• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Demontreville Fishing Reports

stillwaterangler

Mpester, I'm curious, how do you know if they are fishing for bass or panfish? Seems like a person could be calling the CO and hassling an angler unnecessarily.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigHitter

• mpester

• Radar Randy

• hookitguy2007

Mpester, I'm curious, how do you know if they are fishing for bass or panfish? Seems like a person could be calling the CO and hassling an angler unnecessarily.

...spinnerbaits... you see it on WBL and BE all the time waaaaay before the season.

I was mainly talking about the people I see during the year with bass on stringers and in the metal keepers. I did see two guys loading their Tracker last week and the four rods that were sitting out had 6-8" plastic worms and large crankbaits on them. I get a little upset at people fishing for fish in a closed season but I get a lot upset with people keeping fish when the season is closed or on a lake where it is all C&R for a type of fish. It is amazing how dumb people can act when you tell them they are breaking the law. I told one guy that Demontreville was catch and release only and he said he did not know that. He was leaning against the sign with the regulations on it!!!

Alright, so a stringer of bass from a C&R lake is not acceptable.... eventually, they'll get busted.

That said, spying on someone and taking note of the lures tied to rods laying in their boat is a little creepy in its' own right. You guys might think about taking up knitting or something in the off-season. ;-)

Would you want someone taking fish out of lake you fish when its illegal? I sure would pay attention to that stuff.

Who needs to spy? Last year I called on two guys who I was chatting with and they had two bass in the metal keeper three feet away from me. Also, last year, I saw a man and woman getting out of their canoe with several nice bass on the stringer. For both of these sets of people, I told them it was illegal to keep the bass in this lake but they said they did not know the rules and went about fishing and keeping bass.

The guys with the worms and crankbaits were in full view in the boat. I was not spying, I was just looking at their boat - they had the same depthfinder rigged to the trolling motor just like I did for the one I put in last week.

We are the stewards of the resources. We do not have enough CO's to keep an eye on each person so I feel it is our responsibility to protect something we think is special and important.

Hey I'm all about being a steward of our resources, completely agree with that.

But I'll play devils advocate here, how do you know the guys with the big worms and cranks weren't fishing for dog fish? They are fair game year round right?

If you see a stringer or metal keeper full of bass I'm with you, bust them. I'm not sure why anyone would want to take a big bass to eat anytime of the year. C&R is really the only way to go but that's just me.

Jane and Demontr are two that I fish a lot over the summer. All the times I have fished the lake, I have seen responsible fishermen practicing catch, photography, and release. I have also seen fishermen tell other fishermen about the CR on those lakes. There are a lot of good people fishing the lakes too.

That said, spying on someone and taking note of the lures tied to rods laying in their boat is a little creepy in its' own right. You guys might think about taking up knitting or something in the off-season. ;-)

Ha! Seeing someone zinning a spinnerbait at docks in early May is really spying, I guess! hahaha! Heck, in that case I should work for the CIA! ha!

On that note, since I am now listed as a knitting FBI agent, ya'll know about the no wake in the morning rule there too, right? I have told morning boaters about that one, and sometimes they are appreciative cause they didn't know, and sometimes they flip you off. Ooops, now I am a quilting cop-wannabe! wink all in fun, have a good opener!

Good discussion guys.

BoxMN, thanks for the call out on the no wake. I think I've been an offender of that. I honestly had no idea. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Yeah, the no wake is posted on a small sign - or was last time I was there. I can't recall if it is 10 am or noon, but something like that. I used to fish that lake all the time, probably 3-4 days a week, quite a while ago. I was always off of it by 9 am, so we really hardly ever had chance to get boat on plane on Demont! smile We even fished it with the CO for Ramsey and Washington county, but now Gary has been gone for quite a few years. He showed us some dandy crappie spots wink I think I might have gotten on a plane with him in the boat and he informed me of the no wake! ha! Nothing like breaking the law with a game warden in the boat! doh!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been on demontreville lately? Thought about taking my boat out this weekend but might wait until Tuesday, let the holiday pass. Even though I have the bass itch bad!

Here is my report:

I was on Demontreville on saturday from 12pm-3pm with my brother on my canoe. We launched straight to the shore line by the launch and worked our way around most of the lake. We finally found their spawning area and managed to catch a 2 and 3lber. Other friends said that they caught a 3.7lber. Caught some small ones too that were in the 1 lb range.

Also...I was really disappointed tonight when I went to Demontreville. My brother and I went to two other lakes without much luck and decided to hit this lake from 6pm-9pm tonight. When we got to the launch, there was a police officer (Not DNR officer) standing by the launch. There was a family fishing there. There was a canoe with a guy in it on the other side of the dock. With that, I decided to pull my car in reverse to go drop off my canoe since no one was launching. The police officer told us that we couldnt go yet and that we had to wait for the canoe and another boat. With that we drove around the parking lot and waited. As soon as we parked our car, another truck with a boat came and drove down to the dock and launched their boat with another truck waiting. The police officer was there and he didnt even say anything to them. This [PoorWordUsage] me off and then we drove home. I thought it was really unfair.

