• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Lake Fishing Reports

I was at the tourney last weekend and got skunked for fish during the tourney. Was a great day out on the ice though. I live on the other end of the cities but I have fished Buffalo a few time this year. I would guarantee decent crappies to anyone who would come with me. My buddy found this sweet spot that has delivered all season so far. I have heard that fishing has been slow all over the lake though. Sorry I cannot divulge my location but I thought I would let you know that there are fish in that lake yet.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigginjim

• fishersofmen

• sticknstring

• tsande00

Its either been hot or cold for me out there. A few of my best outings this winter have been on Buffalo. I have been skunked a few times as well.

Well that's good to hear -- mind if i ask what time of the day your catching them at?

Thanks

Sorry about the late reply, but I have been fishing on the lake mostly late afternoon to evening and once real early in the morining. Any time seems to be good, it is on and off but only minutes between marking fish and seeing the dead sea picture on my locator. A few other people that I know fish it have been there at all sorts of times too and have not found a bad time yet. I cannot wait until next year and see if it is still hot.

Anyone been out lately? It's pretty quiet out there. I ventured out last night and drilled a quick half-dozen holes searching with the vex but didn't locate any. First time on the lake since the fishing contest. The accesses are deteriorating but navigable. Went on at Sturgis and off on the south access.

Alot of old guys catching small sunfish out at constance, was out there with my grandpa. Slow for me a few days ago on Buffalo but was middle of day.

That home with the eagle's nest in their backyard on Constance is sure lucky. I had the perm out there for the last 3 weeks of the season and kept a close eye on them.

Was out their friday evening, ice was still good and thick, nice sized crappies between two of us got 11 keepers in a few hours. Not extreme action but deacent. Look at the breaklines or the hole fished in 21 ft.

Was out their friday evening, ice was still good and thick, nice sized crappies between two of us got 11 keepers in a few hours. Not extreme action but deacent. Look at the breaklines or the hole fished in 21 ft.

This sounds identical to my fishing report from Friday evening on Buffalo.

I may try and get back out there tonight or tomorrow. Although alot can happen to a shoreline in 4 days of warm weather as far as driving. This weather the last 2 weeks is unbelievable! Appears like mid 40's is going to continue. Going to kill several weeks of ice fishing that we could have had. frown

As long as it remains overcast, we'll be alright. There's still nearly 2 feet of ice under the snow yet. Might be done driving soon but good fishable ice will remain for several weeks yet right up through the end of the month. Hard to beat sitting on a pail in your tshirt pounding the pannies.

Anybody ever have any luck late in the season out in front of the courthouse? I tried there once early season this year and once late season last year and got skunked. Ended up near the hole every time after that. I'm not willing to walk out to the hole though, so curious as to how people have done closer to the main road that runs from the court house to the DNR access.

When I was out at the end of last year the water was circling down my hole so fast that anything that fell on the floor anywhere inside the portable was soon being sucked down my fishing hole within seconds. You couldn't even see the bobber due to all the water pouring in the hole. Also, I started with an 8" hole and finished with a 11".

Were you fishing in the middle of the lake? I was in the black explorer and blue yukon

I don't think we have several weeks sticknstring.....not with mid 50's and sun next week. She's about toast around here. Its too bad because like you said still alot of ice in the middle but the shoreline is gonna go quick.

Well maybe not anymore after 4 days of rain! There's still plenty of good fishable ice left though. I've fished a local lake right up to April nearly every year the past decade. Might have to put your knee boots on and walk out 15 feet to hop on the ice sheet but the fishing is usually fantastic. Just make sure to be safe out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't believe it when I drove by the lake today and saw that car still sitting on the ice!! Was starting to tilt in a bit though. I'm glad I didn't pay for a guess because I would have been way off.

When i came into town tonight at 10:00 the car was not seen. I used my spotlight to look for it. how fish structure! A great spot for crappies until it gets pulled out.

It dropped sometime between 12:30 and 6:15 yesterday afternoon. The city has a surveillance camera that was pointed at the car to record the exact time it went down. Should be in the local paper next week!

How's the spring fishing for crappies? I know the summer fishing for them are quite alright.

Monday evening the city guys were doing some maga, fishing(for the sunkin car) but no luck. They figure it glided to the side when it went down. They will be out again Wednesday evening.