• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Excursion 2010 April 16-18

Andy Loos1431189100

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Matt C

• Eric Wettschreck

• DTro

You too Kirk!

One of my highlights of the past few years is chatting with you guys the first night and seeing you kind of bummed out because of the slow action, and us consoling you and assuring the bite would be better the next day, and then seeing a complete 180 in the bar the next night with all the great stories.

Good Times...

Yep, that's been awesome. I'll be up there 4/20-4/25. How do you guys think this early melt will affect the fishing?

Will miss you up there Kirk. I remember the first year you were there. If my memory serves me well, you guys had a good trip and did very well on the sturg.

HL - Anyway we can get Jewel to ship to Wigwam on the 18th? I am sure quite a few flats could disappear and it would save them $$, and all of us....

As long as it is in the United States - we can usually ship it there. We shipped our first crawlers this week - and we'll be sending more out starting Tuesday next week. Might even have leeches available on the 18th! Traps went in today on one of our ponds...

Thanks for the fast response! We (my group) normally buys 2 flats on the way up, but 1 less stop sure would be worth it.

Put me down for 2 flats!

I'll call in the morning with payment/wigwam resorts address.

Sounds great! I'll be out and about in the early part of the morning - but back in around 10.

The wife and I are having a lazy Sunday morning watching fishing shows on the Sportsmans channel. She looked over at me and asked if she should make some of her world famous venison chili for this event.

She's never been sturgeon fishing before.

I told her the boats are pretty close together and if she want's to smell it all day to go ahead.

She declined. grin

In regards to bait, don't forget, one can also use emerald shiners along with crawlers.

In the past the emeralds have worked well.

Thanks for the fast response! We (my group) normally buys 2 flats on the way up, but 1 less stop sure would be worth it.

Put me down for 2 flats!

I'll call in the morning with payment/wigwam resorts address.

Cake, did you get some crawlers or not?

Let me know ASAP as I called my bait dealer today and have two flats on the way as well.....

If you've got a name of someone up there that should watch for them, that would be wise too. Better to be safe, and make sure they get put in a cooler or fridge.

Good news everyone!!! Jewell Outdoors is offering 5% off flats of crawlers for this event. You can contact them by clicking here!!!!!

Make sure you let them know you are a member of HSO and heading to the Sturgeon Excursion.

Yes, I'm now officially excited. More than anything, just looking forward to some time away from the daily grind. Yanking in giant fish with friends is a bonus.

How many crawlers do you think a boat of three hits will need? I was wondering if a flat would be to much.

Iceman

I have in the past years used close to a flat for 3 people in the boat. If one does run low, you can also use emerald shiners which you should be able to purchase at a local bait shop there.

If you have not purchased them yet, check out the post above from Jewell Outdoors. They are a sponsor on HSO and they will ship them to you or to the motel you are staying at on the LOW's.

They have a good price on crawlers. I also believe if you mention to them when you order that you are with HSO, you will recieve an additional discount of 5%. Can't beat that.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Tom, Jr and the rest of the crew are pumped.

That was a Beckman Mark the NetMan broke. He knew better then to lift it like that.

Its fixed and is better then new. It was his net btw. smile

Eric, are you going to be my extreme net man???????

The boat is ready and has been test run. Now we only need to get our lines in the water.

The camera and adrenaline were rolling. I was trying to get the money shot, then the net breaks. Doooooh! This year we break the 60 inch mark grin BC

Help...... I'm reading this thread with interest.... and itching to get there to fish for those giant sturgeon, but am I reading the regulations book wrong? Season for sturgeon on the Rainy River opens on April 24th, not the 17th weekend of the "Excursion"?????

Sorry for my ignorance, but want to make sure I have the right dates?

Thanks....

i am pumped i am losing sleep already. this will be my first excursion and cant wait tell thursday night wen we pack up the truck and head north. see ya al there!

iceman

See you soon BC.

Mark, I was wondering if Franks fish will also break the net?

Yah right Tom. His fish are usually so small they slip through the holes of the net. Looking forward to seeing you and Eric again. BC

Help...... I'm reading this thread with interest.... and itching to get there to fish for those giant sturgeon, but am I reading the regulations book wrong? Season for sturgeon on the Rainy River opens on April 24th, not the 17th weekend of the "Excursion"?????

Sorry for my ignorance, but want to make sure I have the right dates?

Thanks....

You have the right dates; you can fish for sturgeon catch and release prior to the season opening.

marine_man