• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Finally found cooperative 8 inch crappies, it was a long month and was getting sick of 3 inch perch, crappies were much deeper than I expected to be and on the move, only couple per hole.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I made out on the lake this afternoon looking for some big gills but did not find any big ones. Found some nice crappies and gills topped out at around a little over 8 inches. Fishing in 15-18 feet of water. Be careful for the ice is slick and the fog is bad. It took me over an hour to find the access and I know this lake well. The bite was strong and the crappies were really biting but I wanted to try and get off the lake before dark. full-12169-51831-crappie22014.jpg

full-12169-51832-crappie2014.jpg

full-12169-51833-gill12014.jpg

full-12169-51834-hybrid2014.jpg

full-12169-51835-gill22014.jpg

full-12169-51836-gill32014.jpg

Well today I ran into a member of fishing minnesota. It was nice to meet you! Glad I could help ya find a few fish for your daughter. I also meet a group of guys from St. Cloud looking for gills and allowed the tag along.

Now to my report! It is a good one minus the big gills. I fished from 14-18 feet of water. The gills were stacked but they were the smallest average I have ever caught on this lake. Most were in the 4-5 inch range and that is than half of my goal for this winter. I did caught a few eater and this one full-12169-51855-gill5_2014.jpg

The crappies were the fun fish today I got 8 that were almost 11 inches long. I was using Clams maki mino plastic on a pug bug jig. The crappies were attacking this set up. I caught 30 some crappies and only kept 8 for Grandma, because that will give her two meals with fish sandwich the next day. I have a photos but they do not meet the rules of the site, so they will not be posted. I thought I took some on the lake, but I forgot. The crappies were suspended off the bottom 5 to 6 feet and would race up to hit the combo I was using. I would just quiver the tip of the rod and watch it start to load and with soft snap hook set it was a done deal.

I did bring the GPS today and it was a good thing I did the fog came in so thick around 4pm. Good Luck and be safe out there.

ORIGINALLY POSTED IN WRONG THREAD:

Was out at local lake on saturday morning, dropped first line at about 7:45am. As soon as bobber stop hit my bobber, BAM 11 inch crappie. In the first 15 minutes I had 4 10-11 inch crappies on ice. Then caught a small 10 inch eye, after that no more crappies just perch, fished until about 11. From about 8 am to 10am all you could hear is augers and 4 wheelers, not sure how that effected the fishing but they died off around that time. Ice was still nice and thick just very wet

Just watch the ice. If we get snow it could make some hidden holes. The ice was around 8-9 inches that I saw.

Good afternoon,

wanted to know if there are any area's on speck lake to watch out for, springs bad ice etc.. thinking of heading out over the weekend. I know most things run on smaller side, but had success with nice crappies in the spring a while back. I know a very clear lake so thinking of hitting around dark times. any info would be great. Thanks!

I would be careful out there it is the last to freeze.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing well on some Crappies and eater gills. In 18-22 feet of water has been the depth to be. I have lots of fish bigger baits help keep the smaller fish away. Try and get away from the crowd it is all to easy to get sucked into those spots. Look at the maps of the lake and see if there is some smaller areas like the crowded spots. I have been do well working little points they hardly even points just bumps in the depths. Most look for big structure but your missing some great spots. May you all get on a good bite.

It has been a general depth I have been a lots of lakes around the area. I have been on spec once so it would be a good starting depth wink. Only exception is Green I can't get the gills out there. No need to the crappies are going good and ok sized.

well today again the bite was good. I had to make sure to get home to get my honey due list done, so I was not able to sit out all day. I had good action from 8:30-12. Once all the people started coming out it slowed the bite.

The best bait today was the Maki Mino plastic made by Clam. It did not matter what jig it was on. I have been finding that pug bug jig has has a longer shank which allows you to thread the Mino on better and helps prevent short bites. This also helps make the plastics last longer. I was using a Frabil rod which is in the pictures I believe. I tried wax worms and all I caught was tiny gills. full-12169-52085-1_1_2015_1.jpg

full-12169-52086-1_1_2015_2.jpg

full-12169-52087-1_1_2015_3.jpg

full-12169-52088-1_1_2015_4.jpg

full-12169-52089-1_1_2015_6.jpg

full-12169-52090-1_1_2015_7.jpg

full-12169-52091-1_12015_5.jpg

full-12169-52092-1_1_2015_8.jpg

I know some of the dates say 12-31-2014 but I did not fish on Wednesday something was goofy with my camera.

