• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wild Rice Lake Fishing Reports

As a matter of fact I think Rice is probably the more popular lake nearest Duluth for dark house spearing. It is dark but it can be done. When I'm sitting in the portable with the windows closed I can see my jig/bait laying on the bottom in about 7ft of water. But you can't actually see the bottom.

I would think rice would be a excellent spearing lake for notherns. I have never tried it, but one would think it would

That water is dark but shallow so im sure you could get the fish up high enough to make spearing possible through the ice but the fish are easy enough to catch jigging out there so why spear in my opinion

• 5 months later...

caught a couple of eyes last night, worm and a spinner slow as you can move and still get the blade to spin

• 1 year later...

I was out today and I got a few northerns on tip ups and a few really nice perch jigging in the fish house anyone else have any luck?

that's good to hear. Rice has always been my go-to lake for pike on hard water. Rice has been known for jumbo perch for years but the perch population has gone down in the last few years. early January i will be up there as well. pickled pike and fish patties on the menue. hopefully this year will be better than the last two years. good luck.

I haven't had a chance to hit Wild Rice Lake this hard water season. I'm guessing that will change this week!!

I would think the ice should be in great shape with this last little cool down.

there was a poster who said he had 11 inches out of Silver Fox at Boulder. being that Rice is also a shallow lake i would think it would be safe to walk on and even a wheeler. when i go i take my Aqua View camera along to make sure my bait is not hidden by the kelp weeds out there. always nice to find a pocket with no weeds because you know there are always some around. good luck.

was out with five other guys saturday and only got one pike..SLOW!on a side note be careful out there, punched a few holes in a spot that had some weeds and only about five inches of ice out there! its a weedy lake and doesn't always freeze over well. It never fails someone goes through every year out there.

Just a side note on ice thickness. I can see where areas on Rice and other lakes have varying thickness. When we were on Grand this last Sunday we were fishing some heavy weed area and I was shocked to find 5 inches of ice also. kinda spooky when you punch through with the auger and ice all around you begins cracking eek BC

Pretty slow on Rice for my buddies and I this year. Few times out have only produced a handful of slimmers and some small perch. Boulder seems to be a better bite.

Anyone have any insight as to the new "No Trespassing" signs on the trail to Wild Rice from the Miller Road? Anyone know who put them up & why?

Anyone have any insight as to the new "No Trespassing" signs on the trail to Wild Rice from the Miller Road? Anyone know who put them up & why?

Because people were trespassing...The guy who put them up put his name on the sign and I have a hunch he is the land owner.

just wondering if there was an incident that caused the signs to go upaccorf...been using that access for yrs...according to st. Louis cty records it is owned by mn power. Might be leased out, but my intial search said it wasn't. Just looking at the records I think it is likely the records are goofed up.

I think the land owners were getting sick of people parking like #@%$@ and blocking emergency vehicle access to the houses on the block. I know one of the land owners was not happy because people were parking to close to his drive way and he could not get his trailer out.

Quote:

Because people were trespassing...The guy who put them up put his name on the sign and I have a hunch he is the land owner.

It appears there is some heartburn about how people park on a county road. I had the pleasure of being told by a property owner that if he was unable to get his trailer out of his driveway that he was going to have the vehicles towed. Mind you I was parked safely away from his driveway. For the record there was a car parked accross from his driveway. How would they know that this person could be pulling a large trailer in and out on a regular basis? This is no different then the property owners on park point becoming upset with many of us as we go smelting each season.

We need to treat each other with a little bit of respect and it goes both ways. (If) the signs were placed by the same property owner, maybe he could have put signs at the end of his driveway asking people not to park across from the end of his driveway and maybe give a reason why.

I see no reason for anyone to block an approx. twenty foot wide strip of land that gives easy access to the lake. I agree that someone owns the land but it has been a long time access for many people.

I'm not sure what the of the correct way to move forward in this situation but I'm hoping that the person that placed the signs will reconsider.

If you have a plot book or co map you can go to the county recorders office and ask who owns it. It is public information.

If you have a plot book or co map you can go to the county recorders office and ask who owns it. It is public information.

My concerns are not with ownership. It was stated they were signed with name and number. My concern is with why someone felt the need to restrict a long time access to the lake. Also the fact that the vehicles are parked on a county road not a private drive.

As I stated before, the way people were parking was making a SAFETY hazard for the people who live on the point. Fire trucks and other large emergency vehicles were not able to get to the last house the way people were parking. They must have decided that it was easier to just close off his private property than to fight the county to put up no parking signs. That or maybe they were concerned about a lawsuit, or all the trash that was being left on the ice. It sucks but complaining about his actions in a negative way about it on an online public forum is not going to help convince him to take the signs down.

Rice has been producing late at night as of this week. A buddy of mine caught a 28" eye and some very nice eaters. Crappies and northerns have been being caught also. Be safe out on the ice with this WARM SPRING weather. Good fishing

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ditto on Hugo's report. Eyes, crappies, and pike are co operating.

Where is up to you but rocks had all three in common.