• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Demontreville Fishing Reports

stillwaterangler

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigHitter

• mpester

• Radar Randy

• mattbass

Was out for the afternoon. 3 small pike and a 19" bass.

The average size pike has really gone downhill, since I started fishing here in the late 90's. Got a feeling people are now keeping more and larger pike, than back in the day. I usually make 1 trip a winter, more out of habit than anything.

Ya, last week there were tip ups every where and people kept um all. That will help the crappies though. GOOD FISHIN !!!

Was out yesterday. Man this place turned into a zoo! There was a group of flippin idiots out there :-| They were just tip up fishing and they were getting quite a view pike...i could not believe the size of the fish they were keeping. At this rate that lake is going to be a deadzone for pike. These guys thought it would be funny to do donuts all over the place where other people were fishing. They also thought it was fun to go 30mph on the ice. There was one guy fishing an area and i saw a one of the idiots in a blazer drive within 20 yards of this guy and do a donut and go back to where he was. So if any of you were in this group, try to think about the people around you a little more. What a bunch of #$%#^#$

If that continues the DNR or police will be checking it out,could be a good thing. Was wondering how the bites been? Any reports? -------- THINK OF THE KIDS, TEACH UM RITE !!! ---------.

First time Ice Fishing ever was Wednesday evening on Demontreville.

Agreed with the previous post about the knuckleheads on the lake that evening.

Fished from 4:30 - 6:30PM in about 10 feet of water.

Had 2 good runs of fishing.

4:40- 5:00 Caught 7 decent sized sunnies.

5:45- 6:00 Caught 4 Crappie- One that was 10 inches.

For my first experience, it was pretty fun. The lesson learned was when I was drilling my holes, I found out that my snow boots were not waterproof. Not going to make that mistake twice. My toes were numb within an hour.

Out there last Saturday Morning. 9 to noon. I estimate it was 9-10 inches of ice and the rain cleared all the snow off. Ten or twelve cars, trucks, and vans out there. We camped out right in the middle of a small village in about 10 fow. 8 small sunnies, 1 tiny perch, and one 18-20 inch pike. Action was consistent though. Good spot to take a little kid, I guess. Used both Euro and waxies. Pike was on small jig with 2 red euros.

A buddy and I were out from 2:00 till 5:30, caught adozen or so sunnies and one crappie. weighed a 7+ lb. Pike for a guy. 14" ice

• 2 weeks later...

Practically everyone was using tip ups and sucker minnows yesterday. A guy I met on the lake last year and his buddy each caught a northern. I got a northern that was about 2 1/2 to 3lbs.full-40900-29415-demontrevillenorthern01

I got this northern pike on Lake DeMontreville today. I used a sucker minnow in about 5' of water. Others were on the lake. Waxies were taking sunfish. Two bald eagles were flying around searching for dead bait on top of the ice.full-40900-29514-demontrevillenorthern01

• 1 month later...

I got out on DeMontreville on Tursday March 14th and Saturday March 16th. Last year, I had my boat out on the lake on March 25th and I caught a bass. This year, there's still 2 feet of ice on the lake... Anyway, the fishing has been good. I fished the wide channel between the two main sections of the lake on Thursday. Saturday, I fished the east side of northwest bay. I tried 10 FOW without any success. I caught all of the fish in 5 to 6 FOW. I mostly caught bluegills on Thursday and then I got into a big school of crappies on Saturday. Wax worms got the sunfish. I tried crappie minnows for the crappies but they didn't want any of them. I switched to Northland Bro Bugs and caught about a dozen crappies with a few keepers. The fish fought for the Bro Bugs and after a few minutes they left them alone. Everytime I switched colors, the action picked up again. I used pink, chartruesse, white and dark brown. I kept rotating those colors for the 4 1/2 hours I was out there with success. It got to the point where I would pull the lure away from the smaller fish. Over the two days I had a northern take a swipe and miss the wax worm. A big bass put his nose right up against a wax worm but wouldn't bite. Then yesterday, a big bass swam by as I was changing lures. There were some smaller bass and perch checking out the Bro Bugs but they wouldn't bite.

full-40900-31138-demontrevillecrappieone

full-40900-31139-demontrevillesunfish031

• 9 months later...

Got out on DeMontreville yesterday with my buddy Jim. We bought some sucker minnows and wax worms from Blue Ribbon. The wax worms attracted the panfish but Jim landed the only fish, a crappie. Sunfish and perch kept stealing the waxies off our jigs. We did better with the sucker minnows. Jim got a northern and I caught a bass on tip-ups. Jim lost a big northern while jigging a sucker minnow when the it broke the line. full-40900-41364-lakedemontrevillebass01

full-40900-41365-lakedemontrevillejimbo0

full-40900-41366-lakedemontrevillecamera

Yes, there are lots of bluegills in DeMontreville. Tons of small ones which seem to bite when ice fishing. I've caught some big ones trolling for bass and northerns in deep water during the summer. They will hit a Shad Rap.

Just wondering, but can you get to Olsen via the channel in the winter, or is it thin/open there? I used to summer fish those lakes a lot, but only been out to Demont once or twice in the winter. Thanks.

You could access Olson from the channel but channels are very dangerous places in the winter. The ice is usually thinner and can't be trusted so I would highly recommend against it. If you want to drive on to Olson, drive in from the west like you're going to DeMontreville. Where the road turns left toward the DeMontreville Public Access, go straight instead and then take the first right. That road goes to the eastern bay on Olson and people drive their cars on to the ice on the right side. You might need four wheel drive though.

Thanks Bighitter. I know right where you are talking about. I doubt I will go there any time soon, but nice to know I could get there eventually.

• 9 months later...

Heading out to Demon this weekend, any ice condition reports? Think by Saterday should be 4+ inches but the wind may have messed things up,

Another member on here posted that there was 2.5 in for about fifty yds out I believe. He posted it in the 2014-2015 ice reports thread.

drscholl14, that was me. Ice was about 2.5 inches. I'll be out this saturday chasing panfish; if I'm lucky I'll go for some bass and northerns too. If you see a guy in a red carhartt, with a black strikemaster lazer hand auger, that's me. Feel free to stop by and chat.

Sounds like I'll just miss you. Planning on heading to Bald Eagle Friday and Demon Sunday. Do you walk on at the public launch?

Went out today.

Caught a Bass and and a couple pike. They hit sucker minnows under tipups placed about 4-6 feet deep. Caught some bluegill on plastics and waxwroms. Ice was 3.5 inches everywhere I drilled.

I saw a portable just out from the landing yesterday .

That was me out there, be careful if you make it out the ice was very sketchy. We found some spots with 4+ inches and some others with less than 2 inches. That was Wednesday, so may have improved since then, but then again it was pretty warm this weekend.

Fishing was slow, 2 small pike.

Anybody finding the crappies out there? I did pretty well on them in the summer, curious to see how it is in the Winter.