• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

Went out yesterday and didnt see any northerns. First time this year. The water is getting alot clearer on the lake i'm on.

MJ I have been hooking into them out there in 25 feet while fishing panfish.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Gordie

• merkman

• bassNspear

Top Posters In This Topic

so your out panfishin, and getting a few pike throw the hole?

I wonder with the cold weather, if they didnt move deep!

I know, I know, with out pics it didn't happen, but....

I had a very beat up 50" ski swim through my hole a half dozen times during a half-hour period this morning. She had some obvious landing net damage. She even stopped a couple of times and flared her gills at my scared s@#t-less sucker (no hook, decoy pin) only 18" below the ice, but wasn't eating what I had to offer. Finally it leaves for maybe ten minutes when miss 40" pike comes nosing up to one of my dekes. Bottom right of the spear hole, perfect. I was grabbing my spear, about to line up the shot when that 50" pig comes flying back in stopping nose to nose with the same deke. Of course the pike swam off just as fast as the ski came in. The muskie came through one more time and I took my decoy line and pulled it so that it would gently rub up against the ski. She darted off, and was not seen again as it was time for me to leave 10 minutes later. I was able to spear a 23" pike earlier in the day, and missed two carp.

Frustrating, but very cool.

so your out panfishin, and getting a few pike throw the hole?

I wonder with the cold weather, if they didnt move deep!

This time of year BNS Go deep for them pike 20 plus water hang your decoys anywhere from a foot to 5 foot below the ice youll be suprised at the pike that will roll thru the hole.

I finally got out today and I headed to Christmas Lake. I set up in a bay over where I thought the weeline was but I didn't bother checking the depth before I cut my hole because I just wanted to get spearing. As it turned out I was sitting over 27' of water nowhere near the weedline. Didn't see any fish, but I could see the bottom at that was nice at that depth.

Went out today by Brainerd and speared two, saw a couple others also. They all came to an orange and white striped decoy.

I saw a MONSTER today on Rainy.

It was just before full light and it was sitting on bottom in 7 FOW

I didn't see it untill it was too late.

A flash just outside the hole in front of me, a huge dust cloud on the bottom, then the wide head, fat belly and the huge tail waving good bye. It is amazing to see a 3 and a half foot long fish turning around on its nose in 7 FOW without even getting inside the spear hole. There is a reason that one is big!!! My heart was pounding for a half hour afterward!! It made the whole day worth while.

Where on the lake have you been setting up ArcherySniper?

Same side of the lake as your spear house but around the point.

I saw a MONSTER today on Rainy.

It was just before full light and it was sitting on bottom in 7 FOW

I didn't see it untill it was too late.

A flash just outside the hole in front of me, a huge dust cloud on the bottom, then the wide head, fat belly and the huge tail waving good bye. It is amazing to see a 3 and a half foot long fish turning around on its nose in 7 FOW without even getting inside the spear hole. There is a reason that one is big!!! My heart was pounding for a half hour afterward!! It made the whole day worth while.

Sounds awesome!! What decoy did she come in to? See any others? Use the cisco decoy?

Originally Posted By: MJ1657
Where on the lake have you been setting up ArcherySniper?

Same side of the lake as your spear house but around the point.

Thanks for the tip.

Sounds awesome!! What decoy did she come in to? See any others? Use the cisco decoy?

I threw the entire decoy box at em over the weekend but the fish were pretty lazy this weekend. Sticking to the bottom and not moving too much.

I expected some to come into the cisco but no luck this time.

The big one came into the Hillbilly Spinner with 4 stacked spoons.

We had a few fish come into the Hillbilly Spinner with double stacked offset golf balls too.

The rest came into live decoys.

We ended up taking one for a fish fry that we had tonight and a little one for the smoker. All the rest were look and released.

There are some BIG fish in Rainy Lake!!!

I spun a coke can on the Hillbilly Spinner in honor of BNS then after staring at that darn thing for 15 min I had to take it off since it was out of control. smile

I wanted to see a sturgeon in the hole but no luck this time.

The only fish we saw were Northerns.

It was great to spend time with my Brother and Dad in the spearhouse all weekend, seeing the beautiful snow covered trees, the big wolf moon over the lake greeting us every morning and evening, waiting for the deer to cross the road as we headed out to the shack in the morning, being able to spear on the same lake that my uncle speared and fished most of his life (thought allot about him this weekend), and as a bonus we had a bunch of family over for a fish/steak fry on the last day.

Good times indeed!!

Well worth the trip!!!

Being "well worth the trip" is what its all about. Glad you had a good time.

It would be exciting spearing where you know a monster pike could come through.

I was out today saw two northerns and brought home an eater. I had a real big largemouth swim right up to my decoy.

I think i'm going to move my house to a different spot tomorrow. It's been in the same spot for a month a change of scenery might be nice.

Got out on thursday and saw numerous small, and I mean small northerns, took a friend out who had never been spearing before so I was gonna let him spear the sucker at the end of the day if he didn't get to spear a northern, at the end of the day I jerked the sucker so he would sink belly up and be a more stationary target, I was in the process of handing him the spear to throw at the sucker and a 28incher came flying in out of nowhere. I stuck him almost out of reaction. This is my first year spearing and man do I love it. after that incident my buddy is also hooked. The 28 incher had 3 other spear holes in him. What a warrior of a fish, I'm just glad that I finished him off.

I sat down today and in less then 5 minutes I had an eater. I decided to move my house to the other end of the lake into deeper water.

I got set up at 4:30 in 19 fow so I figured I might as well spear until dark. A big pike came through right on the bottom. It came through two more times once about 3 feet up and then about 6 feet up. It sure got my heart pounding hoping it would move up another 3 feet.

Got out today and all I can say is wow what a day got my pb 15lbs 35inch sow in the first hour of the day. Biggest fish I got in 25+years of spearing.

Awesome Merkman!!! I was wondering is Northern a continuous season on Rainy? If so can a guy spear it in March or even April? Just wondering..I have some friends from college who are from the Falls & got jobs up there... so planning a trip to visit them & was wondering if spearing is open later than the inland waters? If not then I'm just bringing the panfish poles.

Awesome Merkman!!! I was wondering is Northern a continuous season on Rainy? If so can a guy spear it in March or even April? Just wondering..I have some friends from college who are from the Falls & got jobs up there... so planning a trip to visit them & was wondering if spearing is open later than the inland waters? If not then I'm just bringing the panfish poles.

Yes pike is continuous on Rainy for angling but spearing still ends the same time as the rest of the state. I was wondering that too last year but instead of spearing we threw out some tipups instead and caught some really nice fish.

Ok thanks buckhunter I just wasn't sure I looked it up in the rule book but really didn't clarify that. I thought I had stumbled onto a loophole in the rule and a guy could spear later into March on Rainy. Looks like I'll just bring the walleye & crappie gear.

I wish they would make an exception for border lakes. If you can still legally catch them through the ice all year then why cant you spear for them too. O well I guess I wont complain if I have to catch a 20 pound northern instead of spearing one!

Fish were moving today. I know it sounds like a fish story but they were all big. Lost one minnow and another one was beat up pretty good. The only fish that came into range were moving to fast to spear.

I have been using the bns set up but been getting a small sucker and hanging it underneath a Bear Creek. I have my large sucker down at the same time. By using a small sucker I have not had to much trouble with them tangling up.