• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Thanks MJ! We are blessed in this area to have a lot of good choices in lakes.

• 3 weeks later...

I went out to Blue Lake today I got set up at about 515 pm in about 30 feet. I marked lots of fish they would chase my baits up and down. I put down a float with a crappies minnow and green glow demon jig. I also jigged with all kinds of jigs. I tried tiny tungsten jigs, the normal size lead ones, and the buckshot rattle spoon in 1/16 oz. Both fish I caught came off the buckshot that glows green. The first onefull-12169-42590-bluelakecrappie1.jpgThe second one

full-12169-42591-bluelakecrappie2.jpg

I fished until 730 I was still marking a few but not as many and no bites the 2 I caught smacked it pretty good.

finally got out after a month of busy, busy, busy,.......the crappies cooperated nicely at sunrise today in 15 FOW they were coming up and smoking the minnows 5 ft up, must be super clear water....

• 3 weeks later...

Any one been out lately? I know the conditions are not the best at this time for chasing gills and crappies around the area. Spring Break starts for me this Thursday, so I be out trying to catch a few fish. If anyone has updates on which lakes have roads and the conditions of those roads. Could you please share your information with the rest of us. Thank You and Good Luck

Nice Crappies Moose.I got to get me one of them measuring contraptions.

Looks like its a rain gutter with a tape glued in the bottom? Seems to work pretty well.

Leech you are close it is 4 inch PVC pipe cut in half. I tried glue the ruler in but it broke loose when it got cold. I went with a construction grade glue for all temperatures. If I did it again I would cut the pipe down because it is hard to fit big gills or crappies in it, because they are to wide.

I had my best day so far this winter on the ice today. I was fishing 13-15 feet of water most fish we off the bottom 3-6 feet. It was a flat but the fish seemed to be hanging around the edge. I I was using st. croix spring bobber rod and that was making the difference in catching fish. I used a custom painted fatboy style jig and a yellow and orange diamond jig from custom jigs and spins. Wax worms and maki plastics where the baits of choice. I caught close to 200 fish today. Many gills were small, but 25 were over 8 inches and the crappies were up to 11 inches. All fish were released and some got photo graphed.

I was People around me did not catch many at all. A couple asked if they could fish near me and I said sure. They were fishing with floats and only caught one fish in 2 hours. They were impressed with angling skills. I showed them the gear I was using and how to use it. full-12169-43193-gill1from3_9_14.jpg

full-12169-43194-gill2from3_4_14.jpg

full-12169-43195-gill3from3_4_14.jpg

full-12169-43196-crappiefrom3_4_14.jpg

what custom painted jig were you using?...lol how was travel on the lake, I am thinking this warm up today should knock down alot of the snow on the lakes and while it will be a mess at least you will be able to get around

A silver and orange special one that got stolen by some pike. Travel was easier today but watch out for hidden drifts. I was thigh deep walking around today. I got some gills for grandma. 12 8 inchers is what my grandma will be eating. I released 3 bulls that were over 9 inches. Same spot as the day before. Boy there was a lot of guys out for Monday. I talked to 2 super nice guys on the lake today. I picked up after the wonderful group of grumpy old man that came out. The plow roads are full of water when I came off the lake.

Lol,The older gentlemen were out on a lake by me too.I was surprised to see around 10 fishermen in a community spot on a Monday.Maybe they cut out of work like me.

Well the bite was much slower today. 13-18 feet of water fish 3-10 feet off the bottom. Felt bad for the guy who went fishing with me seeing the bite was so much better a few days ago. I ended up with a few gills over 9 inches and good number over 8 inches. A few crappies that 9-10 inches. The landing scared me so I walked out. The wind made fishing a challenge. Remember to release some of the big gills , because it would be easy to ruin a population at this time.

The jigs I used today were a custom paint fatboy jig, orange diamond jig, white tungsten. Plastics have not been working for me and I gave them a fair shake again today. Wax worms is what I have been using, however I think using crappies minnows towards evening may put more crappies on the ice. Good Luck out there.

Thanks Nick, still had a fun time even though work wouldn't let up. Lol I still owe ya a couple pics of that really big gill. :-)

After you left caught a few more big ones that I put back as well. We will have to get out again, but might have to wait to see what happens tomorrow. Let me know if you want to get out again. Work is always cutting into fishing time.

I will be heading out very soon to see if the big gills are still biting. It should be another great day on the lake the sun is shining, the wind is not blowing to much, and it is warm out. I am pumped up to catch, photo, and release some more big gills.