I caught over 30 crappies and had some fun with gills. Most fish were release some of the 7-8 inch gills found my bucket and 10 nice crappies in the 10-11 inch range. Having a fish fry tonight for some friend from England.

Something I noticed today. A truck pulls up to me and asks how much ice is out here. I said 10-13 inches and they think that is enough. The ice took a beating from the warm weather and weakened it. Please give it next week to get thicker before driving out. I have found thin spots with under 10 inches that will not hold a truck.

Well the hot bite died yesterday. The fish were there but just not biting. I tossed everything from a 2.5 mm jig with a euro to the buckshot with a minnow head. The only thing that was catching fish was the Maki Mino on the pug bug and saying it was catching fish makes it seem like I hammering them, but I caught 3 crappies and 5 gills. For 6 hours of fishing. My friend caught one gill and 2 perch. I think today the fish may bite. Good Luck!!

I'm planning on getting out today so the news of the bite dying out is right on time. wink.

Good luck out there everyone!

I had some decent gills in my spear hole yesterday. Do you know if they have them Maki Mino's at FF in Cambridge Moose?

I do not MJ. I know the one in St was picked clean according to my wife. So far the white, pink, and red have worked best. The shiner color has not worked as well for me.

Ok thanks. I'll have to track some down.

Gives me something to do while spearing and I think the added action attracts pike.

full-32630-52124-img_20150103_154737_718

Tracked down some of them Mino's and caught a few decent gills. Sure beats buying wax worms using a couple then have them freeze. Thanks for the tip Mr. Moose.

Happy Birthday MJ!

I looked for some of the Mino baits at St. Francis Bait today and didn't see any. I went with eurolarvae instead since I wanted to try the Genz method of hooking them to see if they became irresistible to the little fishies. Not so much...

The bite was off and interest from the pike was down where we were at. We just managed enough for a meal which I'm enjoying right now.

I also used the magical Maki Mino plastic from Clam and I got a limit of crappies and some gills that got set free for another day. I really am liking the Mino more and more. It has been producing better fish than wax worms lately. I was in 20 feet today because there was so many people out. full-12169-52125-1_2_2015_1.jpg

full-12169-52126-1_3_2015_2.jpg

full-12169-52127-1_3_2015_3.jpg

full-12169-52128-1_3_2015_4.jpg

full-12169-52129-1_3_2015_5.jpg

I just got done frying up 10 crappies and they were so good. I saved enough for fish sandwich tomorrow. The wind sure picked up and you could feel the temp dropping. With all the people driving up and asking how it was going I was having trouble fishing, but that is what it is all about. I helped a few guys out who were looking for walleyes. I hope they get some.

You are welcom MJ and happy birthday!!

Anyone been out fishing in the last few days? I have not, because it has been to cold for me. My plan is to go out fishing tomorrow if all goes as planned unless the wife figures out I want to go fishing, because then she will come up with something for us to do.

I've been spearing the last couple days. Pike action is OK not great. I haven't has a sunfish come through all week.

How much ice do you think we gained this week MJ? I am in need of getting some time on the ice before school starts up again.

I drilled some holes monday and measured 14-15.5 inches.

I've been out almost everyday and have basically had the lake to myself. Ice has really been growling.

Went out today hoping to meet up with a friend, but that did not work out. I did meet a few really nice people on the ice today. One was a fellow Fishing Minnesota member it was great to meet you and I can't wait to chase some gills with you. I saw something cool full-12169-52203-1_11_2015_2.jpg

Caught some crappies it was not a hot bite, but a slow and make them eat it kind of bite. It did pick up towards sunset and it provided enough so my grandma can have 2 more fish dinners. full-12169-52204-1_11_2015_3.jpg

full-12169-52205-1_11_2015_5.jpg

full-12169-52206-1_11_2015_6.jpg

full-12169-52207-1_11_2015_7.jpg

Best bait for gills was a 4mm tungsten jig with a wax worm and for crappies and bigger gills the pug bug and maki mino.