• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake Fishing Reports

notsogoodfisherman

I've gotten out twice this year with so-so results. A couple of nice pike in the afternoons on tip-ups. Some small crappies, and a few little 'eyes. The 'eyes have been tougher to find the last few years. Probably due to so many people hearing about the lake having them.

I've been going out on the west side, but getting away from the crowd and fishing other breaks and structure than what is right off the access.

I did have an annoying experience with a couple of dads and a bunch of kids on skates with sticks, though. I was the only house set up on the east side of "the claw", and they thought that skating right around me, clacking sticks and shooting pucks all over the place right before sunset was a good idea. Literally within 5-10 feet of me, and some of the kids were even looking through the windows and using their sticks to push the slush back into some of the holes I had drilled close to the house (I planned to do some hole hopping after it got dark, and also move my tip up).

I got out and gave the dads a nasty look, and they laughed it off. In my more volatile days it would have gotten ugly. Instead I decided it was not worth it, though. They did head out a few minutes after that, though... There was a ton of "unoccupied" ice on that end of the lake, and the ice was much smoother farther out. I was pretty irritated.

There are laws against hunter harrassment, and it makes me wonder if there are laws about harrassing other sportsmen? Anyone know?

Was out yesterday afternoon, ice was good about 6-8 depending on where you were, but you could tell by 5 or so it was starting to get soft. Went out past the weed line at French Park landing. Lot of perch, set a tip up out a little further to try and get a nice northern but nothing. May go out if the ice is good with warm temps over night and into today it my be a little sketchy. Talked to the lady at Hardy's said that people are catching fish but she wouldn't give me any specifics. (I didn't thinks she wanted to scare us away) In my eyes even catching small perch is more fun than not fishing at all.

Went out last night for a couple hours and caught about 20 crappies between three guys. The bite was weird. Some quick, aggressive strikes that would pull the bobber down and it would shoot back up and it was like they were just sitting there with the bait in their mouth. It was a much softer, slower strike when we went out last week. We forgot the wax worms at home so we were using minnows only, unfortunately. We were sitting in about 33ft. We wanted to find our spot from last week in 28ft but it was too dark when we were walking out. Still nothing of size but enough action to keep us busy for a couple hours. Bite was really slow after about 8:30 I'd say and we were the last ones on the ice so I'm guessing others felt the same way the later it got.

I went saturday and yesterday targeted crappies saturday was a blast bought a lake map set mt gps and went me and the gf absolutely pounded crappies a lot of small ones but ended up limiting out after catching about 50. Yesterday it was slower caught about 15 and kept 7 moved a little shallower and thr fish seemed bigger. Before I found this spot I fished this lake with no luck at all but now it's not so bad just wish the fish were bigger!!!!!

Was out tonight onmedicine me and joe harty made the news. Wcco was out doing interviews was pretty cool anyways caught crappies then decided to gps a new spot verify some small eyes and had a slab on got off tho didn't get a good look but it was nice hopefully better luck tomorrow!7!!

Well medicine is medicine, I was out on the 13th in about 10-11 inches of ice on the east side. Caught 20ish non keeper crappies in about 30 feet of water suspended from the bottom all the way up to 15'. I am going to fish that hump that's out from the park for eyes tomorrow night. Is there a spring there? Anyone safety tips on that side of the lake?

I went to Nokomis last night behind the airport in the hunt for walleye and ended up with a dozen non keeper crappies. I worked the hump by the north yacht docks pretty vigorously to no eye avail. A man and his son caught and kept a 10 inch walleye they snagged in the area, but other than that they only caught tiny perch.

Anyone know of a good metro walleye lake on the West side of town? I am contemplating a venture out to Phalen on the East end but want to wait till I can drive out, since I don't need my Jeep ransacked while I'm out fishing.

People still not driving out of Harty's? looks like from the webcam. heard people driving on waconia last night and its way bigger than medicine. Gotta be a foot of ice by now?

Well medicine is medicine, I was out on the 13th in about 10-11 inches of ice on the east side. Caught 20ish non keeper crappies in about 30 feet of water suspended from the bottom all the way up to 15'. I am going to fish that hump that's out from the park for eyes tomorrow night. Is there a spring there? Anyone safety tips on that side of the lake?

I went to Nokomis last night behind the airport in the hunt for walleye and ended up with a dozen non keeper crappies. I worked the hump by the north yacht docks pretty vigorously to no eye avail. A man and his son caught and kept a 10 inch walleye they snagged in the area, but other than that they only caught tiny perch.

Anyone know of a good metro walleye lake on the West side of town? I am contemplating a venture out to Phalen on the East end but want to wait till I can drive out, since I don't need my Jeep ransacked while I'm out fishing.

during open water, i had alot of success with small walleyes under the bridge. dont know how much of a change it will be during the winter though.

The ice on medicine is not even close to ready for vehicles yesterday I found spots with anywhere from six-ten inches most of the lake has close to 10 but like I said there are some spots in front of the beach and harts with chitty ice seen one four wheeler yesterday if I had a wheeler if be out but just watch the shallow areas don't know why but those are the areas with not so god ice that I've seen but the lake is getting better everyday hope to be driving out soon!!

10.5" where i was today the access in the park is bad, looked good when i went out when i came back there was water on top of the ice not sure if it was from the wheeler that went out and busted it up or just ice shifting

People still not driving out of Harty's? looks like from the webcam. heard people driving on waconia last night and its way bigger than medicine. Gotta be a foot of ice by now?

Medicine can be sketchy for driving any time of season.

lots of springs in there.

We went out on Sunday night and had very good luck on crappies. We caught probably 50+ crappies between three people. Waxworms were working for me even well into the dark with a glow jig. Very fun night! Haven't caught that many fish in awhile. We were in about 27-28ft but it seemed like there were a lot of fish suspended. I would lift my bait up to where they were on the depthfinder and slowly drop it back down jigging it lightly. That seemed to trigger some bites.

Even caught some sunnys and a couple decent perch before dark.

I'm thinking we're fairly safe to drive light vehicles out now maybe I'll be the tend setter tonight. Or maybe not now that I read a few posts up. Every where I yesterday had a solid ten, but if ppl are finding six still that's going to be a danger. I ended snagging several huge yellow bullheads on the channel on the East side if you like that sort of thing. Sorry my phone reacts poorly to typing on this forum

any recent updates on the ice i have a camper/fish house i want to get out but don't have a wheeler hoping i can drive my f-150 out this weekend

I don't know about a camper plus F150. Maybe just a F150. I am in the same situation too. I wouldn't feel ok with it until 15 or 16 inches of solid ice EVERYWHERE. But that is just me. I had 11 inches, but that was Tuesday night. Let us know what u decide to do!!

I have opened my access but I still need to bust down the ridge some more. 4wd will make it over if you take an angle at it. I plowed a parking lot on the ice that is froze to the bottom. Have not seen anyone driving around yet. I'm leary of that right now but I'm sure we'll see smaller vehicles going from point A to point B, but no carefree cruisin the lake in my opinion. Also, the West Beach gate got unlocked today. Stay safe.

Joe Harty

Harty's Boats & Bait