 for 3 Friday losing a nice Salmon at the back of the boat and brought home a nice eating size red-fin. All fish came out of 80 FOW. The salmon was suspended at 60 over 80 FOW. Saturday we went 1 for 3 and brought nothing home. We fished 80-150 FOW and marked nothing but rocks on the bottom. Surface temps were around 50 degrees both days but I never checked the temps at depths. No specific lure colors or patterns seemed to be producing.

Well the morning started out odd. 1st thing was the fog and wind. Second was 2 kids trashing the Loonsfoot bathroom at 4:30 in the morning. Grant spooked them off when he pulled in.

After waiting at the landing and getting eaten alive by misquitos we got a bit of light and decided to give it the old Northlander try even though Grant had gotten blown off just 1/2 hour earlier. We surprisingly found it was very fishable out there. crazy

Hit the South Shore and after some searching found some walleyes, coho and a laker. All but the laker and 1 coho came on a 800 Reefrunner in wonderbread back 140' over 32-40' of water. Thats been the HOT bait the past couple weeks.

Cohos were very nice sized with the biggest going 22". Laker was a griller and the eyes were again nice sized.

Hopefully the wind stays down and I can go back and chase some lakers out deep.

Looking out the window it seems the wind is picking up though. frown

ya steve I tend to have that affect on alot of people lol..... and the fish, I've been snakebit the past 2 days. hopefully that will change tomorrow.. glad someone got a few this morning lol. my shallow game plan didn't work too good.

See my crazy adventure story in the Matthothands post to St.Croixflats.

Had a nice multi species day on the big pond today ,,wonderbread was the hot color,,action was good till about mid day with a mix of lakers, browns and walleyes ,,1 walleye came home the rest were too big ,,,eatin good in the neighborhood

LAS

Loonasea that red headed wonderbread has been puttin a hurtin on some fish lately. Multispecies too. No HoHo's?

yeah Jim the Hewes are nice, but if i win the powerball Im getting a baha cruiser.

yeah Jim the Hewes are nice, but if i win the powerball Im getting a baha cruiser.

Josh-

Do you keep the hewes in Grand Marais?

When you come up to check out the baha, we will have to take that out one day and then do Grand Marais the next day if your boat is up there. I have never fished up there and I would love to see the scenery.

Sounds like you guys are having some real good fishing along the South Shore. Would it be worth a day trip from the Minnesota side?

I was out again last night trolling through the water column around Two Harbors. It was a gorgeous evening with glass like seas. Water temps were 60 degrees on surface and 55 down 60'. It was cooler south of town. We picked up a tiny Coho, around 9", and a small Laker, maybe 12", for 3 and half hours of trolling. We're catching minnows up here. The rest of the fleet at the dock had similar luck and the parking lot was pretty sparse.

Got room over there for another boat? Any preferred times for best action?

Eddy the bite for Lakers has been pretty good just outside the Duluth entry. Anyplace from 95' to 110' is where I have been getting bit. Seems like 1/2 meat rigs and the other half spoons has been working.

The Jims Flashback Valentine spoon, 57 Chev and yellow clown has been best with pink with dots and antifreeze or green dolphins doing some damage as well. Some nice sized fish being caught as well. Thats where I would go for lakers/salmon. Run a dypsie out with a flasher/fly or spin n glow for the salmon.

I tried the entry yesterday, as well as just outside the entry. I did catch 1 eye out there, but only a small guy. Most the action I saw was the kids jumping off the light house. Any tips or suggestions on how to get walleye out on the lake Or in the entryway without using dipsys, or riggers? The 1 fish I caught came by the break wall in like 20 ft of water with a jig n crawler. I also got snapped off by something else, that I with I would of at least got a look at. Tips are appreciated! I know there's fish in that entry, I just got to get em. Lol...

Chris,

Yeah the boat stays up there, but will be pulling it home the end of August for 2 lake Michigan trips planned in September(first and last weekend) The second and third weekend of September it will be in Grand Marais for the lakers! It gets nuts up there right before spawn with high numbers for hours fished and size is doubled.

You are more than welcome in the boat its a great place to be on the water!!

Josh

Heya Northlander, thanks for the tips. I am pretty sure I have those spoons in the box but I haven't washed them yet. My only fish this past wednesday came on a koolaid. I'll probably be bringing the boat back to Duluth this weekend and I'll keep hittin' it.

What size spin-n-glo do you use and are you using a flasher or a dodger? How do you rig those up? Are you trolling a smelt behind them?

Biggest you can find for spin n glows and I run 2 trebles off that with a smelt. You can run solo as well. If I run solo I usually run a single treble then.

I like the hammered silver flashers in front of these baits. At times Ill run a dodger but Im more a flasher type guy.

Well I got a late start and didnt get fishing til about 6am. 1st eye came at 6:15 and it was staedy action until about 8:15 when it got flat.

Decided then to go chase some Lakers and Salmon. Once set up it didnt take long to get the 1st laker in the boat. Plump lil 3#er caught on a glow flounder pounder at 95' over 106'. Dropped it back down and 10 minutes later had another about 6#. Nothing touched it for about 1/2 hour so I went to a green dolphin and soon had a lil runt in the boat that went back in the water to grow up.

Had a dry 40 minute period where I started switching up things. Heard of a flasher fly bite so I tried that with no luck so went back to spoons.

Dropped a flashback barbie doll down to 80' and WHAM! I had a big king on. Had to chase it down because it darn near spooled my Sealine 17. Once in the boat it was 32" and very healthy. Biggest I have ever caught in these neck of the woods. Shortly after I popped another King on the same spoon.

By now it was almost noon and I was getting warm, I hate flat calm days, so I headed for home.

Finished with catching 7 eyes, 3 salmon and 3 trout. (Not all kept of course)Not a bad day.

Back at it tomorrow for the early morning bite if weather allows.