• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old boats

hamms-scooter

I like the floor fishinfey8, Tullibee where did you get the wave wackers? I was going to make my own but need to locate some material. I really like the seats enough to get them for the boat so i'm glad you have had no issues.Thanks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamms-scooter

• jwmiller33

• fishinfey8

• Far-I

Minnesotamike,I forgot to tell you I like the simple camo job that is what I would like to do but maybe with some dark green or black in there too.

Thanks for the link jw the pics were good.my issue is i dont have that very front bench in the bow.should i just build the deck like normal and run the vertical support to the ply floor and then one angling up to framing in the very front? you know what i mean? I can figure out a good way. you guys are spoiled with that front bench..jk

Yeah I would put a 25 on it for sure, and for that reason. A rebel is nice because of the fact that it has everything you need and nothing you don't (which keeps it light and easily pushed by a 25 hp).

Thanks for the link jw the pics were good.my issue is i dont have that very front bench in the bow.should i just build the deck like normal and run the vertical support to the ply floor and then one angling up to framing in the very front? you know what i mean? I can figure out a good way. you guys are spoiled with that front bench..jk

yes not having that front nose bench is definitely a hurdle to overcome when building the front deck support system... i would have to look at it in person to get an idea of what i would do... i have a couple ideas floating around thru my head but its hard to verbally explain them. could you maybe post a pic of what your bench looks like? i would think of a way of encorporating the galvanized steel you had, but i would build some sort of anchor system that would act as the front nose bench you dont have... it would have to be cut perfectly on the bottom to match the contour of the boat, but have it extend up vertically... about half way up and at the top, it would have horizontal extentions to the sides of the boat, again, having to be cut perfectly to match the contour of the boat... if you had the tools and mindset to build that, it would be just as good as having the front nose bench, but it might be a little trickier build. what do you think about that?

IMG_0922.jpgIMG_0911.jpg

Here is my 1981 Mr Pike. I wish I could take credit for the restoration but the guy I bought it from did it all.

IMG_0922.jpgIMG_0911.jpg

Here is my 1981 Mr Pike. I wish I could take credit for the restoration but the guy I bought it from did it all.

nice boat scout! i like those older pikes a lot. where is that pic taken? pool 4?

Nice job, I just finished a total rebuild of a 1983 18' Sylvan sportster. I know how much work is involved in a project like that. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a recent remodle to a 85 lund 16 foot boat in which I took out the middle bench and added a platform in the front similar to those in the thread! Plenty of room for two guys to fish and move around including the necessary gear to chase what I love. I have a 25 horse motor which gets me around my favorite 3-5000 acre lakes just fine. I took "a must for rust" to the trailer as well and sanded the loose paint off primed and painted the trailer. The last thing to do is paint the exterior and thanks to those who posted earlier threads I have a better idea of what to do! So now for a grand total of $1500 and some electronic upgrades coming soon I go do what I love! There is no better feeling when my boat comes out in front of a fancy ranger and I have caught more fish! http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/SJMyers32/HPIM1054.jpg I have since added a bump board made from a 60 inch long 12" diameter pvc pipe, capped, glued, and cut in half with a table saw to my aresenal. I fill it with water when I catch a fish to ensure a safe release, and very safe to their immune system.

I did a recent remodle to a 85 lund 16 foot boat in which I took out the middle bench and added a platform in the front similar to those in the thread! Plenty of room for two guys to fish and move around including the necessary gear to chase what I love.

thats a huge muskie in that pic!! your boat looks exactly like mine from that pic! is yours a S-16 delux like mine? i posted pics of mine earlier in this thread... these old lund boats are awesome and when you re do it and customize it, you take pride in your boat. it may not be fancy and shinny but it sure does catch fish!

can you post any pics of your boat after the remodel?

where is the best place to list a 1970 14 lowe boat for sale. I was thinking in the classifieds here on the forum or c list. It doesn't have a motor or trailer. would listing it for $150 be to much for something that old. I'd like to move it by this spring.

