• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

I pulled 3 different types of flasher with 3 different flies but no meat yet.On one side it was a flasher/fly and on the other a flasher/spoon and the outside lines had deep diving plugs but I wonder if I should have had the far lines setup with shallow diving plugs. I was just amazed at the sheer amount of baitfish in the stained/muddy water and all the fish under them. The one other factor is the barometer was on a slow rise and that might have shut them off.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

I hit the lake at 5am Sat 6/26/10 morning. Hit 100' of water on the Mn. side of the line and had fish all over the graph. From 5-7:30am I had 5 lakers then it died big time. Tried all types of spoons/flasher/fly/spin n glow combos but by far apink with lots a dots Jims Flashback was best 65' down. Most lakers came on that rig.

Later on I had another laker and 2 nice kings (1 6lb and 1 8lb) in a 45 mn. span on a orange/chart/green finlander spoon down 75' over 96'.

After that it was slow again so I was off the water by 11:20 and cleaned fish and was home in time to watch the US lose in Soccer. frown

A bit bumpy out there and not fast and furious but a decent day for the 1st time out after lakers.

"Grand Marais Report 6/23-6/26"

While working up in Grand Marais this week, we managed to get out fishing for 1.5-2 hours each night after work. These were our first 4 outtings on the north shore this season.

Evening of the 23rd we went 2/3 with 1 King (9lbs) and 1 Laker (3lbs) and lost 1 King same size at the back of the boat. Dipsy out 18' with a blue/glow tape opti flasher with LBB fly took both King hits and the LT came on a 8 color off a board with a flashback pink lotsa dots spoon. Water temps were 50-53 deg. Speed was 2.5-3.0 gps.

Evening of the 24th we went 1/1 with 1 King (4lbs) Dipsy out 30' with blue/glow tape opti flasher with blue/silver glow howie fly took the fish. Water temps stayed the same right around 50 deg. Speeds were again 2.5-3.0 gps.

Evening of the 25th we went 4/5 with 2 Kings (6&4lbs) 1 Laker (released) 1 Coho (3lbs). Dipsy out 50' took 2 hits caught 1 King on a flamethrower flasher/orange howie fly. Rigger down 118' with a pearl lure jensen dodger/brads bait plug w/tuna streched back 5' took the 6 lb. King. Dipsy out 15' with a red action flasher with a blue/silver coho fly took the coho. Swr down 145' with a chrome lure jensen dodger/watermellon SNG took the laker. Speeds were 1.5-2.2 gps and temps were right around that 50 mark.

Evening of the 26th we went 4/4 with 2 Kings (6&5lbs) 2 Lakers (1.5&3lbs) a 8 color off a board took a laker with a flashback watermellon spoon then the 8 color took a king with a green/silver w/pearl back proking spoon. A 3 color off a board with a laker taker silver/yellow spoon took the other king. Rigger down 120' with a flashback magnum silver/balck stripe spoon took a laker over 240 fow. Speeds were anywhere from 1.8-3.1 gps and 2.2 on the depth raider was the most productive water was 44 deg down 100 feet. water temps stayed the same all 4 nights with 50 deg. being the most consistant temp found.

All in all not to bad for our first set of outtings. 7.5-8 hours fished going 11/13....6 kings 1 coho 4 lakers, running only 4 lines for 2 of the hours and 6 the rest of the time. Wont be back up till the end of July for our next run.

Josh

Quick report, SS 30-50 FOW last night running east at 2.7, picked up a quick pair of walleyes in the chocolate as I was weaving back and forth out of it. Brown with red bomber and a purple hot & tot. Both of the surface.

Josh sounds like you had some good luck for the little time you spent out there. I am going to have to keep a dipsy in a lot closer and see if I can get a king to hit. Weather sounds good tomorrow so I will have to give it a try.

Water temps exploded out there today and the only thing exciting was a masive fish rushing my board. Maybe a muskie I dont know but it was huge!!!

Hey Jim, I love to run a dipsy with some sort of flasher/fly combo just out far enough on a 3 setting so I can no longer see the flasher. depending on day and color of flasher its usually right around 18 FOL.

Good luck, it always gets hit!!!

Have fun Josh

It went after your board? or you got a hit on the lure and it ran with your board?

It went after your board? or you got a hit on the lure and it ran with your board?

It actually rushed and rolled on my board. Scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of me! BIG fish whatever it was. Maybe a sunning muskie that got startled by the board and it was just a reaction? Craziest thing I have seen out there in a long time.

Only time my board moved all afternoon unless I was changing cranks. frown

Anyone heading out today? Im heading out at 4pm to chase some trout until the walleye bite improves.

BD110 and I hit the lake this morning and got a 20" walleye in 60' of water out in front of the Wisconsin entry on a shallow running Firetiger. The waves were starting to build so we decide to troll back in and try in the harbor. Thought we had a Coho but got a nice surprise. Did not get a bites in the harbor.

Ya Jim the Harbor has been dead. Couple spurts here and there but over all its been very slow.

