• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Gordie

• merkman

• bassNspear

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend is going to get some photos put on here for me.

I went out today and had 10 northerns come in. They were all small but it was great for my friends 9 year old girl I had with.

Everyone of them came in nice and slow and hung around with three of them grabbing my sucker.

The only way I had any success of bringing them in the last two days was to use my live decoy only.

Things like that is what causes me to be so interested in pike spearing.

Well fellaz, went out today got into some real nice sunfish action from 10-1030 then the northerns came in and scared them all away. Waxworms brought in the fish again, i tried the spoon and a couple decoys but the worms are where it has been for me. I seen a monster skirt the hole today to grab a sunfish looking at my bait it was pretty exciting.

A friend is going to get some photos put on here for me.

I went out today and had 10 northerns come in. They were all small but it was great for my friends 9 year old girl I had with.

Everyone of them came in nice and slow and hung around with three of them grabbing my sucker.

The only way I had any success of bringing them in the last two days was to use my live decoy only.

Things like that is what causes me to be so interested in pike spearing.

do they have teeth?

this time of year the pike can lose some of there teeth,

Ive speared some with lost teeth but most that I ve speared have them. so is it a old wifes tale or not?

I'm not a biologist so I'm not answering this one whistle

this time of year the pike can lose some of there teeth,

Ive speared some with lost teeth but most that I ve speared have them. so is it a old wifes tale or not?

I'm not a biologist so I'm not answering this one whistle

Wives tale

Pike do lose teeth but replace them regularly and always have an efficient set.

I've found more teeth in my decoys this year then ever before? Maybe that's where the all go in the winter laugh

ya, i have always looked to see if they have teeth! The more teeth they have, the more there likly to be running!

Sat in my house most of the day and only saw one pike from noon to 4:00. Just thinking about heading out and I got two eaters within about 5 minutes.

I seem to be having the most luck seeing fish when I only use my live decoy for some reason.

MJ was going to stop by but you left when the sunnies were biteing and I was just getting set up if the pike bore you head to my holes to the west of your house for some eater sun fish.

MJ was going to stop by but you left when the sunnies were biteing and I was just getting set up if the pike bore you head to my holes to the west of your house for some eater sun fish.

I didn't see you out there. I usually stay later but I had something I had to get to. I have caught a few sunfish out there.

I seem to be having the most luck seeing fish when I only use my live decoy for some reason.

Thats East Central style!!!

They don't like jigged decoys around here.

They will come into a decoy sitting still but not so much this year as last.

Slow, slow, slow, today.

Hopefully the weather change will wake them up tomorrow.

I have had my best luck this year when the weather hasn't been very nice. Especially when its been snowing which it's supposed to do tomorrow I guess.

got out today, one 4.5 lber and an 11.42 lb 37.25 inch fish, thought it was much bigger but it was slender, no belly to speak of. found it to be a male. My brother got a 25.5 inch football shaped pike yesterday that went 8lbs flat. Wow was that different! It has been decent fishing this year, going to get out for the next few days, mornings anyway, then Sunday night.

I was out 3 times last week and was seeing 6-8 northerns a day, nothing to big but did spear some 2-3 lbers. Caught 18 bluegills in the hole the one day! Also caught a 3 lb bass that took a while to bring in on 1 lb test and tangling with my decoy line and bullheads hitting every decoy I send down there. I just made 6 more decoys going to try them out tommorrow and this weekend! Good luck Last Weekend!

They were on a feeding frenzy today.

I had my live decoy grabbed four times and pulled out all of the line on the reel. I pulled two of them back in but could not quite get them up to spear.

I had a largemouth that was a monster come in. I had a jig pole with a small spoon on it I lowered down but he wouldn't take it. Just as he was leavin a northern came flying in and tried to grab it. I was able to get it out of the way in time so it didn't get it.

It was a very fun day today lots of action.

I was out for about 2 hours this morning. I caught some nice sized bluegills and had a pike come in just outside my hole and spook all the pannies away. Didn't get a shot at him but 15 minutes later another one roughly 30 inches that looked like it swallowed a football came in and sat just outside my hole, but deep enough that an angled shot might get it. I took the shot but missed. In total I saw 6 fish and threw at 2, missing both. It really reminded me why I love this sport.

Out on sakatah now, saw one at 817 this morning but my wife scared it away when she came back to the shack, hopefully I see more soon, was hoping that sitting on my phone lookin at these pages would bring one in but no luck yet, prime time isn't for a lil while yet tho

made it out to a shallow lake today,, speared in 7 fow and took two 24 inchers and a 25 for a fish fry. Tomorrow takes us to the lake after church to have a campfire, tip upping, spearing, and fishing fellowship with adults and kids!! Bring on tomorrow! then hang the spears up for the year!

Sounds good Fisherking. I may hit it for a few good hours before church tonmorrow (service at 10:45). We head down to visit with family in St. Peter in the P.M.

I don't care about spearing any more fish - but I love the work of cutting the hole this time of year and watching the lake come to life in the morning.

We head up to the cabin in Hovland over spring break for some border lake walleye and pike with the kids and friends, but the spears will be oiled and hung up tomorrow until next season - God willing!

Good Luck guys. I will be at work n the last day of the season so its over for me until next season. already planning it out.

I may have to take a trip to the Nodak to spear some pike thou

Ring,,, Ring,,,

It's a cell phone...

Hey Laska, it's for you....

Did it help?

dont think it helped laska but it helped Heidi woooo you go girl grin

I'm going to give it one last try tomorrow. I don't know what I will do with myself starting Monday. I've made it my daily routine to head out to my spear house.

Gave it a final go today. Ended up spearing the only pike I saw, a 27"er. Had a muskie (42"?) fly through the hole 4 different times. I'm sure it was the same muskie as it had an infected hook-n-release injury on it's back left jaw. Looked fat and healthy otherwise. Lots of sunnies and bass hanging around. Got the house off, now it's time to make plans for next year.

Had 33 friends and family show up for the last day of pike fishing. Kids rotated through a couple spear houses and I spent the day entertaining on the ice. Two pike were speared, a 26 incher taken by Austin, 11 year old nephew, and a 24 incher taken by another young friend. tip ups produced a few pike and large perch. The campfire in a short barrell stayed hot well into the evening for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. What a day to end spearing, can't wait til next year! My son and I introduced many kids and adults to the spearing world and got a lot of interest renewed in the sport. Maybe we will have days to come where we will once again have spearing shantytowns! We will be building a few portable spearhouses, equipping them with spears and decoys, that we will borrow to members of the community who want to try spearing, but not the initial expense. Thanks for all of the sharing on this forum, and Laska, I will still be sending some wood for decoys your way!! have a great off season!!