I just wanted to say that safety is a huge factor in restoring boats.If you remove any floatation (bench seats)or floor floatation,make sure after you do your restoration that you do a "float/sink"test.(Replace the square inches removed with the same amount of recommended floatation material.)In the early 80's I reconfigured an f7 Alumacraft.(Took out some benches put in a wood floor)At the time I wasn't aware of floatation/weight ratios.The boat was almost lost north of Vermilion on Trout lake via truck portage on an opening weekend.Luckily everyone made it to shore.Boat was recovered and very hard lesson learned.The vessel has to be able to float in case an emergency.The other thing to consider is the loss of strength when you remove seats/stock ribs etc.Be careful and keep those restoration pictures coming!Open water is just around the corner!c63

I just wanted to say that safety is a huge factor in restoring boats.If you remove any floatation (bench seats)or floor floatation,make sure after you do your restoration that you do a "float/sink"test

Funny you should mention this. I have an older 14' lund that was stored outside year round since the late 80's. Because of this most of the styrofoam under the bench seats is junk. What type of foam would people suggest i use to replace the older styrofoam??? I also would like to take out the middle bench seat, and add a flat floor. Would you suggest putting foam under this middle flooring also to replace the foam lost under the middle bench???

ScoutWBL, I had that same boat! an 81 w/ 50 mercery. It was my grandpas boat and I got it after he passed away. I had it for about 5 years and had to sell it to pay some unexpected bills. Still miss that boat. lots of great memories with grandpa! Mine wasn't in as nice of shape as yours though. That thing looks like new. Congrats!!!

If you can get access to a gravity sprayer that would be the ticket. If you don't go too cheap on paint, you should only have to paint it once. I took and sanded mine down to bare alum. then started from scratch. Here's a couple pics of the process...

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

boatpics.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I am very itnerested in trying to do this my self. how does one go about it? mainly how do i put the floor in? any tips would be awesome!

To JWMiller I would definately post some more pics I originally thought of doing so for an internet post, not having any idea there would be a forum on here! The fish was a 51 good to see her swim away! I have the boat hooked up and ready to go into the garage, now Ill grab a camera and add to this thread! If anyone has questions or comments feel free to drop me a line with my screen name at hotmail dot com. Im not sure what the model of the lund is, was told its a mr pike but I think they are a console boat!

I second the great job and craftsmanship! You would be fine removing the bench.The deck will stiffen it back up for ya anyway.Nice motor ! How do you like the tohatsu brand.I don't see many around.sure looks nice! The 4 stroke would be nice for trolling not so bad with fumes.I backtroll so the 2 stroker gets alittle bit much sometimes.There is also a little more weight there with the 4 stroke engine. oh and 28mph is screamin in a small boat I would kill for that speed!

Actually you probably do see a lot of "Tohatsu" motors. They are the makers of both the Nissan and Mercury motors (below 40 H.P.). Same exact motors only the Tohatsu is cheaper because you end up paying more for the Mercury label/name is all.

where is the best place to list a 1970 14 lowe boat for sale. I was thinking in the classifieds here on the forum or c list. It doesn't have a motor or trailer. would listing it for $150 be to much for something that old. I'd like to move it by this spring.

Either one would work. Whats it look like?

"I am very itnerested in trying to do this my self. how does one go about it? mainly how do i put the floor in? any tips would be awesome!"

Well you may have to be a bit more specific. For the casting deck, I copied Jwmiller with a few mods of my own since our boats aren't the same. We had the opportunity to work simotaniously(sp?) on our boats last spring which was awesome. The lower deck floor is just a vinyl surface that I found on the inet (still have the site if you want it). What type of boat do you have? Also pictures would be helpful as well...

WTBskills ~

in the pics of your boat it looks like you've removed the foam that was under each bench seat. Did you replace it? if so what type of foam did you use & where did you get it from??? if you don't mind

• 2 months later...

Here are some updated photos I meant to put on. Everything is just about done now, but I decided to keep the middle bench for now. Just waiting on a little more carpet for it. I changed the rod holder to be easily removable, because space can be a factor in my boat and sometimes my mother-in-law and wife just like to ride around her lake. I put in some additional storage areas on the sides, which actually makes more room, by keeping things organized. I also ran the battery up to the front of the boat, and got running lights and LED rope lights for the interior hooked up to toggles. Thanks for all of the great inspiration everyone!

DSCF2690.jpg

Here is a closeup of the rod holders-

DSCF2693.jpg

And here is a picture of the boat with them slid out-

DSCF2694.jpg

I made some shelves for some essential items, as well as tuck-away for the plotter cables and 12volt-

DSCF2692.jpg

Couple More shots-

DSCF2698.jpg

DSCF2697.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

And i even installed a bathroom in the remodeling smile

DSCF2695.jpg

I love the rod holder idea. I have been scratching my head for a way to mount one.