• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Wow it was crazy how many people were out fishing yesterday. It was another great day of fishing for me. I watched all the people flock into the groups of big houses. I just sat there and giggled and I hoped they were catching fish like I was. I tried a lighter Pug Bug Jig the 1/64 oz with the Maki Mino and it worked great. I tried the lighter jig thinking it would allow the blue gills to suck it in easier. I do think a little bigger hook would help with better hook ups with crappies. I am not saying I did not hook a lot of them but it seemed I did not get the hook in them as well. full-12169-52274-1_17_2015_1.jpg

full-12169-52275-1_17_2015_9.jpg

full-12169-52276-1_17_2015_8.jpg

I still do not understand why camera changes the date in the middle of the day. I am thinking I might try a chubby darter or a ripping rap next time. I will also keep looking for gills. I am sure I will hook into a big one soon enough and my new measuring board will here soon. grinfull-12169-52277-1_17_2015_3.jpg

For those who do not know me this is an 11 inch crappie being a SASQUATCH stinks for taking photos of fish, but I am ok with it. A friend of mine brought his boys and they gave me a hard time for using a pink pole and reel.

There is a good crappie bite going on Long Lake in 8-10 feet. Crappie minnows with a white or yellow jig. Green Lake is still kicking out Crappies and a few walleyes. Depth depends on what time you are out there. Deep during the day and not so deep after dark. Blue Lake is giving up some crappies in 20+ feet of water and some have said the deeper the better. Baxter is still giving up some gills and crappies for those willing to hole hop. My cousin went to Fanny Lake and did well on crapppies he did not give me a depth. Lory lake I have not heard much about it lately, so that normally means there might be a bite. Little Elk is another lake that not much information is coming from, but I do people fishing in it and they are tight lipped. Ann Lake west of Zimmerman has been giving up some gills but they are on the smaller side and some pike. Heard South Stanchfield is slow at best. Lake Francis has some people out there but my buddy who lives on the lake said they partying more than fishing in his opinion. Hope this helps some of you out.

Sorry OakGrove that is not a lake I have fished. Looks like it could be an okay lake to give a shot. Good Luck if ya go out there.

I live in Elk River and I want to take my wife fishing tomorrow. Does anyone know of a lake that

1. is safe to drive a full size truck on

2. A place where we can have some action. Not worried about size of the fish, just something to keep her entertained smile

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TheSpur scroll up and check the lakes I mentioned all of the are good to go for driving. Long would be my choice for a good bite the fish are running small but you can get enough keeper for fish fry. The action should keep your wife busy.

Went out today and had a blast teaching a friend how to use a vexilar. I need to thank my dad for letting me borrow his vexilar to allow my friend to use mine. It was fun watching him finally get the timing down using plastics. He is going to going to buy all the gear I let him use today. He wants the same rod a Frabil Quicktip rigged up with 3 pound test and a pug bug and Maki Mino. He wanted to buy my vexilar but I told him it was not for sale.

Depth was 7-9 feet. White with red flake Maki Mino was the best color. I tried all of the other colors and did not do nearly as well.

Yes that would be the lake.

There is a snowmobile race today on Long, so we are going to try Blue. I can't thank you enough for the recommendations. I haven't live in the area too long, so I don't know the lakes around here. Hopefully we have some luck. Thanks again.

If Blue is to crazy check Baxter Lake that connected to Blue Lake. Baxter is north and east of Blue about half mile.

We tried Blue yesterday and caught one perch. Granted it was our first time on the lake so I didn't know the best spot to be at. It was really busy out there. Any day on the lake is a good day however. I think we might try Baxter next time.

Well I went out this morning for a while!! I should have been working my Resume and cover letter, but it was so nice out. I can do that stuff when the weather is crappy. Anyways back to the report the fish were there, but did not seem to be as willing to slurp up my Maki Plastics today. I know I could have tried wax worms or euros but I didn't. I did try other colors of the Maki Mino today and caught a few on the Fathead color and pink. White did seem to catch most of the fish at the beginning. Okay I know I will take some grief of my beautiful fishing pole. full-12169-52391-1_26_2015_1.jpg

I did have some fun pulling in a few crappies and couple gills. full-12169-52392-1_26_2015_2.jpg

full-12169-52394-1_26_2015_3.jpg

full-12169-52395-1_26_2015_4.jpg

I lost my jig after this gill to a pike. I almost cried. full-12169-52396-1_26_2015_5.jpg

I went out for a little bit today. I needed to get my new tool used. I am still using Maki Mino plastics and today I tried the shiner color, watermelon with red flake, and white with red flakes was the best. Lots of marks not so many biters, but still not bad for only being out for 3 hours. full-12169-52446-10_30_2015_2.jpg

full-12169-52447-1_30_2015_3.jpg

full-12169-52448-1_30_2015_4.jpg

full-12169-52449-1_30_2015_5.jpg

full-12169-52451-1_30_2015_6.jpg

No monster gills today. Good Luck

From the reports I have got.

