• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake Fishing Reports

notsogoodfisherman

We are taking a group of kids out today. Hoping to drive out with a couple bigger SUVs, but wanted to check ice thickness and best access point to avoid any trouble areas. Any help would be appreciated.

public access in front of bait shop is probably the easiest to access lake and get to a decent spot for fish. good luck. the yellow house out there seems to be where everyone sets up around. its shallower i know that. i fished the 20 foot hole thats near the yellow house.

• 2 weeks later...

full-49143-52883-img_3774.jpg

Caught this hog in 3 feet of water last Friday night. Good end to the ice fishing season here on ML!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey medman, you still seeing some white crappies out there? I only got a couple out there when I used to live next to the lake but they were big. I remember you pulling in a few over the years to.

I haven't caught/seen a White Crappie out there in years. The DNR haven't picked any up in any of there surveys in years as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been driving by after work a few days this week and checking the webcam from Harty's. Saw a few folks walking out from the park on the south east and in front of the Harty's access. Anyone have updates in ice conditions?  

Anyone else itching to get out there over the holiday weekend to try out their new Christmas presents?

There was a bit more activity out there today with some fish houses and quite a few kite boarders cruising around the shallows. I saw 4-5" where I was walking around. Hoping to get out in the portable tomorrow and see what's biting.

Edited by TBone15

Any updates? I've seen a lot of people out and hope to be one of them this weekend. I assume the bite should be decent about now. 

I got out Tues. Plenty of ice out from the beach to the edge of the break (as far as I went). Bite was slow, at least for me. Nice to finally get out, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out Saturday morning-afternoon, and Sunday afternoon-evening. Good fishing on Saturday but man was Sunday slow! The lake was VERY crowded, to be expected on a nice weekend, but I was shocked at the amount of people out there. Two of us caught around 25 typical 7-9" Medicine crappie Saturday and threw them all back. Couldn't buy a bite Sunday but also couldn't get on any spot I wanted to be on. Lots of people driving full size rigs out there, but there was ~12" of ice with the top 2" milky ice. Couldn't pay me to drive out yet and it was a little unnerving to see so many vehicles parked close together on the ice in 30"+ of water. Be safe out there people and be smart. For your sake and for the sake of others around you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't fishing the side of the lake where they typically are but I guarantee they would be since I've seen them when it's below 0F! Tons of snowmobilers, ATVers and even a dirtbiker haha 

Saw a pretty fair numbers of full size vehicles on the ice yesterday.  Are we still talking about 12 inches of ice, or have things improved?  We caught a few smaller crappie a week ago, after dark.  Glow jigs in 27 fow, no special color, as none did better than any other.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any current info on Medicine? Ice thickness? Driving? Hoping to get out this afternoon and wanna know if I should plan on a pull. Thanks!

Plenty of ice, conditions good. Couldn't get the gills to cooperate, missed a flag. Managed a limit of crappie in 30fow from 5 til pert near 10pm. Slow bite, near bottom. Mostly on bomb spoon w/minnow head. Few on minnow on a set line.

5 hours ago, Pigmeat said:

Didn't actually measure. If I had to guesstimate I'd say 18". Somebody said 20, but . . .

Really I haven't found anywhere near that much ice around the metro I was on 13 last week on a lake with 0 snow and its a fairly shallow lake.

I measured 18".  But I was setup very close to the plowed road.  I didn't explore that much, but I would suspect that the ice is somewhat thinner further away from the plowed areas because of the snow cover that insulated the ice from the cold temperatures a little while back.

Edited by DaveyG

the access gate is closed.looks like the rain has created a lake of its own according to the web cam.

Edited by crappie todd

I ended up taking the shack off the lake today. The weather is already affecting the ice-- particularly at the access. And it's gonna be warm for a little bit. So the ice will get worse. If I hadn't taken it off today the access might have become unusable.

Please be very cautious on the ice as I believe Mother Nature has just about ended any more driving on the lakes. Be very careful if you have a permanent to remove. Stay safe my Friend's