• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

Set up in 12fow mid morning, had 2 come in to the wax worms again... but Excellent Misses! Ive downsized my decoys to 3 inch sucker minnows and still no fish. Pull up the minnow, wiggle the worm and 10-20 mins later fish come rolling in.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Gordie

• merkman

• bassNspear

Top Posters In This Topic

Brings up a good point. This time of year, i have always ran my decoy up higher then normal. Usally i have my live decoy about 1.5 feet off the bottom, but later in the year, i will run it 2-3 feet off the bottom.

Anyone else see the fish really moving today?

Speared from 11-4. Got 4 carp, missed more than that, and saw lots more. Decided before I began today that I would be looking and releasing all pike except a trophy. So, I didn't throw at a pike today. Saw, I think, 5 distinct pike. The largest about 30". One had a hook and release injury that I saw a half dozen times. Suffered 3 decoy attacks, they should survive, though wink . I didn't use a live minnow today, and would imagine if I had one down today it would have been hit often. Way better than last weekend when peering through the same hole for about 8 total hours all I saw was a couple of Bass.

I am curious if most of you guys have moved out to deeper water? I moved out to 19 fow, sometimes I can see the bottom other times I can't. I'm having some real nice fish come in but they are usually to deep.

I would rather sit in some shallower water but i'm concerned that most of the fish are deep. I have never speared this late in the season.

Speared in 3 fow yesterday, one 4 lber, fished in 12 fow today, one 10 lber. fishing with one foot of water under the ice really brings em up close and personal!! going back tomorrow to 3 feet. when you only have a foot of water under the ice, they appear very fast. fun for sure!

yes fisherking thats my favorite way of doing also. I'll start with my decoys down a foot under the ice and go deeper if I see fit. Same goes when tip up fishing

They were coming in but to deep again today. As soon as the wind picked up they completely quit. Probably a coincidence but I thought it was kind of strange.

Epic day of seeing fish today. Dropped down a big shiney yellow/pink/glow/silver daredevil, 3 fish came running into the hole. Caught a small sunfish and a northern took it... Caught another borderline keeper sunfish while i was on the phone 3 more came in 3lber and 2 6-8's it was crazy, and we wont go into how many misses smile

Epic day of seeing fish today. Dropped down a big shiney yellow/pink/glow/silver daredevil, 3 fish came running into the hole. Caught a small sunfish and a northern took it... Caught another borderline keeper sunfish while i was on the phone 3 more came in 3lber and 2 6-8's it was crazy, and we wont go into how many misses smile

Sounds like a fun day! Any pictures of the "big shiney yellow/pink/glow/silver daredevil"? I'm curious to know what one with that many colors would look like...

I moved to the other side of the lake in search for more fishes and it didnt work. I only seen 1 and slayed it came in to the fancy spoon again.

50022.jpg

The one I've been using didnt have the eye, but they color scheme is pretty close. The salmon spoons are lighter, thinner and a little longer than regular dare devils, so they flutter more on the sinking and they sink slower.

Haha, that's quite the spoon and I love the "Carmel Dolphin" color! I would imagine the salmon spoons work pretty well for bringing in pike, I was going to try some really thin ones I bought this past summer but they seem to have disappeared...

you get alot of reflextion with spoons! When its slow, it might be the way to go to get some reaction fromt he fish!

thats why you see on some decoys, bear creek for example, they put silver fins on them to have some reflextion!

Went out for a few this afternoon on Gull, set up in 8 fow and couldn't see the bottom. Didn't see any fish either. Almost buried my auger too there was about 3 inches of snow 4 inches of snowice and 18 of regular ice.

you get alot of reflextion with spoons! When its slow, it might be the way to go to get some reaction fromt he fish!

7 carp today!!!!!! A personal best. Thanks to ya'll for talking so much about them spoons!!

So, I had been having my best luck by creating a puppet show with three dekes, so that they would sort of act like a school of fish. Was using a neon yellow, a white crappie, and a red n white deke. I noticed that the carp were most attracted to the neon yellow. Today I borrowed a friends identical neon yellow deke so I could have two of them down. Than I attached flashy spoons to each deke BNS style. When the action would slow I would swim the two dekes around a little bit, and without fail soon later I would have a carp swimming on by, often they would even slow down near the spoons. Thanks again.

Also saw three pike today, they all got the look-n-release.

Jameson, if you don't mind me asking where have you been spearing those carp? That sounds like fun and I bet they don't taste too bad pickled or smoked.

Short answer, I ain't saying.

Long answer, I live right next to Lake Minnetonka and don't like to travel far. So, with the increased pressure on surrounding lakes from having a spearing ban on Tonka, I don't want to say anymore than that.

I haven't smoked any yet, but am going to try some. I have a relative that uses them for bait in turtle traps, and now I have all he needs, so it's time to find other uses for them.

Heading out there again in a few minutes. I have found the best times to be out are 10-1. Good Luck if you give it a try. Don't be surprised if you miss your first 10, they don't usually decoy in right to the dekes, so I usually am taking angled shots off to the side of the spear hole at moving fish. With patience, and practice, I am now having about a 75% success rate on my throws. 6-10 FOW suggested.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't really expect any lake names. Are you spearing over weeds? I hope to get out sometime this week and put the spear to a fish, whether it's a carp or a pike.

Nope no weeds, and filthy water this year, last year it was gin clear. It is what I call a "typical" milfoil lake, weeds to the surface, and then no weeds deeper than the weedline. I wish I had the weedline at the edge of my hole, but I cut in the wrong spot, and don't think I'll cut another hole this year. The few pike I am seeing, all come directly from the weeds, not from the depths. I haven't measured, but I think I am in 10 FOW, and can barely make out a white decoy on bottom.

Today it was another 4 carp. No pike seen, did see a nice bass, and a couple micro-sunnies. I might have to break down and get a minnow this week in hopes of seeing more esox.

Good Luck to everyone during these last two weeks!

I got a big one today! 37 inches 13 pounds.

I moved my house today. I found a spot where it is weedy in 8 fow in the front of my hole and drops to 10 fow in the back and eventually drops to 19 fow behind me. I had a good feeling by the number of sunfish hanging around.

They were coming in nice and slow today. Had a couple that I could hardly get out of the hole even jigging my artificial trying to bump them.

The big fish came in right below the ice from underneath me. It's in the freezer waiting to be put on the wall. I'll get some pics up soon.