I will be heading out very soon to see if the big gills are still biting. It should be another great day on the lake the sun is shining, the wind is not blowing to much, and it is warm out. I am pumped up to catch, photo, and release some more big gills.
How were the lakes after the snowfall?

I drove out without any issues. The landing was smoother than before the snow. Ice was still to the top of the auger. Marked lots of fish yesterday, however getting them to bite was not so easy. I caught a few nice gills maybe 10 over 8 inches. I am not sure if the bite was better earlier in the day seeing I did not get out the lake until around 4pm. The orange and silver jig was better than white yesterday. I found most fish in the 13-15 foot range. I check out to 19 feet and in to 10 feet with nothing coming from anything but 13-15 feet. The fish would chase the jigs up and down. I tried some 2.5mm tungsten jigs and the fish did not want the down sized stuff. I was fishing with a HSO member and he tried jigging spoons and crappies minnows. The best was 3mm-4mm jigs or the orange and silver fatboy style jig. I tried red, orange, yellow, black, pink, blue, and green. I am hoping when this snow melts off it will get the fish going back on the munch. Good Luck

Yesterday I loaded up the fish house, heater, and aqua view. Of coarse I had the vexliar as well. I set up in 13 feet of water just off a weed edge. I had been noticing some big marks towards sunset on my last few outings that would not bite. I thought those may have been crappies, but I was wrong. They were some of the biggest gills, I have seen around. I landed one of those gills that hit the 10 inch mark.

It was the first time downsizing has working for me. I went down to a 2.5 mm tungsten jigs tipped with wax worms. I also rigged up one of my st croix spring bobber rods up with 2 pound test. However I think this lake with its clear water might be a lake 1 pound test might work better, because them big gills would eye my bait for long time. I might have to try some other live bait options that are smaller profile as well.Then a smaller fish would race in and suck it in. The biggest gills would not bite, but the ones under 9 inches would. I tried plastics as well and the fish would just look at them a few would nibble on the end, but would not eat it. I did get a few crappies mixed in as well all fish were released. Please release practice Catch and Release with big Gills. Good Luck to you

I hit the ice again yesterday with Eyeguy and Jeremy from the St. Cloud forums. We tried hard but just could not get find the big ones. Maybe we did but they would not bite. I got a couple fish in the 7-7.5 inch range to bring to my grandma. Jeremy the biggest one you had was 8 and 1/4. Caught lots of little fish in the 2-6 inch range. 12-17 feet of water. Thanks to Eyeguy and Jeremy for coming over and going fishing with me. It was great to meet you guys. I may give it a try later today, but the honey do list needs some tending. Tomorrow I will be out to try my luck again.

Yeah,I keep telling Eye guy that we should all go out on the boat sometime and chase some bass on that lake.When the water opens up,give us a jingle. smile

Sounds good Jeremy

was on backyard lake for 4 hours sat am. first 3 holes in 8-16 FOW found lookers but no takers. decided to hit the road so to speak & venture out other locales on to just explore and have fun. found few pockets of smaller gils but hoping for better sizes. then set up in a pocket between 4-16 ft deep, nothing shallow gils were piled up in 12 FOW and were biting. I used up rest of my live bait for season then practiced with plastics. A neon green gulp alive plastic minnow head drove them nuts and even started icing the larger ones in the school(6-1/2-7 1/2), all were released, tried other plastics as well (even different colored minnow heads) but the green neon was the ticket. was hoping for some stragler crappies but no luck. ice still as thick as auger blade but the walk was great as well as listening to the birds all alone.

nice report Amateur.

The Gills are on FIRE I caught so many fish today. My right pant leg was soaked in fish slim. Wax Worms have been working well, but I have not tried anything else. I caught fish from 10 feet to 19 feet of water. The fish would come all the way up to 3 feet below the ice to hit the jig. My special jig color worked well which I will tell you all is Orange and Silver in the fatboy jig style. I tend to lose these jigs at an alarming rate. Good news for the bait shop. White with pink was hot for a while as well. I up sized the jig size from 3mm to the fatboy hook size 10 I think and tungsten to 4mm or 5mm. I was using my St. Croix Legend with 4 pound test line. Talked to some really nice people on the lake today. I have to say it is great run into nice people.

Did Grandma get some dinner today? Nice info on the jig sizes Monstermoose.I should experiment a little on that too if I go out this week..

Great report Mm smile gills were hot for me today as well. Which springs are you using on your ledgend?