Looks like the south shore is still muddy from up here on the hill. Is that what you guys that were out are seeing? Can't wait to get out there and start chasing some eye's.

tjo

Looks like the south shore is still muddy from up here on the hill. Is that what you guys that were out are seeing? Can't wait to get out there and start chasing some eye's.

tjo

what walleyes?

yea steve ill probably be out of knife river chasing lakers. I have heard some good reports from up there.

Coming up this weekend and bringing some Italian visitors, anybody been out of Knife River area would like to share some tactics ?

You're welcome to come and visit at slip 87, or look up for "La Barca" on the water, I always have plenty of barley pop.... grin

both boards and riggers have been working good. pink or green bombers 120 feet behind the boards has been pretty productive. lakers are also being caught right on the bottom in 175 fow so that tells ya there kinda all over the water column right now

Valv - I'll be going out of Knife at some point this weekend. I'll look for ya'.

Wish I had a report for ya', but it's been pretty slow for me (I'm really just learning though so take it for what it's worth).

"Grand Marais Report 7/2-7/4"

7/2 Evening: Well I and the wife recieved an unexpected trip up the shore this weekend. I was suppose to work Monday the 5th so heading up the shore was not an option, at the last minute the boss man gave us Monday paid off so road trip it was. Got to Grand Marais at 4:30am Friday Morning and had the boat in the slip by 6:30am. After a long hot day of work Krista and I had lines set by 7:30pm. At 7:45pm she informed me she was getting sea sick, at 7:55pm we landed a 3 lb. Laker and at 8:15pm we pulled lines and ran back to the harbor. Water temps were right around 54 deg.

7/3 Evening: Left the wife on shore tonight! I and 2 Grand Marais locals hit the water at 6:25pm made our run out West of the harbor and had lines set at 7:30pm. The first hour and a half was a drag, we pulled lures through hundreds of salmon from the surface down to 80' over top of 100-350 FOW. At 9:00pm is when it got exciting. First to fire was a 8 color with a pink lotsa dots Flashback (King). Next to fire was a 6 color with a orange/gold Flashback (King). Then the 3 color with a bubblegum Flashback took a good rip and before we could get the rod out of the rod holder the fish was off. Then the rigger fired with a black/gold Pro King down 70' back 30' (Laker). last fish of the night was on a dipsy out 30' on a 3 setting with a blue/glow back opti flasher w/ blue/glow Howie fly (King). Water temps rose to 69 deg.

7/4 Morning: Hit the water at 4:20am ran West of town again to the same spots as last night. Fish were still there, lines set by 5:00am. First fish was off the rigger down 40' back 30' with a Moonshine spoon green/glow (Laker). Next fish was off the rigger down 40' back 30' black/gold Pro King (King). Then the 8 color went with a pink lotsa dots Flashback (Laker). Last fish hit at 6:00am on the dipsy out 50' on a 1 setting, had the dipsy set too tight due to it popping from the large swells so it never released on this fish and it took 25 minutes to get a 6lb. (King) in to the boat. Pulled last line at 6:30am and headed in. Water temps dropped to 57 deg.

For the 3 outtings there was no real pattern on speed, 2.2 on the depth raider and 2.9 GPS was what we kept it around the whole time. Water temps down 55' was 48-51 deg.

Going 9/10 in 3 short trips is great fishing for this time of year this far up the shore!

Josh

Good job out there Josh!!!

Jim and myself hit Mc Quade this morning and the lake was flat then got a bit bumpy as we were leaving ,,,Jim picked up a 29 inch sisquet that went back and that was about it for action ,,,I got some sun that will require some lotion/aloe later but Im going to enjoy the remainder of the day in the sun

LAS

We headed out of Duluth today from the Garfield Landing. Drove straight out at the sun this beautiful morning with my son Ethan, good friend Alan, and a friend of his Danny. Started dropping lines just before 7am at 100' of water with the surface temps right around 62-63 degrees. Continued to head out to 120’ as we went and the action started while still setting lines. We fished 75' to the bottom in that area for the most part until that died around 9 am or so. Then we changed our presentation slightly and moved in straight towards the beach until we hit 90' of water. There we hugged the bottom with the back two riggers and stacked the outsides just above and it was game on again around 11:00 until we left with our limit of Lakers just before 2pm with the fish still biting. We had steady action except for one double today. Most of the action was real close to the bottom in 87'-90'. We for sure missed another 12 hits as well. Very few bites on spoons for us although I know a captain friend of mine that was in 75’ and fished all spoons today and did well on smaller lakers and managed 2 Kings and a Coho.

I got a nice 36” Laker today that weighed in at 14lbs even on a full lead core with a 6oz weight on out in front. 700’ of leadcore line and a big fish sure made for some nice hand and bicep cramping. But you couldn’t take the smile off my face for the rest of day if you wanted to!

My Laker

070510042.jpg

Ethan and I

070510046.jpg

Ethan and one of his three fish he reeled in today.

070510057.jpg

Notice how talented I am. Taking pictures, moving rods and netting two fish at once! wink

070510060.jpg

being formaly from duluth i'm officialy jealus. your son will never forget these days with you. good luck in all you do.