• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

went to the rum river this morning and caught a couple smallmouth bass and one little walleye. It is still high but some of the areas to look for a slack water areas. Jigs and twister tail was m weapon of choice.

Was out on Rush from Noon to 4 with the family for Dad's day. A little cruising, fishing and swimming. The water temp was running a tick over 70 and the algae is fairly light but coming on. The curly leaf is alive and strong as ever but will hopefully die back soon.

We found some shallow gills but saw a lot of empty beds in most places. Saw a few small bass working shallow baits on the flats but both bass and pike were scarce. I'd have liked to troll a few runs but the moss and cut weeds floating all over make it a pain so hit a couple places with a Rapala TTM - 10 and casted parallel to the lines of floatsam created by the wind.

Managed to pick up a decent pike. She went the same place as the rest of the fish - back in the drink.

full-17997-34238-image.jpg

went out to a lake east of Milaca on 6/16 and found bass, crappie, sunnies, and walleye all on the weedline or in the weeds...biggest walleye was a nice 20". All fish caught using gulp alive, trigger x, and tube jigs

The river was hot for smallies yesterday and a few eyes. I think I needed to hit up the hospital for some blood because the bugs took most of mine. Jigs with twister tails worked for me, but I think just about anything would have caught them. I should have tried some top water on the slack water but I had one rod with me and did not want to change a good thing. The rain we got this morning will slow things down because the water will be thick again. It also looks like we will get some more rain today because south dakota is getting rocked. The river bite seems to be best when the water is clear.

A friend of mine has been hitting the large mouth hard on Blue lake, Green, and Spec. he is fishing a lot of top water baits and as funny as it sounds he has been using the banjo minnow with success. I am sure any other plastics would catch them as well, but that is what he is using.

I hope everyone came out ok with the storms this morning lots of tree branches and some trees came down. Good Luck!!

• 1 month later...

Wow it has been slow in here. Someone has to have some reports? I am hearing of a good bass bite on Little Elk and Blue. Crappies are still coming off of Green. I have not been out around here for a while now, but hope to change that soon.

My son Joey was fishing on the Rum near Milaca and got a bunch of smallies and a few Eyes. He said it was a constant bite.

The rum has been really good lately, bug dope is still a must, they are ridiculous this year!

Almost forgot to mention that the leeches we got at the new bait store north of Princeton were killer and it helped boat a lot of bull gills a week ago or so and it was great finally meeting you Riverrat316 and I will be back soon to shoot the bull with ya.

Last year I fished the river west of Cambridge with a jig and leech caught a few eyes and a few smallies...thatbeing said I have not been back because the Skeets were so bad I thought I was going to be picked up and carried away!

My question to you guys is what do you do to keep those bugs off you?? I was thinking of covering my whole body in 100 % deet.... What do you do?

Last year I fished the river west of Cambridge with a jig and leech caught a few eyes and a few smallies...thatbeing said I have not been back because the Skeets were so bad I thought I was going to be picked up and carried away!

My question to you guys is what do you do to keep those bugs off you?? I was thinking of covering my whole body in 100 % deet.... What do you do?

clip on a Thremacell and go for it. They work great

Thermacells work great if you can find them, I was trying to get them into the store but seems they are always sold out, I just use OFF, in the spray bottle because normal spray makes me want to throw up.

Well I did not bring the camera out on the rum river but I had a blast fishing a few of the deeper holes. The bugs are still bad, but the water was clear and the smallmouth were going crazy. I caught over 20 smallmouth ranging from 8 inches to 15. I did not measure any but that is my best guess. I did catch 3 walleyes one of which was close to 18 inches the others were maybe 11 or 12. The Northerns seem to be active as I had fish on for a few seconds and ended up losing 3 jigs. I landed one little one that was maybe 14 or 15 inches. All I used was some jigs and twister tails. White seemed to get more fish than yellow or orange.

• 2 weeks later...

Where were you, up near Princeton? Was thinking of taking the boat out of Anoka one of these weekends

I was near princeton fishing the rum river.

• 1 month later...

Was on Green tonight and found the crappie in 24-26 FOW and caught them on tube jigs about 12-14 ft down .

