• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Reno Fishing Reports

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chad Peterson

• beer batter

• WallyGader

• Rymann

I havent heard of really any good reports coming off of reno. Are the fish not biting this year, did all those nice panfish get fishout out. Usually a good lake this time of year.

I think your right. This lake got pounded big time the last 3 or 4 winters and also the Summers. Panfishing has been pretty tough all over though. Things should pick up good about the time permanents have to be off.

Here's you problem: This year, something weird happened. The panfish decided to stay in deeper water. Therefore, the bay on Reno that is normally plump full of panfish was empty! By March, I think that the lake will be in full swing.

It would be good if they got left alone for a couple of years and got a chance to flourish. The lake is changing every year and there is more and more weeds popping up out there which will only help the panfish population. We will probably never get to see how good that lake could be because of over harvesting.

The problem was they got totally anilated last year and the numbers are way down. Hopefully the ones that are left dont come into the bay, so they can get a population back. Way to much freezer filling was being done out there. Hopefully some people will learn that if they keep taking them home, there will be none for next year.

I am just wondering how Maple has been doing this year? I have been thinking about heading out there but was wondering if its worth it? I am looking to get into some panfish for my frying pan. Thanks for any input.

Reno is due for the DNR to survey this summer. It will be interesting to see what the results are. I am not sure about "the fish are all in the deep water" theory. I fish the lake very often and I do not see how the number of sunfish and crappies taken out of the lake last year could not affect the population. Has anyone had any luck on panfish in the last couple weeks?

I also would be very curious to see the survey. This lake got destroyed last year and will probably be another 4 years before the fish bounce back..

Spent 4 hours yesterday pulling 3 fish houses, a blown 6 wheeler, and multiple stuck pickups (including my own). Water starting coming up through the holes making for a thick, greasy slush everywhere. Thankfully we got everything off the ice before this snow really started.

Fishing was very slow. 2 rattles all weekend, nothing caught on a jig.

i never have fished that lake before until yesterday. Didnt even knowwhere to start so I fished in the bay off of 29, shiger would get excited a few times but only because the little perch were peckin at him. I caught 5-6 perch with only 1 being over 5 inches.. maybe i'm just not in the right spot?

i never have fished that lake before until yesterday. Didnt even knowwhere to start so I fished in the bay off of 29, shiger would get excited a few times but only because the little perch were peckin at him. I caught 5-6 perch with only 1 being over 5 inches.. maybe i'm just not in the right spot?

That's about run of the mill for this year. Slow has been the norm.

I'm thinking that the fish have mainly been comsumed, but whatever fish are left are definitely not in the shallows yet. It seems like all the lakes I've normally fished aren't the same. Take Lady Lake for example. I had to move out into a 22 foot deep flat to find my panfish. Now they are gone. Hopefully it bounces back in a few years, and good luck to everybody who fishes Reno!

• 3 months later...

I personally wasn't out there but have a good friend who was there along with others in their group in a second boat. Nothing going. Spoke to others at the landing and they had the same report.

Was out from 630am until about 400pm on Saturday and did not catch a fish. Fished many different spots and gave it a really good effort with nothing to show. I witnessed maybe 6 fish caught all day in various places on the lake.

Was out yesterday and fished for 4 1/2 hours from 12 to 25 ft. with no bites. I marked very few fish as well. I fished primarily on the south side of the lake where we have had good luck in the past. Maybe it will turn on later. We did talk to one boat that had been there on the opener and they didn't catch any fish then or yesterday.

Was out on Reno the evening of the opener, 11 people - 3 boats. Dragged jig/shiner, jig/fathead, spinner/crawler, spinnner/shiner, lindy/shiner, lindy/leech, and trolled rapalas across the western 2/3 of the lake. No bites, and never saw a fish caught. Even downsized trying to catch some of those 4 inch perch that were everywhere the past 3 years. Nothing. It was eerily quiet out there.

Fished Reno Thursday evening from about 6 to 8. Caught two 15 inchers on the SE side in about 14 feet of water on a jig and shiner.

Those are some dandy crappies...

Going by your handle I'd assume that, I realize you meant walleyes, which those are fine eaters naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Fished Reno last weekend with no success.Tried everything from deep to shallow and a few bass and northern but that was it. Wondering if anybody else has had success for walleye this year yet? If so, no spots needed, just a general idea where to start. It's been hit so hard over the past several years wondering if this has a big impact or if the fish are there but just not biting yet???

Thanks for any info.

I have not heard any good reports from Reno...except for crappies recently. Don't know where however but sounds like they are getting into some.

Fish On!

Fished reno the last 2 weekends and the eye bite is very slow, if you catch 1 your doing well. As for the crappies the males were up on the beds on memorial weekend, and as of last weekend they have moved out. Only reason I want to try and make it back up now is to shoot some carp.

Thanks for the updates. I agree that the walleye bite is extremely slow. I may have to switch gears and go for some crappies it sounds.

If anybody does have any tips on getting a few walleyes on Reno, I would greatly appreciate it. I will post of any success for either walleyes or crappies when I go this weekend.

Thanks,

It will be a busy weekend on reno with the walleye tournament on Saturday. I suggest you stop by the weigh-in at the Green Iguana around 2:30 to see if walleye are being caught on the lake or not.

went to the weigh in on reno 52 boats 8 hours of fishing 1/2 the boats didnt bring in one fish!!! winning boat i believe had 4 fish 14lbs.. there were some really nice fished caught but talking to most of the guys that caught fish said that when they put the fish in the livewell the bigger fish 5-6 lbs fish were spitting up 4-6 small perch..so now i know why the bite is slow on reno

There were only 40 fish caught total in the tournament. heard the same thing for the previous weekend tournament on reno. It's a tough bite, but there are definitely walleyes out there if you can find them.