• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

In the past I have left the blocks sitting up on the ice so people can see where the spearing has been happening, but today when I was out I chopped them all down, I don't have any trees around for some dead limbs but is there anything else I should do to mark the hole? like go tear some limbs off a tree on the lake or stop on the way to the lake and tear them off some wind rows? I'm kinda in a bind.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MJ1657

• Gordie

• merkman

• bassNspear

Top Posters In This Topic

i went out yesterday on medicine lake and thre was nothing, it was pretty clear but didnt see anything not even pannies

got my house in the garage with heater in it drying it out also, need to do a few repairs before it goes back to the lake

Got set up today dropped down white and red decoy and as soon as it hit the end of the line a 28-32 incher came flying into the hole it was great, twisted the spear when I tossed it... epic fail

Absolutely dead the last two days.

Moved my house to the other side of the lake today and still didn’t see a thing all day. I decided to stick around allot later than normal, kept moving the decoy up as the hole closed in on itself.

Finally a skinny 25 incher came in the hole at 5:12 PM and I took it.

I didn’t get skunked this weekend anyway!!

Yep makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when they do that, we did see 5 others but they were 12ft down and my rope only gets me down 9ft. Most of the northerns the last two weeks have been coming in to wax worms though.

Tried a new lake today with my brother. took a 35 incher weighed 6.7 lbs and a 28.5 incher that weighed 5.4 lbs. saw a bunch of pike and obviously there isn't enough forage base for these fish. should have easily went over 10 lbs. skinny fish for sure. they just don't look very appealing when they are underweight. there were few eggs in the sacs so they are absorbing them to conserve and use energy. I think a winterkill would do this lake good.. another new lake tomorrow.

Most of the northerns the last two weeks have been coming in to wax worms though.

Maybe downsizing decoys (live and fake) will help?

Merk laska and his misses see any or stick any? I'm heading up nord monday for a couple days gotta get outta here before I go crazy

Merk laska and his misses see any or stick any? I'm heading up nord monday for a couple days gotta get outta here before I go crazy

They left at 4:30 didn't see anything all day yesterday or today.

I got stuborn and stayed past last light.

I finally saw and stuck one at 5:12 PM

Saw five and speared two in a 2.5 hours on Saturday (5lbs, 3.5lbs) and passed on one between 7-8lbs. The other two were small. I have downsized both my decoy and my sucker, and I am not touching either one very often (jigging once per 1/2 hour or so, slowly, and just a few circles) and this has helped tremendously. Still seeing fish on or near bottom lately, too, but four of the five on Saturday decoyed, and the largest fish hammered my sucker, so I think it is picking up again. Fishing in 15' of water with a drop off to 18'.

I've been out everyday for about 2 weeks and last week and really sloooow but finally picked up on friday. been getting about 2 fish a day and also a couple dog fish. speared a 8 pounder today. pikestabber...what lake you on?

I wasn't spearing today but saw something interesting tip up fishing on Rush Lake.

I caught a 26 inch northern with a hook stuck in its lip. There was about three feet of line attached. One end had the hook the other end was tied to a nut and bolt. In the middle there was a glow stick which had a swivel attached to it.

I bet it was relieved to not be dragging that around anymore.

I wasn't spearing today but saw something interesting tip up fishing on Rush Lake.

I caught a 26 inch northern with a hook stuck in its lip. There was about three feet of line attached. One end had the hook the other end was tied to a nut and bolt. In the middle there was a glow stick which had a swivel attached to it.

I bet it was relieved to not be dragging that around anymore.

Wow, thats crazy, the guy musta been using the nut and bolt as weight apparently.

i went out yesterday and i couldnt see 6 inches down. look like someone dumped a can of baked beans down my hole. so i wont be spearing anytime soon. i need a break anyways the OLD LADY has been getting after me for going out too much.

i havent been able to get out for 2 weeks now being im back at work and boat shows!

I wanta get out this weekend!

Went out yesterday and didnt see any northerns. First time this year. The water is getting alot clearer on the lake i'm on.

Nice to see a good discussion like this. Too often this board is useless because of (insert expletive) people who give rude responses like the one guy earlier in the thread. This site can be a great learning tool if people aren't selfish with information - I've got a few ideas for spearing spots locally percolating from what I've read here.

Keep it up!

Oh - in other news, the Cass Lake city council is formally in favor of removing the Muskie Inc Decree, er, I mean the spearing ban, on Cass Lake. It will be interesting to see if a local, grassroots effort can defeat an organized lobby in this matter.

http://www.casslaketimes.com/index.php?o...:other-top-news

I go on quite a few boards of various interests I have. This is by far the nicest and most informative board I have been on. Thanks to everyone on here for their tips and tricks. wink

Fishcarver and I are heading out on Rainy (Black Bay) in the morning.

Hope to see some monsters tomorrow!!!

I will bring the camera. (hope it don't jynx me)

Wow, Rainy!! I got some great memories of rainy, and some not so great ones, haha. Hope you do well Merk!!

went out today with a friend and took 3 small pike for lunch, cleaned em, fried em and enjoyed them with friends. lately switching anything seems to get em curious. One got it today cause he refused to let go of Fred (fred is my live decoy)lol. good luck this weekend for all who venture out.

Went out to my favorite spot today, downsized the minnows considerably and caught some sunnies. Had only 1 northern skirt the hole a little disappointing but the sunnies were nice size. Oh yeah heater ran out of fuel, and I couldn't start my car to get off the lake because it was too cold... was a good day though