A slow natural fall let me get a limit for the table. pink/white was the color of choice.

Nice work Gordie!! Finally a fishing grin

Was on Green tonight and found the crappie in 24-26 FOW and caught them on tube jigs about 12-14 ft down .

A slow natural fall let me get a limit for the table. pink/white was the color of choice.

I found them the same about 3 weeks ago. I sure wish I had Spot Lock! I found schools of fish but it was hard to stay on them and help my wife with her fish.

• 1 month later...

I hit the ice today and found the ice to be 6-7 inches on Baxter Lake. The fishing was slow at best. I mark about a dozen fish caught 2. I tried downsizing, normal size, and up sizing. Nothing was working. The water looked really clear for Baxter. I met alumacraftguy I hope you do better than I did. I was out from 115 to 3 pm, so I know it was not the best time of day. I fished all the way to the point on the north end and to east side of the lake and back to the middle. I did not see anyone catching many fish either. I wish I better catching report for you all. The one gill I caught was in 7 feet of water and on my inline reel with 2 pound test and a 3mm gold jig. The fish I caught was on on a custom jigs and spin diamond jig in the hook size 10 was white with a waxworm and 4 pound test. Good Luck out on the ice!!

O yeah bring your ice cleats you will want them.

ive been out twice in past 4 days, difficult time marking fish but when I do its been very small perch with very small bites....been in water from 5 ft -30 with 95 percent of holes empty

A friend of mine went out to Little Elk Lake last night and was fishing in 8-9 feet of water last night. He caught 2 walleyes one little that was 10 inches and one that was 15 inches. He also caught 6 crappies that he said were around 9 to 10 inches. I did not get the location he was at on the lake. He was using a glow green and glow red jigs and crappies minnows.

• 3 weeks later...

I having been banging my head into the ice this winter so far, because in 3 trips I have caught 3 fish so far. My game plan for tomorrow is to hit Green first and if that does not pan out well. I will head down to Blue and see if I can find them gills. Then it is a toss up Little Elk or Long. I know the size in Little Elk is not the best but you can normally get some action. I have not fished Long in 5 years I remember catching lots of crappies that were lacking in size.

I did earlier this year and it was not clear like normal. I only caught 1 4 inch crappie. Never marked a fish out there this year. I should check and see if the water has cleared up.

I gave it a good go this morning until 3 pm. First I hit Green Lake in 22 feet of water just out from the access looking for pannies and cut a line all the way into 6 feet. I headed up with 2 4 inch perch. Off to Blue Lake, I went to the small point on the west side of the and started in 17 feet cut a line into 9 feet. 2 perch land about 6 inches, so I headed to a small little bump that tops out at 12 feet cut a few holes around it it. I caught a 6 gills biggest was 7 inches and I lost one crappie that would have been close to 10 inches or so on the vex cord. Fishing was super slow so I headed to Little Elk and boy the perch were hungry there and same with the tiny gills. I caught fish for a hour and decided that I needed to go find some bigger fish. Off to Baxter I did not mark many fish but the ones I did got caught. Biggest gill was 8 inches that a got photo and released. I caught 8 gills on Baxter and 3 perch. 4 of the 8 were of keeper size.

full-12169-40762-gill.jpg

I may go fishing tomorrow but I don't know where yet. I hope you all did better than I did today. Howecver it was a great day to be on the ice. Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

I made it out fishing today and I caught some fish. I was in 27-28 feet of water the fish were coming in about 3 feet of the bottom. I would not say it a good bite, but the fish I caught were of keep able size. I put down a crappies minnow under a float and tossed down every jig and plastic I had. I also used wax worms of some jigs. Only one fish came of a plastic and that a ratso in white. One bite on the float and I missed. All the other crappies came of jigging spoons, and the crappies were crushing the spoon with a minnow head.

I brought home 7 crappies from 10-11.5 inches for my grandma. My grandma is having fresh fish fry with her daughter tomorrow. I caught around 20 crappies most in the 10-11 inch range. I forgot the camera on the table this morning. It was nice to finally be able to use my bump board a little bit.

The snow is adding up on the lakes so make sure you have a head of steam when busting off the main roads. Bring a shovel as well. I had to use mine once today. Good Luck