Green Lake is still doing well for Crappies with fewer walleyes being put in the bucket. The crappies are some of the better sized as for avg from around the area.

Blue Lake has been slow and it is showing lots of house have come off the lake when I drove around on Saturday.

Baxter has gave a few gills and pike in 4-6 feet. The gills are biting light and the pike are hitting shiners.

Lory Lake the crappies are small with only a few of them being big enough to get into the bucket. Some eyes have been caught and few gills have been big enough as well.

Ann Lake west of Zimmerman had a solid crappie bite but the photos I saw the crappies looked kind of small. 8 inches maybe. Lots of tiny gills to keep you busy. He said no gills big enough to keep.

Elk Lake finally heard the crappies were going pretty good you will need to pick through them to get some keepers. Gills are active during the day and you can get some 7 inchers. Not many walleyes being caught out there.

Long Lake still is good bet for crappies but they also on the small side, but you can get some near 10 inches. Have not heard much about gills from there or eyes. I heard the pike are good at eating crappie minnows.

Spec Lake near Green Lake has been slow as normal. A few pike is all I heard being caught.

South Stanchfield has been slow for perch and crappies.

Skogman Lake was good to my cousin for crappies and he gave me a depth 24 feet has been the depth for him.

Heard Rush lakes are still okay if you can find some areas that are not as fish as much so look at map and find a place where there is not many others.

Ann Lake closer to Mora has been doing ok for good sized gills and few crappies.

Knife Lake has been giving up some of the better sized gills. Please remember to let them gills over 8 inches go so we can keep having nice sized gills. The crappies they have been catching up there have been 9-11 inches. sounds like 9 feet of water will give you both kinds of fish.

Hey who else is out there fishing?

Boy was it beautiful day out on the ice. The fish did not want to bite that great but they kept me busy most of the time. full-12169-52526-2_7_2015_1.jpg

full-12169-52527-2_7_2015_2.jpg

full-12169-52528-2_7_2015_3.jpg

full-12169-52529-2_7_2015_4.jpg

Got bit off a few times from pike. Not much for size today. O well that is why they call it fishing.

Well not much for fishing reports coming in. Due to the weather that we have had.

Ann Lake west of Zimmerman is kicking lots of gills, but you will need to have lots of bait to get some keepers.

Green Lake is still on for crappies keys have been getting away from the groups. Walleyes can still be had if you are willing to work for them a little.

Lory Lake smaller crappies have been biting and few nice eyes and gills.

Little Elk is having a good gill bite with enough keeper sized fish mixed in. The crappies are the Little Elk Lake specials 9 inches is a good one.

Long Lake off of Highway 47 is still the best crappie bite I am hearing about. It is worth tossing a tip up or rod with heavier line and a sucker minnow as the pike being caught.

Fannie Lake is still producing crappies for my cousin in 24-25 feet of water.

That all of the reports I have got so far.

Well this cold snap kept most of the people I know indoors.

The people with fish houses on the lakes caught few crappies and little walleyes from Green. That is all I got for reports as of late.

I will be out on Mille Lacs chasing Perch this weekend with by brother. Good thing he is bringing his wheelhouse so I can leave him with his TV and I can go fish.

Good Luck all.

Went to rush last weekend and caught 27 keepers ..including 1 8 inch bluegill ..bite should be getting good towards this late ice

• 2 weeks later...

I got out yesterday for bit and caught some crappies and gills. Plastics seemed to bring the bigger fish for me. I meet up with 2 other members for here. None of us hammered em but we caught some fish and BSed for little bit. No pictures seeing I forgot my camera on the table.

no camera??? I bet you got skunked. wink

anyone go to West Rush in last few days? how is the access holding up? Lots of water, I'm sure. Any good perch? never see any that are over 6 inces out there.

I hung it up for the year in this area. If I go out it would be north and west of here.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a little report for you all. I went to looking for turkeys and to also check some of the first spots that get gills and crappies in them. Well I did not find any turkeys, but the fish are in the super shallow areas feeding. It helps if the sun is out, because it gets the little bugs or what ever they are eating moving. I went 5 fish for 5 casts. I would have stayed longer but had to try and find some turkeys and check other spots. Good Luck, get out and get that ultralight to bend.

Has anyone else been out fish? With the a warmer weather predicted for the weekend and sunshine it will be worth bringing that ultra light out. Let's get some photos and reports rolling in.

Reports are coming!! Knife lake is starting to give up crappies and gills same with the following lakes Ann off highway 47, green, eagle near big lake, Long, Lori, Blue, Little Elk Lake, Ann west of Zimmerman, Twin Lake by Nowthen, and Baxter. It is time to get out and get fishing. Please remember selective harvest of these big panfish. Keep the smaller ones 7-8 inch gill or crappies under 12 inches.