Here is my report:

I was on Demontreville on saturday from 12pm-3pm with my brother on my canoe. We launched straight to the shore line by the launch and worked our way around most of the lake. We finally found their spawning area and managed to catch a 2 and 3lber. Other friends said that they caught a 3.7lber. Caught some small ones too that were in the 1 lb range.

Also...I was really disappointed tonight when I went to Demontreville. My brother and I went to two other lakes without much luck and decided to hit this lake from 6pm-9pm tonight. When we got to the launch, there was a police officer (Not DNR officer) standing by the launch. There was a family fishing there. There was a canoe with a guy in it on the other side of the dock. With that, I decided to pull my car in reverse to go drop off my canoe since no one was launching. The police officer told us that we couldnt go yet and that we had to wait for the canoe and another boat. With that we drove around the parking lot and waited. As soon as we parked our car, another truck with a boat came and drove down to the dock and launched their boat with another truck waiting. The police officer was there and he didnt even say anything to them. This [PoorWordUsage] me off and then we drove home. I thought it was really unfair.

Thanks for the report. Was the launch full either time you fished there? Just curious since it can fill up fast on weekends. You should have mentioned your dilemma to the officer. Perhaps he was confused.

• 2 weeks later...

heading to demontreville later today. any word on water levels? is olsen accessible? that was open pretty much all summer last year so i'm assuming it is.

I was there last week and water level is great. Canal to Olsen is easily accessible. Good luck out there. Ton of boats out when I was there. That lake is getting way too busy for me.

• 9 months later...

Got out on DeMontreville yesterday. My 28hp Johnson wasn't working too well but I got around a little bit. I was fishing for panfish in 10 FOW with a Mister Twister teeny tail on a jig with a spinner blade. I caught two bass. One would have been a keeper during bass season and the other was about the size of most of the sunfish in the lake...

Demontreville is catch and release only for bass. I have been seeing way too many bass on stringers on that lake over the last few years. The number of quality bass in that lake seems to be taking a hit. I now have the wardens phone number programmed on my phone just for all the violations I see on this lake. He always seems to show up quickly when I call him.

No, I know it's catch and release only for bass on DeMontreville, Olson and Lake Jane. I never keep anything but walleyes which you really don't find in those three lakes. All these years of throwing bass back and they're still very small so they might want to rethink the strategy. I have found the bass and northerns to be a fair amount bigger in Lake Jane than in DeMontreville and Olson. Anyway, I fished for panfish on D and O again Saturday. Caught one bass in DeMontreville and one northern in Olson. The 70F day only got to around 50F while I was out. I skipped Lake jane because of the wind direction. Both fish are back swimming. Among the observed wildlife, eagles, herons, several types of ducks, Cananda geese, squirrels, song birds, numerous muskrats and a painted turtle...

Check out the stocking page for Demontreville. I have landed a few walleyes but not many. The best one I have landed was on a tube jig last spring fishing of panfish. It is still out in the lake. I was always getting good sized bass out of Demontreville until a couple of years age.

Jane is good but I usually got better numbers of good sized bass out of Denomtreville. Jane is a great lake to take the kids to for action on baby pike.

• 1 month later...

Where are the crappie spots on DeMontreville? I just catch bass, northerns and panfish. I throw all of them back in the water. I'll throw the crappies back in too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone catching anything on DeMontreville/Olson or Lake Jane recently? I've been fishing Lake Elmo with some success but the heavy boat traffic lately is getting old...

• 3 weeks later...

Got out last evening and caught some fish even with all the waterskiers. I caught a decent norhtern on a minnow and another one a Countdown Rapala. I also caught a good sized crappie and some small sunfish. My fishing buddy caught three small bass and some small sunfish. Never went into Olson as I kept checking out spots on DeMontreville.full-40900-21867-lakedemontrevillenorthe

• 4 weeks later...

Got out on DeMontreville again last evening. Tons of fish everywhere in the lake on the locator. Threw the whole tackle box at them. Nothing was biting other than one sunfish... I was bass and northern fishing...

• 1 month later...

I got out on Lakes DeMontreville and Olson today. My locator wasn't working so it was tough fishing the edge of the weedline. I tried using the lake map but that didn't work too well either. After that, I decided to fishing shallow. I caught one bass on a Mr Twister purple curly tail jig with spinner and two more on a small, thin chartreusse plastic worm. I was able to watch the bass inhale the worm. A big one kept swimming by but wouldn't bite...

full-40900-23920-lakeolsonbass83112n3.jp

• 3 months later...

i just stopped by Demotraville this morning and there were two groups out fishing in the bay off the boat launch. They said two thirds of the way out was 4-5" of good ice and farther it held people but got soft im hoping that by next weekend itll be good on that whole bay.

keep the reports coming.

I drove by DeMontreville today and the ice looked pretty sketchy. Lots of water on top of the ice. Nobody was out fishing.