• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Lake Fishing Reports & Info - Annandale

Hi Josh!

That bay should be pretty good this time of year, and easy to access. Just do not venture near the bridge or try the obvious channels out to the main lake due to potential currents. There is a small pocket of deep water on the north end that can produce sunfish, and the bay has a few bits of structure that should give up pike and walleye.

Good luck!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hydro

• jigginjim

• FishSystem

• thesecret

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydro,

Sounds like you are familiar with the lake. I just got a cabin this past spring on the north shore of the west basin (looks straight out toward Bungalow Island). Really looking forward to getting out on the ice. I've fished the east side a little in the winter but that's it. Heard a lot of the stories and want to be sure I'm not going to venture into unsafe waters. I know to stay away from these areas: narrows, bridge areas, entry to black hole, shallow water channel from bridge into west basin. Looking for any other advice you or anyone else has. Is the main lake area of the west basin pretty consistent? Have marked quite a few potential spots with my H2O and anxious to get to them. Will be using a 4 wheeler (unless we get more snow!). Thanks!

Welcome DeBites! A good friend of mine lived near where you describe, and I spent lots of time in that area.

I managed to get out last night and there is 5"-6" of ice out from BJ's bait on the west basin. Lots of sled tracks and some ATV traffic, and about 6" of fluffy snow as well. Managed to get one small walleye and had several lookers before I had to get going.

Is the main lake area of the west basin pretty consistent?

That depends on your definition of consistant. I can tell you be carefull around the island particularly the North East point side where its shallow gravel. Have seen open water there in years past on the 4 wheeler. Other than that be carefull going through the cattails. If you are new to the lake I wouldnt venture too far off the main trail and just observe where most people go for a while, you'll figure it out. I definetly wouldnt take the 4 wheeler out on uncharted territory this time of year. there cant be that much ice out in the main lake area, add all this snow and I would say the odds are not in your favor quite yet. But I havent been out there. Always better to walk out with the proper precautions and check it before you take out the ATV.

Good advice Farley.

Clearwater has lots of areas with unpredictable ice, such as both narrows, the river inlet and outlet, the Black Pool channel and others. A good general rule is to be suspicious of any areas like points of land, or emergent weeds like rushes or cat tails.

As of last night there was only 5" of ice out from BJ's bait, and that area is usually one of the first to freeze. There are still many dangerous areas for an ATV or sled.

Thanks guys. Good info. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out for a week or so. Pretty cold next week so the ice should be improving by the day.

Out yesterday fishing went well managed to get into some really nice walleye and a few crappies i dont think they have moved in yet but the walleye were on fire!!! Ice was very good 6" easy, wheelers out and snowmobiles

Out yesterday fishing went well managed to get into some really nice walleye and a few crappies i dont think they have moved in yet but the walleye were on fire!!! Ice was very good 6" easy, wheelers out and snowmobiles

I've never actually targeted walleye in the ice, what are you throwing at them if you don't mind sharing a bit?

No problem Josh. I have had the best success on jigging spoons about 1 1/2" long, typically in gold based colors, and tipped with a minnow head. The Buckshot spoons and anything with a winged shape has worked good. Once in a while i will use a jigging Rapala but I seem to do better with the spoons. Glow finish works well too.

josh- believe it or not i actually have just as much success with my crappie jigs for walleyes as i would for crappies.. but i also use a lindy darter and another lindy lure.. seems to work but not like the crappie jigs

• 4 weeks later...

You can drive along the tip of the far south point at the narrows when the ice gets really good but I wouldn't want to be first. The ice there freezes to the bottom of the shallow sandbar REALLY close to shore approach and exit from the S and follow the road. Bite is usually slow by then anyway. There is a "secret access" to the east basin, but the ice is a lot funnier over there. I'd just as soon it stay "inaccessable", same with the bay before grass lake. Get a snowmobile and keep your toes light and your thumb heavy, you can go almost anywhere. Very good walleye bite in front of camp Friendship 12' on swedish pimple and small shiner just b4 sundown the one time I made it out there this year. Everyone's fishing wallys too deep, they're on the weedline all winter.

yes. Some are still at the deep edge in 15-20 fow. I still love a solid transition though. Keep it a secret! 1 bad year of some tearin that secret up and it will be gone. ssssshhh!

• 1 month later...

Any one have an idea where to look? Not much talk on here for a month about this lake... thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how the ice is. Want to get out to the East side clearwater. I got access. I want to drive my midsize truck out. Any news on ice? Thanks much.

On Saturday people were driving cars out and a couple people were driving trucks out of the bait shop access. I had 11" of ice where I was so as the old saying goes "sure, I'de drive YOUR truck out there" I'm sure by today there will be plenty more vehicles on the ice.

Friday I drove by the east end and there were alot of trucks out there, anyone know of an access on the east end?

How thick is the ice at the creek mouths, particularly the otter lake creek mouth coming into the black pool?